Time to change? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Time to change?

So I use a Bell Revolver helmet that's modular and has the inner sunshade thing, which I love. It's a smug fit, but some longer rides, it starts to hurt right below my hair line in the front... I guess my question is two fold: is that normal or a helmet that fits properly? And how often is it recommended that a helmet be replaced? (Or is it?)

I made the switch to this one after realizing my old hjc was WAY too loose.

Thoughts?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Try taking a spoon and press that area down. I know a few guys that has worked for.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Time to change?

The padding?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zechariah View Post
The padding?

Yep, If its a dense material.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
The padding?
Or you can try pushing the spoon on your forehead bone

I remember my Shoei X-eleven was really squeezing too hard on the cheeks. I put the side pads under a big pile of books for a few days. Re-installed them and voila, pressure was down to where it should be (it should be a bit hard to chew gum without biting your cheeks while wearing your helmet).

But normally when you get a precise pressure point on the forehead it simply means that that brand isn't made for your head shape. If it's the hard foam under the shell that's applying pressure, compressing that will affect it's capacity to absorb energy in case of an impact (might not be by a lot, but not something I'd do)...

Last edited by Kawa007; 03-20-2013 at 05:27 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 07:20 PM

To answer your questions, no it's not normal for a helmet to cause you dscomfort, it means there's something about it that doesn't fit your head. If the helmet isn't broken in you may want to wear it a tad longer to see if it gets better. As others have said you could try to shape the forehead foam a little. I don't think a small bit of compression in the forehead area will effect the integrety of the helmet enough to matter.
They recommend replacing evey 5 years but I only replace if the helmet is showing wear or damage. I don't buy into the "5 year" thing because there are so many variables that come into play, I think it becomes a random number just to sell more helmets.

I too have an HJC head and I had a Bell Revolver for a time. I thought the Bell fit fine after it got broke in, then I dropped it and busted the top vent and decided to go back to HJC. The Bell had some nice features that I miss on my HJC. I've been considering going back to a Revolver but the HJCs just fit so well.
What size and color is your Bell? Is it an Evo? If you decide to go back to HJC and don't feel like keeping the Revolver for a back up (you should always have a back up) and it's the right size and color, keep me in mind
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
So I use a Bell Revolver helmet that's modular and has the inner sunshade thing, which I love. It's a smug fit, but some longer rides, it starts to hurt right below my hair line in the front... I guess my question is two fold: is that normal or a helmet that fits properly?...
I have a helmet that "bites" my forehead at the top-front. I pulled back the liner and used a "Dremel" to grind away a little foam there till it fit, RATHER than "compress" it.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 09:37 PM

It's called a "pressure point" and others have already outlined your options. My wife has this problem with most helmets. If they fit properly, they press against this one spot on her forehead. This is why it's important to try on a helmet before buying, and keep it on for more than 30 seconds to be very aware of how it fits.

The soft pads will grow less snug, but the EPS, the white stuff that does the real protecting, will not. I admit I have done MINOR amounts of compressing of the EPS, but that's one of those things that the ranks and ranks of lawyers in this country will never allow any helmet maker to condone. So proceed at your own risk and don't sue me.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
So I use a Bell Revolver helmet that's modular and has the inner sunshade thing, which I love. It's a smug fit, but some longer rides, it starts to hurt right below my hair line in the front... I guess my question is two fold: is that normal or a helmet that fits properly? And how often is it recommended that a helmet be replaced? (Or is it?)

I made the switch to this one after realizing my old hjc was WAY too loose.

Thoughts?

Oval head in round helmet gets you that pressure point at forehead after an hour or so every time.

Only real solution i've found is getting the right shaped helmet.

Arai isn't the only solution though. There are more inexpensive, yet quality oval shaped helms at lower price point.

This link's a pretty decent guide. -Scott

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...met-shapes.htm

Black 2012 Versys-Sold!
Blue WR250R
Green Bolens
Black GSX-S750
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
TI don't think a small bit of compression in the forehead area will effect the integrety of the helmet enough to matter.
If you land there in a crash it will affect the energy absorption. I can't say if it will matter of course. I've modified the EPS in a hot spot. Spoon, rock, whatever works. I much prefer to have helmets I don't have to do that with.

As a first step try it without the liner and see if the EPS really needs to be modified. If it's hurting your forehead that's likely, but I guess it's possible a thinner or modified liner will fix it.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 12:25 AM

Time to change?

Had the same story an ended up buying an arai signet Q....perfect with no forehead pressure...it is the longest oval shape available in the market...give it a try

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
...how often is it recommended that a helmet be replaced? (Or is it?)

Most experts in the field recommend replacing your helmet every 5 years.

Two reasons:

1) The materials in your helmet degrade over time, and may not provide the expected crash protection performance.

2) Helmet technology contunues to improve. A 5 year newer model will provide a significant improvement in protection and performance.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Time to change?

Awesome. Thanks for the responses! Since most my rides are less than an hour, the discomfort isn't usually an issue, but if I get stick in traffic, it is quite literally a headache! I have always been an online shopper, but perhaps I need to shop locally for helmets for the proper fit.

On another note... Y'all seen the new Bell Rogue?
http://www.bellhelmets.com/powerspor...s/street/rogue

Purty BA looking... Though obviously not as safe as full face.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 09:06 PM

I don't know. To me, muzzles are for dogs. Bad dogs. But that's just me.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 03:32 PM

5 years for a helmet? I replace every 2. The padding gets compressed, visor scratched etc. in this time frame. Normally I push 25,000 km's a year on the bike, maybe I use it more than most.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Awesome. Thanks for the responses! Since most my rides are less than an hour, the discomfort isn't usually an issue, but if I get stick in traffic, it is quite literally a headache! I have always been an online shopper, but perhaps I need to shop locally for helmets for the proper fit.

On another note... Y'all seen the new Bell Rogue?
http://www.bellhelmets.com/powerspor...s/street/rogue

Purty BA looking... Though obviously not as safe as full face.

Check out brands where you can easily swap different size cheekpads,adjust top liner. Arai , Suomy, Bell to name a few. Or Scorpion where you can inflate-deflate the pads. Ask for pro help if you have to, and never look back again. It's worth spending money on a great helmet.
Bell Rogue ? ..Doesn't do it for me, several other brands have done better styling , more protection, of the same concept years ago.Nothing against Bell tho, their Euro line is awesome, always has been. I do own a Bell Star and the RS1 line is top notch too and affordable. But again you need to know your proper size , shape n find the one that fits you the best.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
... The padding gets compressed, visor scratched etc....
Since I began cleaning and polishing my visors with "Lemon Pledge" (the cheaper generic stuff) they last... and last... and last..., clear as new, too!

Also works fine on the paint, instruments and windshield.

- -

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode