Really good prices? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Really good prices?

My brother and law told me about this site and I'm not sure if it falls under the "too good to be true" catagory. Anybody have any luck or heard of this?

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Moto...ots/53813.html

"When It Rains, Get Wet"

Last edited by antman325; 01-01-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 01:19 PM

No, but there's no such thing as "action" leather. The best leather is full grain and I would be suspicious of any manufacturer who invents their own category of leather. I wouldn't buy them. They look like snowboarding boots.

Last edited by charly; 01-01-2009 at 01:25 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 01:37 PM

Looks like a great deal to me

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 03:35 PM

That's a steal if they are any good.

Strongly suggest you get a pair and let the rest of us know what they are like

Machog
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

I don't want to be the guinnea pig plus I really don't need boots right now. But if these are any good I would get a pair just to have. And what about the prices for the gloves and jackets?

"When It Rains, Get Wet"

Last edited by antman325; 01-01-2009 at 10:04 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 10:45 PM

Ant, the prices look tempting, but you really have to take a close look in person to be able to evaluate whether this is the "real deal" in protective gear. You need to look at materials (I doubt it's real Cordura, you can't even buy the raw materials for what they are selling the jacket for... ), workmanship (how good is the stitching, will it survive a crash?) and quality of the armor (is it really CE approved? Who makes it?) and compare them to good (but budget oriented) gear sold by other companies to see if it's really a good deal.

Gustavo
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

I have this jacket:

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Moto...ets/41436.html

I bought it a couple of years ago. Its held up well, though I've grown a little around the waist so its a bit snug. Also, I only wear it in cooler weather. I say good product for the money. Is it on par with the big names? Probably not, but not bargain basement quality either.

I don't know about the boots, but I'm satisfied with the jacket. My one complaint is, the pockets are too far back making it a pain to put your hands in them, but that's not so much a quality thing, as it is a design flaw.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 05:44 AM

antman325 I have purchased a couple of things from them and they are generally good quality Chinese made products. They aren't as good as the name brand products that you would buy for heavy duty use. I suspect Action leather is some marketing jargon for nothing. I bought some boots from them that I have never worn (a style thing) and they appear to be fairly well made. But again, the fit and finish isn't what you would expect if you paid $300 for them, but easily worth what you pay.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 07:54 AM

I bought engineer steel tip boots from them. Fine quality at reasonable price.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 09:50 AM

Hey Bear... Just so you don't think your pockets are specific to your brand, I ride with a Olympia Voyager and same stupid design, can't even sort of get my hands in the pockets without taking it off... Very clever...Been meaning to call Olympia and ask them WHY?

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 12:24 PM

Generally I find that off-brand product coming out of China is of lower quality and you do get what you pay for. It's difficult these days to find anything that's not made outside of the country but quality control is usually better with the name brands regardless of where it's manufactured.

Here is my political statement for the day (which might sound strange coming from a guy who owns a Japanese car and a Japanese motorcycle): We are in tough economic times and I will support Canadian or American manufactured products whenever I can. I prefer that my money stays on this continent. I also refuse to use self-serve checkouts. If nobody used self-serve checkouts it would create a lot of jobs.

Sorry, I'm off topic...
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by contractor View Post
Hey Bear... Just so you don't think your pockets are specific to your brand, I ride with a Olympia Voyager and same stupid design, can't even sort of get my hands in the pockets without taking it off... Very clever...Been meaning to call Olympia and ask them WHY?
Hmm. Good to know. It does seem odd they would put pockets on a jacket that has somewhat limited mobility to begin with (at least my Xelement is stiff, anyway), in such an awkward place. My other jacket is a mesh, by Nitro. Its a great jacket & I like it a lot. Way more flexible & the pockets are positioned better. Not as good as a non-biker jacket, but better than the Xelement.

My Nitro jacket:

http://www.armoredrider.com/mod/prod...source=Froogle

Quote:
Originally Posted by charly View Post
Generally I find that off-brand product coming out of China is of lower quality and you do get what you pay for. It's difficult these days to find anything that's not made outside of the country but quality control is usually better with the name brands regardless of where it's manufactured.

Here is my political statement for the day (which might sound strange coming from a guy who owns a Japanese car and a Japanese motorcycle): We are in tough economic times and I will support Canadian or American manufactured products whenever I can. I prefer that my money stays on this continent. I also refuse to use self-serve checkouts. If nobody used self-serve checkouts it would create a lot of jobs.

Sorry, I'm off topic...
Well, before you start judging me a traitor for buying cheap & outside the country, , it is very hard to find 'made in the USA' products today. Its also hard to justify the cost of a lot of those products.

I am familiar with both sides of the issue & would love to support my fellow Americans every single time, however, I feel the idea of 'made in the USA' is often used to over price products, when many many times the quality just isn't as good, or at least worth the price. There was a time when the wife & I used to scour the stores searching for the 'Made in the USA' label. It became such a chore & frankly, disappointing at times, we've just let it go.

As far as the two jackets I own, they are both very good. I am very happy with the quality, especially for the price. I paid about $90 for each one. One I bought on the web, the other from a local dealer.

As far as self checkouts, God I love those things!! I know, you think they're putting people out of work, & maybe they are. But what I see, usually people like me, with only a few items not having to stand in the express check out line behind the dumb lady with two carts completely full, having an item with no price tag, wanting to write a check, but not having a damned pen, & her address on the check doesn't match the address on her freakin' driver's license...

I can scan my three or four items as easily as anyone & can be in & out in a few minutes. The less I have to be in that freakin' headache causing, poor customer service giving store, the better. I see them as a God send...

Another thing, many times the stores will close all but a couple of registers, causing longer lines, congestion & frustration. The self checkouts alleviate a lot of those problems. They allow me, the impatient, unsociable guy, to purchase my items at my pace & get the hell out of there with minimum hassle.

My wife used to work as a cashier for Walmart. I am not trying to sound uncaring about putting people out of work, it's just sometimes, there are better ways to do things. I see the self checkouts as one of those things...

Happy New Year.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 03:47 PM

Ooops!

Hey Bear, sorry I wasn't trying to push any buttons. No judgment here, just an opinion.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

No buttons pushed, just offering a different perspective...

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

And quite honestly Charly, the people that are no longer working on the checkout lines were replaced by people who are working to build and service those machines, deliver the machines, make parts for the machines and so on. And hopefully in te U.S.A. Just my $0.02

"When It Rains, Get Wet"

Last edited by antman325; 01-04-2009 at 11:33 PM.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post
....and quality of the armor (is it really CE approved? ...Gustavo
there is no such thing as CE approved, its an oxymoron. there is no CE approvals process, no authoratative body that verifies somehtign mmeets a specific standard.

CE markring is a statement by the manufacturer that the equipment meets the appropriate standard or EU norms, no more no less. Teh CE mark is meant to indicate that the item is compliant with the relevant standards, it doens't mean that it has been proven to meet the standards by an outside body.

the manufacturer or importer, or person making the claim, should have the documenation and testing to prove that is so, but there is nothign stopping anyone from selling a device with the CE mark. so if you believe they are a reputable company they shoudl be able to provide whatever information you need to demonstrate it meets the CE marking process. If they are not a reputable company they won't

another thing to bear in mind is that there is a similar CE marking which indicates the device is 'China Export', its believed its a sort of scam although the two marks are different, oit can be difficult to spot. essentially there is a bigger space between the C & E on the kosher CE marking.

so yer pays yer money, yer takes yer choice.

a professional and competent company will have tested their equipment meets or exceeds the relevant EU Norms or standards, that testing may be done in house or by an outside body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode