Shoei TZ-R? Opinions... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Shoei TZ-R? Opinions...

This helmet fits me really well. Been using an HJC AC-12 for the last few years. Decent fit, but really noisy. Anyone use this lid? I haven't purchased yet.

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet.aspx?TZ-R&h=4&t=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tide_tc5.jpg (31.2 KB, 80 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 03:30 PM

I did exactly the same thing. Had HJC for quiet a few years and went to the Shoei TZ. Never going back. Quiter, a little snugger, and much less buffet. Go for it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 03:39 PM

not to get too of topic, but anyone have opinions on Airoh helmets?

They are italian made and not available in the US (ah how we love internet sales...).
I googled their site, and though it's all in italian, I found some really cool stuff on there, and they look to be great quality.
***keep in mind that, they label what we call modular helmets as "open face"... their open face as "jet style", and their "modulars" are actually full face that the whole bottom can be removed from, so that it is what we would call an "open face." (pretty sweet design) Damn Italians...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by amir_zwara; 02-12-2009 at 03:52 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

They are sharp looking, but I've read a couple of different reports that give them less than good ratings on safety. Of course, we're all grown ups & can determine risk for ourselves. I think webbikeworld has a pretty good set of charts showing helmet ratings, but I can't remember if that's where I read the negative reviews...

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitmind View Post
This helmet fits me really well. Been using an HJC AC-12 for the last few years. Decent fit, but really noisy. Anyone use this lid? I haven't purchased yet.

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet.aspx?TZ-R&h=4&t=1
My last helmet was a TZ-R. Just replaced it with the next model up Shoei, the RF1000. Both are good helmets, but really it's about finding a helmet that fits the shape of your head. Shoei's fit rounder heads. If you've tried it on and it feels comfortable then you won't be disappointed with anything else on the helmet, IMHO. Changing visors is a cinch and it has a nice lever on the left hand side which lets you open the visor just a crack to alleviate fog-ups. The RF has a bit more aerodynamic shape, which was why I went for it (and it wasn't that much more expensive than the TZ). Bought mine on the internet from Riders Discount. It was brand new, which might seem obvious but it's just to say that some of the lids you find at bike dealerships have been sitting around for years, and they do have a shelf life after all.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 06:40 PM

Without a doubt my TZ-R is the best helmet I've ever had on my head. Very, very quiet and it doesn't rip your head off when shoulder checking at speed. I do wish there were a few more vents but the real hot day's up here are far and few between.

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I tried the RF-1000 as well but the fit just wasn't as nice for my head. I've ordered one with the graphics on the pic in my original post from my local dealer. Glad to here that others have found it to be quiet. Webbikeworld really liked it but I love forums like this where you can get unbiased opinion. Looking forward to retiring my HJC!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 07:26 PM

Funny, the RF1000 didn't fit me, either. TZ fits like a glove. I don't know what I will do if they ever stop making it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode