Looks like I need to think about a new jacket - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Looks like I need to think about a new jacket

My Fieldsheer tour jacket is starting to show a fair amount of wear. It's been a great jacket other than the collar and lack of a rain hood, but I only paid $140.00 on close out for it.

I'd like another tour type 3/4 jacket to replace it. I'd like to stay under $300.00-$375.00. I've seen a couple of Tourmasters and Firstgear that look good. Any thoughts on this?

I don't have to run out ASAP to buy one as the Fieldsheer isn't that far gone BUT the signs are there that this will be the last season for it.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Been happy with my Tourmaster Transition III
1 year's use and it's holding up well
Use it from 20 deg to 80 then go to mesh for the short time I get extreme heat
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...le_jacket.html

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thumbs up for both Tourmaster and First Gear. Weljo's link leads to a killer deal IMHO. Good luck shopping.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 11:39 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I highly recommend the Olympia AST. It is made of heavy Dupont Cordura which is roughly ~7 times more abrasion resistant than similar weight/denier polyester. it also has best in class venting and flows a ton of air in hot weather.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Last edited by twowheels; 04-04-2013 at 01:56 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 08:15 AM

Garage
If you want some info, their's a lenghty discussion on that subject here

LOP
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
If you want some info, their's a lenghty discussion on that subject here

LOP

I have 4 different types of jackets from mesh to full solid leather all with armor so I have the seasons covered. All are Fieldsheer and well made but Fieldsheer didn't weather the cash storm so I need to find another make I feel safe wearing.

I have some Tourmaster, rain pants that are OK that's all but they were the bottom of the line so all the nice features are missing. However they do keep me dry and that's what I paid for.

I have a pair of Olympia winter gloves and they do a good job didn't cost a ton but weren't cheap either, don't know why I didn't think of them.

Had some Firstgear, a mesh jacket and gloves, never was happy with them. The jacket started to "Pill" in a month or so.

Looks like you guys have given me a bunch to think about and I best start the research.

Thanks

2012 650 Versys
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 09:05 AM

I'm pretty pleased with the Motoport stuff. Take a look at this one.

http://www.motoport.com/index.php?op...d=13&Itemid=15

They have great kevlar too, but it may be outside your budget.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
My Fieldsheer tour jacket is starting to show a fair amount of wear. It's been a great jacket other than the collar and lack of a rain hood, but I only paid $140.00 on close out for it.

I'd like another tour type 3/4 jacket to replace it. I'd like to stay under $300.00-$375.00. I've seen a couple of Tourmasters and Firstgear that look good. Any thoughts on this?

I don't have to run out ASAP to buy one as the Fieldsheer isn't that far gone BUT the signs are there that this will be the last season for it.
I kinda like the First Gear Kilimanjaro (got THREE!). Waterproof; zip-out liner that serves as a jacket by itself; lots of storage; and many vents. Fairly cheap on clearance.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 01:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I kinda like the First Gear Kilimanjaro (got THREE!). Waterproof; zip-out liner that serves as a jacket by itself; lots of storage; and many vents. Fairly cheap on clearance.
+1 got a great deal last year on one...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 07:35 AM

i bought the alpinestar Mont Blanc , at my local dealer it was 299$ i found it a 99$ on ebay since this model is discontinued it is water proof i love it!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 01:34 PM

Since I can unfortunately (and fortunately simultaneously) vouch for both it's crashworthiness and water/weather deterring habits, I will again recommend Aerostich to anyone who will listen!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 01:19 PM

I can highly recommend the Olympia AST2 and the Olympia MOAB. I've got both in Hi-Viz and have been very happy with them. I'm having to replace them as I've dropped 60lbs. since last summer and will be replacing them with smaller versions in the next few weeks.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 10:10 PM

Just bought the Macna Geo, highly recommended.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 10:51 PM

You guys value your life way too much! I found the River Road Sedona jacket for $75 on clearance. It is a mesh and has a liner, decent protection, but is is very comfortable up to 90 degrees (the highest I've ridden in in the month since I've had it).

$350+ better get me a built in, full-body airbag!

Last edited by kawdawg; 05-01-2013 at 10:55 PM.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 11:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdawg View Post
You guys value your life way too much! I found the River Road Sedona jacket for $75 on clearance. It is a mesh and has a liner, decent protection, but is is very comfortable up to 90 degrees (the highest I've ridden in in the month since I've had it).

You can catch great deals on jackets usally during the winter. I've got 3 jackets and the most i paid was eighter 99.00 or 109.00 can't remember which amount for a First Gear Kilimanjaro.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:
You guys value your life way too much!
If you had my body, you'd spend the cash to protect it! lol
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

After a Quad Bypass and all the bills that went with it You better believe I'm doing all I can to avoid another hospital stay! $350.00 won't even buy your lunch in ICU.

Besides, I'm just a big baby...pain HURTS me so I try to keep it far FAR away!

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode