Waterproof Sprays - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Waterproof Sprays

When it comes to waterproof materials, I think you have A) solid seamless industrial rubber, or B) Water RESISTANT.

That "resistance" will always be overcome by the amount, force and/or duration of exposure to the wet.

So, my question, for those of you with leather and textile touring gear and boots that are reported to be "waterproof" (which I'd argue in most cases to be "water resistant"), what - if any - kind of silcone or fabric spray do you use to treat that gear? And how often?

Seems even good water resistant gear could loose the ability to bead water after time and a spritz of some spray may help restore it.

Always trust your cape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 08:54 AM

First, for motorcycling in rain, nothing stops water better than purpose-designed rain gear. I have still never found waterproof gloves so when it's raining and I'm riding I put on rubber overgloves ($3 from Aerostich) which work great. I have a pair of Gore-Tex riding boots that have never leaked in 5+ years including some major frog stranglers.

Second, as to the OP's question, I have found that CampDry does a good job of making textile riding apparel water resistant. It's the same stuff I spray on a tent to make water bead up and run off instead of seep through. Will it turn your textile jacket into a purpose-designed rain jacket? Nope, but it'll help. How often do I use it? Well, after I find myself in a hard rain, I'll wait until the apparel dries and reapply the spray before riding again when I may get wet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 09:46 AM

I use Nikwax on leather gloves and boots, maybe on every month or two, or right before a long trip. Was using a Rukka suit, so gore-tex, no treatment needed always waterproof. Now with my Macna jacket I'll probably try and see if I can just treat with Nikwax without having to zip in the waterproof liner when it rains. If it doesnt quite work, I'll probably just buy rain gear for long trip, nothing can beat PVC when it comes to waterproofing.

A few years ago I went to NewYork with some friend, most had expensive racing boots, leather gear and what not...I had a Dainese leather jacket, BMW cotton/cordura pants, and Dainese leather boots. I had a Rhino rain jacket and pants for when it rained. One day we went through the most intense storm I have ever seen. Trees fallen on the road, we litteraly drove under a fallen tree while there was a car lineup that were waiting for the firemen to come cut the tree out of the way.

Well once at the hotel, after hours of downpooring rain, I teased the others that I had to go put some lotion on since my skin was so dry You could hear them walk in their boots filled with water, I also had boot covers. So for about 100$ you are 100% waterproof, and when the sun comes out you just put it back in your luggage and you're on your way...

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I wear rain-gear (carried in my backpack so FAST to get to when rain threatens...), and just got some waterproof overboots to put over the boots I'm wearing, including MX boots. I'll see how well THEY work when I "do" the D2D in June, because it's WHEN it rains, not IF...!

My "waterproof" leather riding-boots... AREN'T (after the first half-hour of downpour or so).

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 05-09-2013 at 01:37 PM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 02:01 PM

Yeah... I keep a set of real rain gear along. My textile gear says stuff like "waterproof" and "water resistant" all over it, but it isn't even close. What they don't tell you is the material that supposedly makes them waterproof is the interior liner... which is on the inside.. and is the liner you remove when it gets hot outside. And what good is an interior liner being waterproof when the oustide soaks through, runs down your back or at your wrists.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 02:37 PM

I learned my lesson a while back with 260$ Alpinestar "waterproof" gloves...after a ride in the rain they weighted about 5lbs each...I contacted Alpinestar and they said it was waterproof for a certain amount of time...ah they should put that on the product description. "Kind of waterproof, in certain conditions, as long as it doesn't rain too much and you allow to fully dry after 5 minutes of exposure to rain"...but then...who would pay 260$ right? There was a membrane inside but even that wasnt keeping the fully soaked leather from transferring water back inside, and then because of membrane it would take like 2 days to dry...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have a Tourmaster purpose specific rain suit that does work very well, but even that leaked in the crotch a bit after hours of heavy rain one day last Summer.

For touring, when you're gone for a few weeks and any rain could (likely WILL) be around some days, I have a new Scott textile jacket and pants. My kitchen faucet test shows the water beads well, but I don't have a practical ride-in-the-rain test yet. I skipped some suits that have interior rain liners for reasons listed above. The Scott suit has a "gore-tex" like material to keep the wet out (I hope) I just think it may benefit from a spray on boost some day.

Same for my boots. I have ICON Reigns, new at Christmas. Again, no real world wet test yet. Good reviews on them which I hope are true, because I find the pull over boots to be clumsy and I HATE wet feet.

I wear neoprene paddle gloves. No crash protection, but dry and good grip on controls. Get sweaty hands though. I got caught in a heavy unexpected downpour on the BRP last Summer. No where safe to pull over and 15 minutes later when we did pull off, there was no shelter. We had removed our rain gear mere minutes before this storm (damn mountains) I was so frustraed that I pitched my soaked-through Icon Merc gloves right off the cliff. Felt like an ass after, because I really liked those gloves...

Always trust your cape.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 06:58 PM

+1 for Camp Dry, but I also pack rain gear that keeps me pretty dry. Sidi boots that have never leaked, although I did have water wick up my pant legs b/c my pants were sticking out of my rain gear about an inch. Water went up the pant legs then down the socks - lesson learned!

Deb
CO

So many bikes, so little dinero
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
When it comes to waterproof materials, I think you have A) solid seamless industrial rubber, or B) Water RESISTANT.

That "resistance" will always be overcome by the amount, force and/or duration of exposure to the wet.

So, my question, for those of you with leather and textile touring gear and boots that are reported to be "waterproof" (which I'd argue in most cases to be "water resistant"), what - if any - kind of silcone or fabric spray do you use to treat that gear? And how often?

Seems even good water resistant gear could loose the ability to bead water after time and a spritz of some spray may help restore it.

If you put water proof sealer on the exterior of leather Goretex boots they will no longer be breathable. Same with any product with a breathable liner.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 04:10 AM

I've been using a Hein Gericke Gore-Tex (Tricky 3) suit for the last five years and its been great. I've used it on a sports bike in some properly heavy downpours and the worst I've ever got is a very slightly damp crotch where water would collect.

I wash it every 6 months or so (depending on the state of it) with Nikwax Tech Wash which revitalises the Gore-Tex membrane. I've also got a pair of HG Gore-Tex leather gloves which have been good, but not as thoroughly tested as the suit and a pair of Puma Brutale Gore-Tex boots which I treat with Nikwax Leather Gore-Tex cleaner/reviver, they've done the same mileage as the suit (15k ish) and are holding up well.

I only trust Gore-Tex labelled products to be properly water 'proof'.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 06:39 AM

I have my HT boxes permently mounted so I always have my rain gear handy. I use a cheap yet effective two-piece rain suit that I picked up at Sam's club a few years ago when it was hurricane prep season. It's not pretty but it's quite effective. I also carry NEOS Adventurer overshoes that I was turned on to by a friend who works for the Postal Service. They are awesome! As for gloves... I just have wet, soaked hands inside my Held Agadirs... I need to pick up some rubber overgloves I suppose.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 07:31 AM

Garage
I'm not set up for long distance rides yet and we don't get a whole lot of big, long-lasting soakers in Denver, but I am tempted to coat some riding gear with this stuff.

http://youtu.be/MzG6YBjumsU

'09 Versys
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 07:58 AM

http://www.globalindustrial.ca/g/jan...y-coating-2240

Expensive...and leaves a translucent white coat...it says for industrial and commercial usage and it looks just like that. Very impressive. But I think coating your jacket like that would be like wearing a PVC jacket for breathability, not bad if your in the rain, but on hot sunny days, not so great...
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
...As for gloves... I just have wet, soaked hands inside my Held Agadirs... I need to pick up some rubber overgloves I suppose.
Gene - I bought a pair of BILT leather gloves w/ molded knuckle protection for around $19 or $29 at Cycle Gear, and they're labelled "waterproof". Wore them thru a few downpours on last week's 2,000 km ride, and my hands stayed dry. FYI.

They'll be in my back-pack w/ my rain-gear on Friday's Alaska ride commencement...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 12:53 PM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Gene - I bought a pair of BILT leather gloves w/ molded knuckle protection for around $19 or $29 at Cycle Gear, and they're labelled "waterproof". Wore them thru a few downpours on last week's 2,000 km ride, and my hands stayed dry. FYI.

They'll be in my back-pack w/ my rain-gear on Friday's Alaska ride commencement...!
Thought you were going to say WD-40. Thank goodness!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:

Thanks Eddie... Found them and putting a pair on order!

EDIT: Even got 10% off going through AAFES. Yay!

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

Last edited by genehil; 06-10-2013 at 02:24 PM.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I wear rain-gear (carried in my backpack so FAST to get to when rain threatens...), and just got some waterproof overboots to put over the boots I'm wearing, including MX boots. I'll see how well THEY work when I "do" the D2D in June, because it's WHEN it rains, not IF...!

My "waterproof" leather riding-boots... AREN'T (after the first half-hour of downpour or so).
Quote:

Here are the ones I bought (and recommend, because they work for me... so far!):
http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/S...395_59409_1936

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode