Darien vs Rev'It or .... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Darien vs Rev'It or ....

I've been looking at buying a high quality, durable, weatherproof suit (either one piece or jacket and pants) for all types of weather. I started researching the Rev'it Cayenne and that led to the Aerostitch Darien. It's a lot of money and I want to buy the most versatile, high quality suit I can find.

Does anyone here have either gear and what is your opinion? Any comments or thoughts on the new Teiz one-piece suit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 01:32 PM

I don't know that anyone has seen any production models of that Teiz suit yet, but if it is as advertised, it might be worth a look. I've been considering the Olympia Phantom (if I can find one around here to try on).
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 07:32 PM

I am a big Motoport fan. Actually the only jacket I have bought twice. Sold the stitch', never have had a Rev.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 12:47 PM

I currently use a Revit Airforce mesh jacket after exhaustive research I conducted recently on the purchase of a new mesh jacket. Revit makes really good gear and seems to limit the use of polyester on the outer shell and uses nylon (cordura or a cordura like fabric) instead. My jacket is very well made and I will buy more of their products in the future. The Revit Cayanne is a pretty sweet jacket.

I have never been a big fan of the Aerostich but having said that I have never owned their product. I am basing my opinion on the research I have done. I know people swear by their 'stiches but their garments are coated, if I am not mistaken, with polyurethene. This is not something that you want to melt into your skin in a slide. Thie polyurethene is supposed to help in the water proofing of the garment.

My experiance, in about 20 years of riding, is that there is no such thing as 'waterproof' on a bike. Ride for more then 30 mins in a pounding rain and something is going to get wet.

My adivice would be to not be to terribly concerned with the waterproofness of a jacket or suit. Just buy a seperate rain jacket pant combo to put over them in the rain. This will work fine until you start to sweat from the rainsuit that wont breath worth a crap. Oh well, wet from the rain or wet from sweat.

I would much more be concerned with what the garmet is made of and the armor used. Avoid anything polyester and go for nylon or aramid instead. Here are some suggestions for quality moto gear....

Rukka- awesome gear, uses a lot of Armacor which is great, but PRICEY! Not made in china either with is a rare plus. made in finland i think.

Motoport- really good gear made from kevlar and not to bad on price, can sometimes be hard to get a good fit due to every jacket being made to order. i owned a motorport kevlar jacket for many years and only just sold it due to it somehow getting smaller over the years made in the USA as well.

Scorpion XDR gear- seems to be very good, especially the Shock jacket. tried one on in a store and it is very well made.

BMW gear- have heard many good stories about how well made this gear is and the abuse it can take. havent used it personally. if the price justifies it then it should be great gear.

Olympia- seems to be the best of the 'lesser' brands. I own an Olympia Sentry jacket and have used it for a couple of years. Well made chinese textile jacket.

Belstaff Long Way Down jacket- Built like tank, tried one on at a moto show. Seemed to work for Chalie and Ewan on their epic journey. Very nice but a little pricey.

Thats all I can think of for now. Will update if I think of any more. Hope this helps.

"If Caesar was alive today I would be chained to an oar".

This life is a test
It is only a test
Had it been an actual life
You would have received
Further Instructions on
Where to go and what to do

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 09:55 PM

Rode in the rain for 36 hours straight in Alaska/Yukon July 08. Some of it was pounding/sideways pushing the bike all over on gravel and dirt roads.

Gear?

Shoie 900RF
Darien Lite Jacket
Darien Pants
Widder Heated Vest
Lee Parks Gloves
Stich Triple Digit Covers
Danner Fort Lewis Boots

I stayed 99% dry. I was amazed. The high collar on the Widder Vest got a little wet but wasnt bad.

I dont work for Andy Goldfine. (Aerostich) On this interweb thing, there seems to be many opinions about how dated Aerostich products have become. I am not a member of that camp. For me their gear just plain works. And I will argue that, yes, you can stay dry on a motorcycle.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 11:08 PM

I've owned Darien and currently have Tourmaster Tranistion 2. The Aerostitch products are first class but pricey. I think the TM is a great value and a solid product but not quite up there with the 'stitch.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 07:27 AM

I have the Darien Jacket and Pants left over from my touring days and bmw and they still look good and work just fine. Pants sure block the cold wind here lately and are so easy on and off with zippers clear to the waist. I know for a fact they sure stand behind their products. YEs they are pricey. Not sure of any other brands as i haven't tried them. Mine are over 15 years old and many miles and still look great and not one problem. Nice thing they are both waterproof. No need of a raincoat. One less thing to pack or stop and put on.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 08:20 PM

I have had both types of Aerostitch suits (Darien and Roadcrafter) and I have a Rev'It Cayenne jacket (I've had it for a few years - the original version, not the new one).

IMHO, both are well made jacket/suits, both work well in most riding conditions and, without a doubt, both are way over-priced. Yes, they each have some redeeming features that make them somewhat better than your cheaper options, but the reality is that those cheaper options (Tourmaster, FirstGear, Fieldsheer, Olympia, etc.) do 95% of the job, sometimes at 50% of the cost.

Personally, I like the Roadcrafter suit better than the Darien one, it's more versatile (especially if you pick the two-piece version) and it zips together for added safety. Rev'It gear will be more waterproof with the right liners in place, but if you ride in changing weather (especially hot changing weather) liners are a PITA, because as soon as it stops raining and it starts getting hot (and muggy) it's like having your own private Turkish bath... Since I already had a rain jacket I used to wear over the Stitch when it really rained hard, I use it over the Rev'It when the weather is changing fast. It's faster to put it on/take it off road-side than the internal liner (in winter, even fall/spring that isn't a problem, the internal liner is 100% waterproof, I'm talking about summer riding above).

Unlike, siyeh's suit, mine were more of the typical leaky Aerostitch type. The Darien will be more waterproof than the Roadcrafter (Google "leaky crotch" ) due to the larger overlap of the jacket and pants. But I liked the fit of the Roadcrafter better, so I kept it and gave the Darien to someone else. It was good for short periods but eventually both leak through (as it got older, it was down to 2-3 hours tops). I am also in the camp that thinks Andy Goldfine has milked his original idea long enough, it's time he starts updating his line or he will eventually be out of business (as evidenced by me, like many others, going shopping elsewhere when it was time to get a new suit, rather than going back to Aerostitch). My biggest beef is that for that price, it is about time that they added waterproof zippers, a decent liner thermal included at the price and a couple of extra ventilation points that would make it a true all season suit.

One important detail - the fit is completely different. Darien suits are cut to accommodate "prosperous" men. A medium was too narrow in the shoulders but the large felt like a tent (my Roadcrafter suit is 42). Rev'It gear is cut for slimmer ones. I typically wear a medium sized long sleeve shirt, but a large Cayenne fits me perfectly, so you will most likely need to go one, maybe two sizes up from your normal size. If one fits you well, I'm betting the other one wont, which, eventually, may be what really makes the choice for you, more than anything else.

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 06:43 AM

Check www.newenough.com. Great deals on current and close-out gear, and some of the most useful and objective product descriptions you'll come across. I've been a customer for several years, always pleased. Owner Paul Thompson is a great guy, very supportive of the motorcycling community.

I've had a TourMaster jacket and pants for a while, very happy with them. I also picked up an Olympia AirGlide II mesh jacket for warmer weather.

Most people I know with Aerostich gear like the Darien are happy with their purchase after they get over the large sum of cash involved. RoadCrafters are infamous for leaking around the crotch, but Dariens appear better in this regard.

As far as waterproof goes, in my experience what makes riding apparel waterproof is (a) rubber clothing (agh!), (b) GoreTex or (c) annual application of CampDry to all fabrics.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 09:06 AM

Owned 3 pairs of 2 piece Aerostich roadcrafter over the years.
Love them except for the leaky crotch problem.

Also looking for alternative suits.
Came across BMW's Streetguard 3 - SG3 (just out last March) and Comfort Shell reviews.
http://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/uk/en/...html&notrack=1
Pls. see pages 32-33 (SG3) and 34-35 (Comfort Shell)
Not sold here yet but sure it's bloody expensive.
Will close my eyes if I swipe my Visa to buy it.

Thanks for your feedback on the suits out there.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 06:10 PM

I never had an Aerostitch but have recently bought the Rev'it Cayenne Pro after doing a lot of research. I have Aerostitch boots (Sidi) and my experience is that they make very high quality stuff.
As far as my Rev'it jacket goes, I am very pleased with it. Yes, these jackets are overpriced but i was looking for function and protection. i think the lesser priced jackets might do 95% of the job as someone mentioned but that additional 5% might be when you're sliding down the asphalt. What I mean is that tourmaster, firstgear, fieldsheer etc use less expensive materials and that is what will save you when you go down. I was finding it difficult to figure out excactly what type of material some gear was made of. They all use their own name for their textile and I was surprised to see polyester on the garment tags. The Cayenne Pro is made of 1000D and 500D genuine Cordura and that is a known and trusted material. Aerostitch uses 600D cordura. Other Rev'it jackets use 'Kodra' which they (Rev'it USA) told me is made by Shoeller, a well respected company. Just phone Rev'it USA and someone answers the phone and answers all your questions, WOW. I couldn't get Firstgear to answer an email when I had questions.
The Rev'it fits me perfectly. It is just slightly snug with the thermal liner installed and still not too loose without the liners. The pads are all excactly where they should be and don't move around. This is very important. They use a high quality insulation so the liner doesn't need to be so thick (will find out how true this is come winter).
The rev'it cordura does have a waterproof coating but Rev'it told me that they use the thinnest possible coating. This makes it much more comfortable and less likely to melt into your skin as I've heard so many horror stories about.
I haven't tried the rain liner yet but i agree with others that a rain liner is a pain and i will likely get a rain suit to wear over everything or just live with being wet on occassion.
The Rev'it armour is also top quality. They are CE level 2, called SAS. Made of a type of foam that is soft and conforms to your shape but hardens on impact. I believe BMW gear uses the same stuff. Unfortunately the back protector is regular foam, the SAS back protector is an additional option (i think $45).
You mentioned the Tiez 1-piece suit. I was interested in that as well. he originally advertised it as being made of cordura. When I questioned him about the materials i was told that most of the panels were made of polyester and not cordura at all. This would explain the very affordable price. It otherwise seems like a great pice of gear. That guy is really doing his best to satisfy his customers and very forthright in answering questions. I hope he does really well, maybe in the future he will use higher quality materials.

Hope this is somewhat helpful, John
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 07:59 PM

Fieldsheer Cyclone Suit

Hi there,

just found this link today (haven't been oh the net for a while). Don't know if you already bought something, but I bought a Fieldsheer Cyclone suit last fall and I love it. It has the full CE approved safety gear and is very comfortable. I wore it at around 35-40 F and it keeps you nice an cozy and at the upper end in the 80 & 90 it is still very good. The vents in the suit work really well and as long as you are not stopped for to long all is well. But that is with any riding gear in the summer. I can only recommend this suit. It is very well made and well priced. My motto is: Can anything be twice as good for twice the price? Most of the time no. That's why I bought this suit and I am not disappointed.

Cheers

Chris

P.S.: It is quite different in cut from the older Highland II that Fieldsheer had, so you can't compare the two.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 12:00 AM

Garage
Olympia make a one piece suit called the Phantom that sells for $450. It got great reviews on WebBikeWorld.com.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/olymp...ports/phantom/
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 01:10 AM

I have a Kilimanjaro jacket and HT overpants from First Gear. They have worked well for 7 years. The neither use a waterproof liner, and have remained leak free, with the use of Nikwax Techwash. I have found that jackets that use a waterproof liner tend to get heavy when soaked with rain.
I am not sure how the new generation Kilimanjaro jacket compares to mine, but it will be my first look when replacing my current one.
I wear a First Gear mesh jacket and pants when it gets above 75 degrees. I have seen them in action in a 45mph low side, and they held up well.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 07:33 AM

Do not dismiss Joe Rocket; I have a "ballistic" year round that has been thru two "monsoons" on the bike and it does not leak. Only downside is it can get warm (as they all do) at +80 degrees!!
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 09:23 PM

My Joe Rocket textile jacket has been surprisingly durable for a cheap ($130-ish) piece. It is at least five years old, been through everything, and still in great condition.

My Aerostich one-piece Roadcrafter is 16 years old (wow, I just dated myself) and still a great suit. It was all I used for many years, but I have discovered the joy of separate jacket and pants. Now that good riding pants are widely available, it seems to make sense to get components. My Roadcrafter is by no means waterproof, but it has kept me reasonably dry in downpours, relatively cool in hot weather, and it super easy to get on and off. It is not a very warm suit, though. The Aerostich Darien would be near the top of my list for an all-weather jacket. Yes, it is expensive but very well designed and made.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 11:12 AM

gear

I would have to say Rev'it.... Turbine mesh jacket rotor pants both mesh. Nice breathability, well made, armor is comfortable and durable. The fit is close to the body. Very nice looking. Also the knee armor doesn't stick out when viewed from the side. And some reflective accents too. Good luck!
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 05:30 PM

i am gonna sound biased here... but Rev'it! has won me over several times. I am also a very skeptical buyer so I researched all my gear.

I ended up with Rev'it! Rival boots, H20 gloves, dragon Hi-Vis Jacket,& Zip pants.
These all are top notch quality and have had very little issues with them.

Recently, my zip pants started to let water through the inseam. (keep in mind that I ride no matter how the weather looks/except for snow) Anyways, I sent them a picture of my soaked pants and my zip pants wear the moisture came through. Turns out that because of the seam being like a regular pant, when the rider has pressure on his/her inseam (such as the riding position on the versys stock seat) moisture was being pushed through with all the riders weight.
Well, Alli at Rev'it! told me that they would take care of me and to send them my original invoice via email. I got a call from Will yesterday and he told me they would ship me the updated Axis pants that had several different improvements. I told him I have a ride coming up (bear mountain in NY) and I couldnt afford to be without pants. He said no problem, took my credit card info and sent me the new pants with a return label to put back on the box with my old pants inside. Those F'ers were at my doorstep this morning. It needs to be said that I am in philly and they are in NYC, so its not THAT far. But still, friggin kudos to Rev'it! for outstanding customer service and promptness. I will return the old Zip pants and they will take whatever amount they have on hold off my card.

Needless to say, Rev'it! 's quality, style, R&D, and customer service have made a loyal customer out of me. I will look at them first with any future buys.

Just thought I would share.

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 06:39 PM

I've been riding with a Roadgear extreme jacket, and their TDF pants now for 3 years. What really sold me on their products was that their office is in Pueblo West, in fact a block from my house. I was able to see the products and try them on before I bought them. I love the jacket. I vents well, fits good, and is waterproof. The pants are waterproof, but get sweaty as they don't breathe as well as the jacket does. Overall very impressed with the Roadgear products. Checkem out at roadgear.com
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 07:49 PM

I currently have the Rev It Sand jacket and pants with their Zenith H20 gloves for warm weather and the Tempest gloves for the winter riding. Boots are Sidi On Road (awesome). The Rev It gear has served me very well, bought it in June 2010 and now have a full year of riding in everything from 100 degree heat to 15 degrees outside. Also been through some very heavy rain, rode last year for 3 hours from Philly to D.C. in a constant rain, stayed dry through it. Little bit of water got in behind the back collar, but nothing uncomfortable. Did a lot of research and I believe for the money I was willing to spend I got the best gear available. They're new line with the Gore-Tex liners looks very impressive.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode