Rear view helmet! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rear view helmet!

Check this out. http://www.ohgizmo.com/2010/05/11/re...-in-the-visor/

There are no electronics involved, only a series of polycarbonate mirrors that send your rear view image up to your front view, without having to owl your head around, or rely on less than ample side mirrors.

If I run into some money, I may get one. The mirrors on my Versys do not give me much of a rear view. I don't know if it's because I have broad shoulders, or what, but my KLR had a MUCH better rear view than does my Versys. That's probably my biggest (if not only) gripe about the Versys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 04:36 AM

Mirror extenders are a whole lot cheaper!

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 06:09 AM

I think I'd be so distracted I'd likely crash and burn on the first day. From the screenshot it looks to block a fair amount of the forward view to me. BUT they are trying.

BUT remember the line in the movie When the Italian driver rips the rear view mirror of the car a tossed over his shoulder?

"1st'a rule of'a Italian driving, Whats'a behind you, Shes'a no important"

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 06-01-2013 at 06:21 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 02:18 PM

Part of me thinks it's awesome and wants one. The other part of me says I'd be distracted and probably less safe. I'll stick to checking over my shoulder.

"Negative Ghost Rider the pattern is full."
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 08:29 PM

Rear-view camera

Now I'm wondering if I should try mounting my iphone 5 such that I could use it as a rear-view camera? The phone needs to save me from purchasing other devices/services in order to justify the high cost of the phone. So far its doing this cost justification pretty good.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 10:38 AM

I have tried one on at a motorbike show. The mirror is surprisingly small and you have to look up at it as it is not in your line of site.

I have read reviews, and can well believe it is the case that you have to use the helmet for a while to get used to using the mirror and being able to look up glance in it and see what is there.

Once you are used to it it works really well. The helmet itself is very comfortable.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 09:28 PM

Garage
Cool!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I tried one of these on in a local store. It's cool but IMO not really a great value. The rear view feature really does work but you have to look way, way up in a tiny mirror to see anything. Also the quality of the fit seems low for the helmet's mid price point. It kinda feels like a $100 helmet even though it costs $300. Perhaps this has to do with the extra cost of manufacturing the rear view feature. My experience has been the after market Aprilia Tuono mirrors work better and cost less. They eliminate the need for mirror extenders and only cost ~$45 for a set of two vs big bucks for this helmet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode