Electric vest or liner Aerostich vs Gerbing - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Electric vest or liner Aerostich vs Gerbing

I want to be ready for riding this Spring, and I want to be warm and toasty on those cool Spring days.

I am trying to decide between buying:

1) Gerbing Jacket Liner ($199, pulls 6.4 Amps) ...or...

2) AeroStich Kanetsu Airvantage Electric Vest with zipoff sleeves (~$215 on Sale, pulls 3.3 Amps).

I will also be adding grip warmers, and driving lights - so that makes me wonder if I have to pick the lower wattage one?

I plan on riding 35 degrees F and warmer only (no ice riding).

Has anyone tried either of these on a Versys? Any opinions on other vests/liners?

Thanks!

Trialsguy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 06:08 PM

Don't worry about how much juice you'll be using, the Versys as 336watts of power, more than enough for 'its' needs and yours!

I've had Gerbing for over 15 years and they've been great-guaranteed for life. Make sure you get the full liner and gloves, don't go with a sleevless jacket, your forearms will freeze.

The other thing you have to have with heated gear is a Heattroller or thermostat. Full on is way too hot, I run mine about 60% even on the coldest days and I'm toasty.

I've got CozyWinters gloves now, after 15 years or so, they the leather wore through (electrics still worked fine) and they weren't waterproof anymore.

Gustavo has a brand he likes out of Oregon-but can never the name.

Its a big investment with jacket gloves and heattroller, but if you amortize it over 10 or so years or warm comfortable miles it becomes easy to justify.

Machog
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 06:36 PM

Warm is good. Heated gear gets the season started sooner and keeps it going longer. Definitely go for the long sleeves, not the vest. Your arms are always out in the wind. I've had a Gerbings for 5 years, works great, guaranteed forever. Aerostich liners are nice and do better as a light jacket if you like to pack light. The Heatroller is a nice item. I've got a permanent one on my ST but I think I'll get a portable one to use on the Versys. Can't offer you experience on the V yet as I'm waiting for Jack Frost to release his icy grip on New England.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 06:49 PM

I gotta tell ya, the Aerostich burnt a hole in my neck. They were gracious and gave me a full refund, but I would go for Gerbing.

NOT a big hole.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 10:51 PM

I've been telling people til I'm blue in the face, heating clothing opened up a whole new world for me. Most guys dont know what they are missing. I cant fathom a long ride without electrics anymore.

I use a Widder vest and gloves. Had very good results. But I do think the others you mentioned are better. I dont (and never will) use a controller. A simple on/off toggle on my left thigh works perfect for me. Get too hot? Shut it off for five. Simple. Have read horror stories over on ADV about many toasted controllers. I go by the "keep it simple stupid" theory.

I paid $137 for the vest and about $85 for the gloves. They just plain work no doubt,,,,,,
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 12:18 AM

Neither.

Liner for sure, the AirVantage concept is very cleaver, you want to keep the heat source as close to your body as possible for best heat transfer, and adding a layer of insulating air always helps but... You lose a lot of heat through your arms, you want the arms to be heated too, a vest can only do so much to keep you warm when it gets really cold (which is where you really need heated gear).

I used to wear a Gerbing liner (back in the olden days it was the only game in town if you didn't want a vest) but now use Warm&Safe heated gear (liner and gloves). I think it's better designed (fits closer and better), feels warmer despite having about same wattage rating (probably a result of better fit). If you ride in really cold weather (or tend to be really cold blooded) try the Gen 3 liner with wind-blocking material.

Gustavo
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 09:25 AM

You guys seen these?
http://www.activheat.com/?gclid=CPqj...FRMUagod1ya2mQ
The last rally I was at, a couple of guys were raving about them, and no cord!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 09:39 AM

Garage
Send a message via MSN to ZaethDekar
honestly for that price I would rather get the Gerbing as the heating is everywhere instead of just on your chest and upper back. plus, no matter how long you ride you would get hear, as with this its only max of 5 hours and you have to keep buying batteries.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 11:10 AM

siyeh, Widder is now tits up, there is still some product out there, but no warranty.

http://www.widder.com/html/Product/System2/index.html

Machog
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 12:12 PM

Yes Mach, I am fully aware Widder is out of business. In fact, I already posted that info in another electric vest thread. My stuff is over 6 years old so no warranty left for me anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode