Jacket for hot weather??? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Jacket for hot weather???

I live in south florida and it gets hot 8 months of the year.

What riding jacket/gloves do you recommend for hot weather?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 03:12 PM

BMW Savanah. Pricey, but worth it.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 04:10 PM

Mesh that allows a lot of air flow.

A mesh jacket will actually keep you cooler and less dehydrated than just wearing a T shirt because it keeps the sweat more on your skin and keeps the sun off your skin.

Where you'll feel more heat with the mesh jacket is when you come to a stop, but stops are short compared to riding time.

As they say, I'd rather sweat than bleed. Look at pictures of people with road rash then ask yourself, would you rather look "cool" risking damage, or think for yourself and do something about it.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 04:50 PM

Vanson makes nice ventilated leather jackets.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

I wear a mesh jacket. It works pretty good. There are many options. My advice is to try on a few & see how they fit. My jacket is a little heavy. It has armor & a liner for cold weather, but I like it. There's no way I would wear leather in the summer here, & I would imagine your summers are very similar to ours.

This is the jacket I wear:

http://www.armoredrider.com/mod/prod...source=Froogle

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 08:40 AM

I usually wear a mesh jacket in Summer. I find I can stay more comfortable if I wear a "technical" shirt underneath, like Under Armour or one of the many similar brands.

I just picked up a leath mesh jacket, but I've only had a chance to ride in it once.

I got the leather mesh jacket from New Enough. I have no stake in the company, I'm just a satisfied customer. They buy discontinued models and sell them at a discount. Stocks vary, but if you keep checking back you canusually find something good.

-Alan
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 02:14 PM
psc

Motoport kevlar mesh jacket and pants. It's pricey, but then it's your body, your decision.
I quit wearing mesh leather because of the upkeep. Sweat is not good for the leather, neither is rain, unless the jacket is thoroughly dried out at room temperature.
The Motoport gear has good armor and can stand the sweat/rain. In fact, I rode through a torrent in the summer without putting on any rain gear. Everything got wet. It cooled my core down. Then the moto breeze dried everything. I was good to go.

Peter
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 04:47 PM

I picked up a Teknic Mesh Jacket from NewEnough on clearance for like $50. It serves it's purpose well and kept me cool in the 100+ month of August up here in the Midwest. We get the best of both worlds, -20 in the winter and 100+ in August.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 05:11 PM

I like my Nitro mesh a lot better then my First Gear mesh. In SC. so summers can be rough.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 05:47 PM

I have a TourMaster Intake 2 mesh jacket that served me well last summer. It is fairly heavy, but breaths really well.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 07:46 PM

on really scorching days i soak my t-shirt in water then put on my mesh jacket..the airflow throught he jacket will cool your shirt down to a very nice level...works great...i have at times even wetted the liner in my helmet...feels like air conditioning on your head
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxifer View Post
I picked up a Teknic Mesh Jacket from NewEnough on clearance for like $50. It serves it's purpose well and kept me cool in the 100+ month of August up here in the Midwest. We get the best of both worlds, -20 in the winter and 100+ in August.
I got two of those Teknic mesh armored jackets, they're great! I actually can wear them most of the year here in San Diego by layering a sweater underneath. Great in the summer, still warm but not as warm as others, and perfect when underway. New Enough has had them on sale a couple times at least, the price can't be beat. Good quality armor too.

dm

DM
2009 Kawasaki Versys, "Dr Doom"
2009 Suzuki Burgman 650, "StormTrooper"
2003 Suzuki Burgman 400, "Yoda"

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 10:04 AM

I was in this same boat last summer, and after a few weeks or research, I decided to get a mesh jacket. I ended up buying the Airborne Mesh jacket from SHIFT RACING. I paid $100, and it was worth every penny. After almost a year of use it has held up very well, and I highly reccomend it.

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 07:22 PM

I wear a Joe Rocket Phoenix 2 Jacket and the Phoenix pants (mesh textile with armor). It gets right toasty where I live (St. George, UT), easily 100 degrees or hotter most summer days. But, the humidity is quite low. Anyway, these work good! The air flows right through.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 11:45 PM

I have a Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 and it can handle the hot weather here in DC with no problems.

I used to have a Rev'It Air Force jacket, but the air flow just wasn't that good unless you were riding at highway speeds. I do a lot of stop and go traffic riding, so I need it to work well.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPrice View Post
I wear a Joe Rocket Phoenix 2 Jacket and the Phoenix pants (mesh textile with armor). It gets right toasty where I live (St. George, UT), easily 100 degrees or hotter most summer days. But, the humidity is quite low. Anyway, these work good! The air flows right through.
Whoops! You asked about gloves too. I also have Joe Rocket 3.0 gloves, they are well armored, comfortable and the wind blows through them pretty well. The Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket has a waterproof liner, which when zipped in, makes the jacket windproof, and suitable for cooler riding weather. The Joe Rocket pants do not have a liner.
Hope this helps, Bob
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 08:37 AM

Hi

I live in Israel so we have about the same weather. My summer jacket, that I used 8 months a year, is a DAINESE Zentex
It has the best protections (hard, not soft) and it is very ventilated.
Don't forget to add the back protection.

Last edited by oren; 02-18-2009 at 04:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode