Kevlar Jeans - Help - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Kevlar Jeans - Help

I'm looking for some advice from those of you who have experience with some of the Kevlar lined jeans. What do you have and how do you feel about their comfort and protection.

I have a pair of the AD1 pants from AeroStich but I'm looking for something for short trips that is a little more convenient but still offers some protections. CE knee pads that are easily removable would be a plus.

Aerostich - They make a pair with externally accessible knee pockets but just a double layer of denim in the critical areas, no kevlar.

Sliders - Kevlar and some type of knee pad attachment, not sure how it works.

AGV - Just released a new model "Corsica" that has Kevlar and was supposed to have knee pad pockets but does not.

Bull-It - Can't find much more than a youtube video. Look nice but I'd like to know details, price, and where to get them.

I know there are a lot of others out there (Draggin, Joe Rocket, etc) but I also need to be able to get them in a 32 or 34 inch waist and a 36 inch length which is where the problem lies.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Mitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 06:53 PM

Draggin jeans all the way. I love mine. The others just seem to be cut for women.

FYI,I wear a 34, 36. So you should be OK with that brand.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
This might work for ya..http://www.bohn-armor-pants.com/cata...BArmor%2BPants

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Those look interesting. Never heard of them before...do you use these?
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow-Steady View Post
I'm looking for some advice from those of you who have experience with some of the Kevlar lined jeans. What do you have and how do you feel about their comfort and protection.
I have some which I wear sometimes in warm weather (with Knox strap on knee armor underneath). But I think the protection of them and most kevlar lined jeans is poor. The kevlar blend reinforcement may (or may not) have sufficient abrasion resistance, but from what I read, the seam burst strength and the integrity of the garment is really poor on many of them. Also on many the coverage is insufficient: many don't cover the side of the leg. Knees and butt isn't enough if you're sliding on your side.

There are a few choices now in CE rated jeans. There's even a pair that's CE level 2 rated which means it passes a higher safety standard than most leather riding pants.
http://bull-it.com/

For CE level 1:
http://www.drayko.com/
I think these are the Australian Draggin Jeans rebranded to sell in the USA (which has its own Draggin Jeans).

Last edited by davidg; 04-13-2013 at 07:21 PM.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avande View Post
Those look interesting. Never heard of them before...do you use these?

Not yet. I've been looking at them and because i have a hard enough time finding jeans that fit so these could go under my jeans.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
AGV - Just released a new model "Corsica" that has Kevlar and was supposed to have knee pad pockets but does not.
Knee pad pockets aren't necessary. If you're wearing jeans on the moto, you probably want to be dressed in regular clothes. With the knee armor in the pockets they may hang funny and look odd when you're off the bike. And the knee armor won't be as secure as strap on knee armor anyway. So I wear that under the jeans.

Wearing jeans with the armor in pockets can be sort of like giving up safety for style and getting neither.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 07:54 PM
MTS

I really like the Sliders. Good reviews and not a ton of money. I bought a second pair and ride with them all the time!

They run two sizes too big and have plenty of room.

Knee armor you have to order seperate which was great for me as the armor bothers my knees. The pant has a knee pocket.

I don't know one thing about the other pants.

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by MTS; 04-13-2013 at 08:01 PM.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'm looking for some riding pants with protection that I can wear all day at work (no jeans allowed). I commute about 12km one way each day.
I saw some office pants, but nothing good.....

HELP!!

Versys 2015 Green
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 08:23 PM

For work? Just get riding pants and wear them over your work pants
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 10:52 PM

Yeah, if I tried to wear work pants I'd catch a big old squishy bug on the way in to an important meeting.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 12:02 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Any motorcycle jeans I've seen are cut like farmers jeans. Recommend Dragginjeans liners worn under regular jeans with maybe Icon or simliar knee shin protection. They are all Kevlar with double layers over the strike points.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcampana View Post
For work? Just get riding pants and wear them over your work pants
that's one solution, but in the summer, at 35C I don't feel like........
I'm looking for another solution...

Versys 2015 Green
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 08:49 AM

http://www.kyrano-uk.com/acatalog/c6...eans-mens.html

I bought a pair of these, they got D30 in the knees and hips.
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 08:51 AM

Diamond Gusset

http://store.americangusset.com/defenders.html

I have Diamonds and they look great and feel like regular jeans.
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
I'm looking for some riding pants with protection that I can wear all day at work (no jeans allowed). I commute about 12km one way each day.
I saw some office pants, but nothing good.....

HELP!!
Would these work for you?

http://www.aerostich.com/clothing/cl...ng-khakis.html

I also sent AeroStich an e-mail asking them how they felt about the abrasion resistance of the double layer denim in the seat of their Protekt jeans and if they had ever considered adding a Kevlar or similar material between the layers for added protection.

I really like that their knee armor is removable from the outside. I'm just looking for a little added protection for those trips out for dinner, movie, etc. where I can just walk in when I get there. These would be great because I could just quickly pull the knee armor out.

I may have to take a ride to Stich as soon as the snow is gone and look at them in person.

Mitch
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
that's one solution, but in the summer, at 35C I don't feel like........
I'm looking for another solution...
Is it often 35C during your commute times? In Canada? Even on the rare days it hits 40C here I'm fine commuting with motorcycle pants over my jeans. But it's not 40 when I commute. Unvented overpants over jeans isn't that big a deal in the Summer for me. If it were I'm not averse to wearing moto pants and changing at work. That's what I used to do when I was an occasional commuter--I hated the idea and feel of 2 layers of pants. Now that I commute it regularly I don't mind and it's more convenient. But if it's only a rare day that it's uncomfortable try something else.
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Recommend Dragginjeans liners worn under regular jeans...
http://www.dragginjeans.com/ProductI...ductid=DLINERS

+1

I wear these as well.

post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 08:15 PM

I use these http://www.hoodjeans.co.uk/acatalog/...cle-jeans.html
They are comfortable with knee sliders
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:

I have a pair of the AD1 pants from AeroStich but I'm looking for something for short trips that is a little more convenient but still offers some protections. CE knee pads that are easily removable would be a plus.

Aerostich - They make a pair with externally accessible knee pockets but just a double layer of denim in the critical areas, no kevlar.

Sliders - Kevlar and some type of knee pad attachment, not sure how it works.

Bull-It - Can't find much more than a youtube video. Look nice but I'd like to know details, price, and where to get them.

I know there are a lot of others out there (Draggin, Joe Rocket, etc) but I also need to be able to get them in a 32 or 34 inch waist and a 36 inch length which is where the problem lies.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Mitch
I have 2 pairs of SLIDERS 4.0 KEVLAR, one jeans, the other cargo, and I love them. I chose them over the other brands because of the wider area of protection, more kevlar lining. Thank goodness I haven't had the need for them so far. They have mesh compartments for optional knee paddings which I also bought, but decided early on not to put them on as the pants themselves are loose fitting and on impact the paddings might move around and not provide the intended protection. Instead, I wear the SHIFT knee/sheen guards under them.

webBikeWorld did a review of the SLIDERS recently and here's the link:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/slide...r-cargo-pants/

Also, at competition accessories- I saw a video of these pants wherein they describe the features of the pants. here's the link:
http://www.compacc.com/p/Sliders-Kev...Pants-Seasonal

I hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode