clothing- jackets and pants - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

clothing- jackets and pants

I’m a novice rider and I am looking to get a good jacket and possibly pants for around-ish $350 total. Quality matters to me. I hear good things about textile but also some good things about leather, this brand that brand etc etc.

Since I can always replace the bike if anything ever happens that is not the case with me, any advice or reviews of jackets etc would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 11:14 AM

i have both leather and textile gear, but would suggest textile, as it will be more weather resistant, and easier to clean.. leather gets cold and stays cold, textile does a better, job, get a jacket with a full length zip out liner, and above all get one with CE armor, not just foam padding, riding pants with same features is nice, and full length zippers down the sided so you can wear them over your pants or shorts and are easily removeable, check ebay for some nice clean used gear, many people sell this stuff in almost new condition for half price.....ps. make sure you know your sizes before you buy!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 12:25 PM

Leathers are nice but I also prefer Textile but you need some good quality stuff.

try newenough for some things.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 12:34 AM

I'm a newbie too and I did a lot of talkin' to people before I even went to the store. Most folks said textile, for the versitility and functionality. The multi-season jacket and pants have already come in handy here in Oregon - the weather went from 90 yesterday to 60 and rain today. Everyone said to make sure the armor was CE rated.

So then I started going to the bike stores in the area and trying stuff on. Color really didn't matter to me, but yes, most of my gear is black and yes I'm assuming some risk. The retro-reflective qualities, functionality, and fit made my choices.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 09:29 PM

I ordered a Z1R jacket, full zip out liner, CE armor in elbows and shoulders with spine protection, and reflective piping(wife got the same jacket in the ladies model). I have the alpine star Air2 gloves (graphite knuckles), will be getting pants and boots soon. The jacket breathes very well with the textile inserts along the inside of the arms and runs up to the armpits and down the sides. Shoe RF800 helmet (will be getting some reflective stickers for it as well).
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 07:51 AM

Good suggestions already and I'll throw in a few more. Olympia makes good starting gear and you can get it in lime-yellow if you dare. It's a good price and CE rated padding and armor. MotorcycleSuperstore.com always has deals on gear. I bought an Icon jacket last fall for my partner for $70 dollars from them.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 07:07 PM

Check out newenough.com for some great deals. I ordered a Cortech Master GX Air jacket from them. It is textile with leather on the elbows and back and CE armor. It came with a nylon liner and a thermal liner and was on closeout for $109. The website offers insight into how the clothing fits which I found to be spot on for my Cortech jacket.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 11:50 PM

I am a new rider as well. I picked up a Teknic jacket at one of the motorcycle shows that came to town earlier this year. The jacket has a zip out liner and zippered vents on the arms. It has been great in the cool weather, but today was unusally hot for this time of year and I was dripping with sweat after a 20 minute ride. I also have a pair JoeRocket Alter Ego pants, which are pretty comfortable and offer good protection. These pants have 3/4 length zippers, removable waterproof lining, and a zip out vent around the thighs and butt. I am glad I went this good quality, as I put it to the test when I fell off my bike during the motorcycle saftey course. I locked my front wheel in a turn and slide a little with my leg under the bike. I was quite sore, however no road rash and the effects were barely noticeable on my jacket and pants. The other thing is get a good pair of boots, my foot would have been crush if I was not wearing the proper foot wear. I ordered a Joe Rocket Phoenix Mesh jacket today. It has all the armour, waterproof liner, has high breathability. I will probably order the pants as well. One thing to look out for is compatability of connecting zippers for jacket and pants. I found that my Teknic jacket has a zipper tha goes the opposite way of the Joe Rocket pants. It is a challenge to order garments over the web especially this type of stuff because the fit fact is key to protection and comfort.

Good Luck,
Colin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode