Polarized Sunglasses and helmet visor - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Polarized Sunglasses and helmet visor

I wear prescription polarized sunglasses and absolutely love them. The polarizing cuts down on the glare so much its amazing. I recently started riding and got a scorpion exo 1100 helmet and the visor (like most brands) says it is optically correct. Yet, I still get a rainbow hue with the visor down. This is only with my polarized sunglasses in case someone tries to say I have a bad visor. I asked my local shop where I bought the helmet and they called up the distributor who said this is common with all helmet visors and polarized glasses.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any replacement visors that don't give a rainbow effect? Is it just this helmet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 11:33 PM

Yup. I get the rainbow with both my Shoei and Arai. You ill get this with any cured polycarbonate surface.

I just went with a dark visor and wear my regular glasses.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Which eliminates the polarized advantage unfortunately.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 11:38 PM

Yup. But I found the rainbows seriously distracting.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 07:19 AM

I have polarized sunglasses but never use them riding or driving. Much as I'd like the glare-reducing qualities, the tricks that polarized lenses play on curved surfaces are too distracting. I save them for general outdoors activities and boating.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
that rainbow is cause by the remnant stress put in the visor when it was bent.
we had more labs at university where we studied polarized fringes with polarized glass (same found in polarized sun glasses)
I used polarized sun glasses with my HJC CL-15 and I had some "rainbow" on the right side, but not too distracting.
Now I have a HJC IS-16 with integrated sun visor and I love it ( not polarized)..

Versys 2015 Green
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I wear polarized clip on sunglasses and don't notice a rainbow with my Bell Star helmet shields. Sometimes the digital display is hard to read thow. Notice that if you rotate your glasses that the polarizing rotates and sometimes that cures not being to see digital displays like some gas pumps.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Absolutely, LCD displays can be tough. I am a computer technician and rotating my head gives an obvious effect that is a little shocking the first time you experience it. Same principle as privacy filters common in the medical industry.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Same here.
Polarized prescription sunglases and Zeus modular helmet. I havent found helmet or visor that is 100% optically correct. I get some of the rainbow effects but not as much as I feared. Or i got used to it. Last time i seriously cracked up was when I saw purplish glare from some dudes forehead.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 11:33 AM

Garage
Polarize lens cuts down on peripheral vision, so I don't wear those while driving my car or my bike

On outdoor sports, it's great, but not when peripheral vision is key

LOP
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Polarize lens cuts down on peripheral vision, so I don't wear those while driving my car or my bike

On outdoor sports, it's great, but not when peripheral vision is key

LOP
How's that? My peripheral vision is not even through my lenses.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Indeed I'm no polarized expert but that doesn't make sense to me. If you have a wrap around style glasses then the lense would curve and still do its job for peripheral vision. If for some reason the lense blocks light from the curve then they are just bad glasses. I had a pair like that that wasn't polarized. They curved so far around that my whole view was protected by them and even the frame did not block vision.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 08:55 AM

Garage
Don't have the technicalities, but aks you optometrist and he will explain ...

LOP
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 01:06 PM

Happened to me when I wore my polarized glasses with the shield on my joe rocket helmet. I don't wear mine anymore when riding becuase it was annoying me. And for any display that you can't see with polarized glasses its because there is a polarized filter on the display as well and you are crossing the axes of the filters 90 degrees to oneanother, if you tilt your head it will uncross them and you will be able to see.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I tried polarizing sunglasses UNTIL I wore them in a cockpit. The distortion thru the windshields was enough to make me puke.

Gave them away.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 03:48 PM

Same problem with polarized clipons. I wear clipon shades over my regular glasses. I finally found un-polarized clipons and they fixed my rainbow problems. I just couldn't get used to the rainbow effect and now I make sure I have at least one, if not two backup clipons laying around.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 06:36 PM

(From the FAA regarding polarized glasses)
Polarized lenses are not recommended for use in the aviation environment. While useful for blocking reflected light from horizontal surfaces such as water or snow, polarization can reduce or eliminate the visibility of instruments that incorporate anti-glare filters. Polarized lenses may also interfere with visibility through an aircraft windscreen by enhancing striations in laminated materials and mask the sparkle of light that reflects off shiny surfaces such as another aircraft’s wing or windscreen, which can reduce the time a pilot has to react in a “see-and-avoid” traffic situation. (Airliners.net, 2009)

I have a pair of non-polarized American Optical sunglasses with the bayonet temples to use while wearing my helmet, they work great.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 09:04 PM

I wear prescription polarized sunglasses as well, never noticed a rainbow effect with my HJC helmet.

'09 Candy Plasma Blue Versys 650 (the fastest color)
Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spackler View Post
(From the FAA regarding polarized glasses)
Polarized lenses are not recommended for use in the aviation environment. While useful for blocking reflected light from horizontal surfaces such as water or snow, polarization can reduce or eliminate the visibility of instruments that incorporate anti-glare filters. Polarized lenses may also interfere with visibility through an aircraft windscreen by enhancing striations in laminated materials and mask the sparkle of light that reflects off shiny surfaces such as another aircraft’s wing or windscreen, which can reduce the time a pilot has to react in a “see-and-avoid” traffic situation. (Airliners.net, 2009)

I have a pair of non-polarized American Optical sunglasses with the bayonet temples to use while wearing my helmet, they work great.
Not recommended for motorcycling either, as the polarized lenses interferes with the ability to see oil and other slick spots on the road surface.

Deb
CO

So many bikes, so little dinero
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 08:49 AM

Garage
Hum

Guess my comment is starting to make sens ...

LOP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode