Macna Geo jacket review - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Macna Geo jacket review (vs Rukka suit)

Ok so I've been using Rukka suits for over 6 years now, just bought my 2nd one last year for around 1100$ (just the jacket, pants were around 800$). I preferred my previous Rukka jacket. On the new one, when I started riding with it, a few things started annoying me. Collar that lets cold air in your back, and in hot weather no vents (yes thats a 1100$ jacket, no vents) so it gets freakin' hot. Basically very comfortable when riding between 15 and 25C but sizing wasnt as good as previous one.

I'm selling my Rukka suit, it should cover the price of this new Macna suit. With Macna you do need to order one size up, as their sizing is small, I usually wear Large and the XL is slightly snug when I put all liners in. Without the winter liner, it fits like a glove, sleeves are long enough, collar can be closed enough so air doesnt make it in, and you can remove part of the front and back to expose mesh. I just tried it and it's freakin' awesome you can really feel the air go through while still having way more protection then a mesh jacket. The only downside is the waterproof liner is not laminated directly to the shell. But then again at that price, I can live with that tiny inconvenience and will appreciate it when it's really hot.

This Geo jacket is almost 700$ less then what I paid for my Rukka...and it has about 10 times the features. It's designed in the Netherlands...they seem to know a thing or 2 about temperature fluctuations and precipitations. Plenty of customers are super satisfied with Rukka gear, but for me it was my last experience with them, simply not worth the price considering what you get for it. If you want a Rukka jacket I suggest you buy a used one then you'll get your money's worth.

To give you an idea on the sizing with Macna jackets, I'm 6'1", 185lbs, good shoulders, long arms, and this thing in XL just fits nicely!

I'm canadian so ordered from aviciouscycle.ca (and received the next day!!) for americans, you can buy from Twistedthrotlle.com

http://aviciouscycle.ca/mainpages/pr...productid=3856

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/macna...orcycle-jacket

In some of the pictures it looks brownish black, but in person it really is black. The quality for the price is really nothing short of impressive. Really thrilled with it. I'll post pics later on

Last edited by Kawa007; 05-14-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 02:03 PM

Thanks for the review, it looks like a great jacket for the price.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

OK guys so I told you I liked the jacket. I gotta update on that..I LOVE it, LOVE it, LOVE it.

The mesh pannel at the front is simply amazing. I've ridden in near 30C temperatures and it felt like it was about 22C...Really impressed. If you want a 3 season jacket, this baby is it!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 07:37 AM

I think my next set of gear will be macna, the guys at twisted throttle swear by it and I trust their opinions on ADV/touring gear.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

The only flaw I have found so far (for me) is I wish jacket was maybe 1.5-2" shorter. Cause I'm 6'1" but all legs. Otherwise it's super comfortable, breathes well, and fits like a glove.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Had to post an update. This weekend I rode down to Toronto from Montreal (about 7 hour ride), it was 6C (-1C with humidex and wind factor - before counting in the motorcycle wind factor on the highway so probably -15C). And it was raining...I had a normal thermal shirt, the warm liner and waterproof membrane zipped in. I also had a baklava. The only thing that got humid after a while was the backlave between the colar and the helmet, but really not even enough to become uncomfortable. It stopped raining and jacket shell had time to dry before I arrived in Toronto, when I took it off I was bone dry under. Really impressed, the collar can be really adjusted to your neck so no wind or rain makes it down. Now I just need to have the pants made they dont have the LXL in stock (tall version). But really these guys make amazing gear at an amazing price. Highly recommended if your tall and slim and nothing else fits you properly

Oh and I also bought cheap glove rain covers...and noticed how much it makes of a difference to keep hands warm! I'll be wearing them not only in the rain, but when it gets really cold and heated grips can't keep up because of the wind. This just keeps like a warm pocket of air around the gloves. Best 5$ I spent in quite some time

Last edited by Kawa007; 05-28-2013 at 07:34 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 08:49 AM

Thanks for the review, we've been looking for a good 3 season jacket. Do you have a link for the waterproof glove covers?

Thanks!

Deb
CO

So many bikes, so little dinero
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Yes it's definetely a 3 season jacket (if not 4 depending on where you live). Never had a better jacket in the hot, and never had a better jacket in the cold.

http://www.chokodesign.com/catalog/m...noverglove.htm

Choko rain over gloves.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 03:31 PM

Thanks for the review. I'm 6'2" 185# with a long mid section. This looks perfect for me! Here in SE NC this will most likely be able to serve as a 4 season jacket too.

"Negative Ghost Rider the pattern is full."
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

it will fit you like a glove.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
geo, jacket, macna

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode