What do you wear when you ride? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 160 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

What do you wear when you ride?

It seems to me that everyone here gears up all the time when they ride.

I am just not comfortable without gear on.

How do you feel?

I am Full Helmet, Gauntlet Gloves, Jacket,(leather or Textile depending on season, and at least draggin jeans (or other touring or leather pants) and boots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 160 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 12:37 PM

I wear everything except for pants. I know I should but the trouble for me far outweighs the damage that "could" be done. But I never ride without Helmet, Gloves, Jacket, and boots.
post #3 of 160 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 12:58 PM

I have always been a Full Face Helmet guy, yes even on a Harley.
I'm am moving toward the ATGATT position. I've never been down (yet) but a couple friends have and I have seen first hand the differences with and/or without.

I never ride without over the ankle boots.
I never ride without gloves.
I never ride without my full face helmet.
If cooler, I always wear my JR pants and jacket with pads.
I am working on a pants/jacket combo for hot days.

I'll take any recommendations.

2008 BMW R1200RT
2008 Kawasaki Versys
2002 BMW R1150RT
2002 Suzuki VStrom DL1000 (Gone)
2002 Harley FXDWG Wide Glide (Gone)
2002 Harley 883 Sportster (Gone)

post #4 of 160 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

I'm a firm believer in weighing the risk & making the decision. By that I mean I am NOT an ATGATT guy. I've ridden in jeans & T-shirt & sneakers many times. If you feel uncomfortable riding without gear, by all means, wear the gear.

post #5 of 160 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 03:46 PM

Full face helmet, gloves, light or heavy depending on weather (Mechanix Impact Pro gloves for warm weather..$25, much better than $80 for Icon or whatever logo, Tourmaster Polartec for cold weather), Herman Survivors Commander Waterproof SWAT style boots ($40 at Wally World, and very nice!) Firstgear Kilimanjaro jacket, with my own liner depending on weather, and Alpinestars Cargo pants. The Pants I especially like, they have kept me warm in 40 degree nighttime hwy rides and cool enough in 70 degree city traffic!!! Super comfy too!!!

Last edited by Motodevil; 05-12-2008 at 03:48 PM.
post #6 of 160 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 08:45 AM

I'm an ATGATT guy, but I make adjustments in the weight and ventilation capabilities of the jacket, pants and gloves to fit the weather. Thirty-six years ago, I got pushed off the highway by a semi while riding a Kawasaki Big Horn on my way up into the Colorado mountains. I'm here today, with at least a few of my marbles left, thanks to the Bell helmet I was wearing (along with a heavy leather jacket, gloves and boots). It looked like a hard-boiled egg that had been dropped on pavement from a couple of stories up!

I agree that everybody is free to make their own choices, but along with throwing your own tolerance for risk into the choice-making process, I hope you'll also consider the impact of your choices on your family and friends. Wearing a helmet can make the difference between being an accident survivor who is still a happy, witty, warm and loving father, mother, son, daughter, brother, sister, aunt, uncle or friend . . . and a person who could have walked away, but instead lingers in a persistent vegetative state.

Cautiously,
Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Y'all come and enjoy some Shawnee Forest Squirrel Stew with us!"
post #7 of 160 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 11:43 PM

I'm a newbie, so be gentile with my decisions...

Shoei full face helmet, Frank Thomas all weather 3 in 1 jacket, firstgear all weather pants (which work great over my dress slacks to and from work!), gloves with the carbon fiber knuckles (don't get in a fist fight with me), Icon over the ankle boots with straps.

Last edited by nvoelsch; 05-13-2008 at 11:45 PM.
post #8 of 160 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 12:46 AM
rbl

Having been down once hard with all my gear on and still ending up with a couple dozen stitches in my arm, I never ride without it. Frank Thomas lined jacket (nicely vented for summer and waterproof for the other 11.5 months in BC), Joe Rocket pants (but I do wear my double knee Carharts to and from work sometimes), full riding boots, Joe Rocket winter gloves or older kevlar summer gloves and my absolute favorite Arai XD helmet.

The great thing about all this ballistic nylon and stuff is the waterproof/breathable feature. Suit up in the morning and ride all day no matter what the weather throws at you. Sure beats the old days of wet leather jacket or a restrictive and sweaty rainsuit.

28c and sunny tomorrow, going riding!
post #9 of 160 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 07:43 AM

I'm an ATGATT rider as well. It's the deal I made with myself when I decided to start riding a few years ago and I haven't once broke the promise to myself - no matter how hot it is.

Yet, I feel it's up to the rider to decide but at a minimum I think you should have the basics a helmet, jacket and gloves. It's hard for me to go to the no-helmet-law states. I just keep thinking to myself - even if nothing bad happens them bugs and stones really hurt.

My gear consist of a Scorpion Full Face helmet (EXO 1000), Tour Master Pivot Jacket in Black/Yellow, Tour Master Caliber pants, Tour Master Boots and Marsee Adventure Gloves.
post #10 of 160 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

I think I may go Aerostich next.
post #11 of 160 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 12:10 PM

Everything every time.

Let's say I am casual in putting my gear on and off, and I mean everything. It takes about 30 seconds to put on and another 30 to take off. One minute of extra time every time I ride.

We sit through umpteen commercials, red lights, etc, that eat up so much time and yet we can't allow a minute that can make a HUGE difference.

Jeans wear out in about a half second when sliding on concrete. Road rash is like a third degree burn. It is BAD. Google motorcycle accident pictures and get a taste of reality. When you're begging for your next morphine shot because of the severe pain at least be thankful you saved yourself a minute per ride.

People, including most bikers, think I'm nuts. What they think does nothing but what is, is, and that IS something.
post #12 of 160 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

If it is too hot for gear then I drive plain and simple.
post #13 of 160 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 02:35 PM

Here in Oregon you don't have a choice - must wear a helmet. Back when I was 13 (yes 13) I was heading to get gas when some old lady turned left right in front of me. Smashed the windshield real good with my Helmet! Never ride without one!!

Last edited by kawaclay; 05-30-2008 at 02:37 PM.
post #14 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
I think I may go Aerostich next.
Aerostitch is nice stuff but I hear the one-piece suit leaks a bit and I think Aerostitch admits to this on the website. They feel it's a compromise between quick access and full waterproofness. I was going to go with Aerostitch but they didn't have a one-piece suit that would fit me - too tall and too skinny is my problem. They suggested I'd go with a two piece suit. I passed and got an Olympia outfit in lime-yellow. I wore that for two years and beat the heck out of it. Worked pretty good but I decided to try out the Tour-Master gear - no lime-yellow, I went with plain yellow instead.

The TourMaster isn't absolutely waterproof either. I went through a rain storm yesterday and my crotch got wet like I was pissing myself. My Olympia had the same problem. I think they need to put seam-sealer on like they do with tents. The tour-master jacket did Ok but I had some vents open and that didn't help.
post #15 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaclay View Post
Here in Oregon you don't have a choice - must wear a helmet. Back when I was 13 (yes 13) I was heading to get gas when some old lady turned left right in front of me. Smashed the windshield real good with my Helmet! Never ride without one!!
I started riding when I was 16 y.o. on a moped. It doesn't sound like much but that thing would still do 50 mph and thats more than enough to scramble your eggs. I used to ride without a helmet and for that matter no gear at all. This bus driver used to chase me with her bus and yell at me to get a helmet on. I'm lucky I didn't have an incident like this - I wouldn't be be here today or cognizent enough to write this. Since then I've changed my mind about riding gear and now I'm ATGATT. I don't feel bullet-proof anymore and I have more to lose now.

Last edited by Ocean; 06-02-2008 at 07:44 AM.
post #16 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 12:22 AM

It is amazing - I've never wore a helmet, not even for a bicycle. Then got into motorcycling. Was concerned that it would be uncomfortable; it was for a short time but now I don't even mind it.
post #17 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 07:46 AM

Helmets are nice and not just for crashes either - keeps your head warm when it's cold, keeps it cool when it's hot (with the vents). The full face one's do a good job of keeping bugs out of your teeth and rocks out of your eyeballs.
post #18 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 03:05 AM

I always wear at a minimum...

Helmet- Arai RX7-RR4 Dani Pedrosa replica (signed by Dani himself!)
Jacket- mesh in summer and Olympia winter jacket when its colder
Boots- Dainese

My favorite jacket I have recently sold due to putting on some pounds and not being able to fit in it anymore. For years I have used a Motoport GP2 Kevlar jacket that is absolutely wonderful.

Motoport jackets and gear have for a while now been compared to Aerostich. I just cant seem to get into the whole Aerostich thing. They make nice gear but it is really pricey. The Motoport kevlar line isnt cheap either but after owning one for around 7 years I can say that they hold up incredibly well. I actually just sold it to my boss for $250. Thats right, 250 for a 7 year old jacket that I must have put around 60 to 70k miles on. The great thing about kevlar vs leather is that you can throw it in the washing machine when it gets stinky and it takes no special substances to maintain it. Just ride, wash and ride more.

Here is a good link to a gentleman who bought a whole motoport 2 piece suit.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...otoport+kevlar

He had the suit custom made to his colors. The guys who runs motoport is really nice and will help with any purchasing decisions you have. The only bad thing is that their web site has to be the CRAPPIEST SITE EVER MADE!!! God, its like something from the early days of the internet. Are you listening Wayne, fix your site!!!

LOL...thats funny...I just went to pull up the Motoport site and its not even up and running!!! Hopefully they are re-building it. Or maybe Motoport is out of business. That would suck, as I am currently saving to get a new kevlar jacket to replace my old one. Damn....

Oh well, check out the adv site comparison. You will see that its good quality stuff. Heres the way I feel about it-

Nothing beats leather, hands down. But leather can be a bitch sometimes in the heat, its incredibly bulky and you have to condition it from time to time.

Kevlar is ALMOST as good as leather and is actually stronger then leather depending on how it is torn. (I dont remember which way). And its soooooooo much more convenient and cooler in the heat. If it gets to cold, put in the liner and throw over a thin windbreaker type moto jacket. I have on old Fieldsheer 3/4 jacket I would put over my GP2 if it was to cold. Worked perfect.

Everything else is Textile. And pretty much sucks. Even the 1600 denier cordura in my Olympia feels cheap next to my kevlar.

Just my 2 cents worth. Sorry if this sounds like a promo for Motoport Kevlar but the stuff is just awesome. And worth the price.

"If Caesar was alive today I would be chained to an oar".

This life is a test
It is only a test
Had it been an actual life
You would have received
Further Instructions on
Where to go and what to do

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 07:17 AM

I just tried the Motoport web site and got a login page. Hopefully, it will be up soon so we can take a look at that gear.

I rode with Olympia gear the first year - I bought it because it came in Lime-Yellow. While learning to ride I really wanted to be visible and I'm glad I did. I think it saved my butt a few times from stupid mistakes I made.

After two years of the Olympia - the pants were totally shot. Not all the fault of Olympia. I burnt one leg from a tip-over while doing parking lot practice and a zipper got caught in a heat shield and just snapped off.

The jacket is still in good shape but I just wanted to try something else and I went with TourMaster and I chose bright yellow with black - still want the visibility thing. I think the TourMaster is better built and has better armor than the Olympia.

When I'm ready for another jacket in a few years - and if Motorport is around, maybe something I'll look into if it is as good as you say it is.
post #20 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 02:17 PM

I am street riding again after a hiatus of 30 years. Long ago I wore a full coverage helmet, regular street clothes, and only whatever else was needed due to weather. In hindsight, I think I was very foolish. Now I am wearing full coverage helmet, boots, gloves, jacket with armor, and pants that, although are not made for motorcycling, are heavy duty. I wore MSR Enduro pants when it was colder in March and April. It is a hassle changing at work, but I think it is worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode