Need some boots - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Need some boots

Hi, everyone. I need to buy some boots. I've seen that some folks get Walmart boots and some people have boots that look like they came off the batsuit. What is it about the Batsuit boots that make them better than any over the ankle leather boot?

Thanks,
Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 07:23 PM

You can walk away from a crash.
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 09:26 PM

The Batsuit boots have armor in the toes, heels, and ankles, have sliders on the toes, and have zippers instead of laces so there's nothing to snag.

Most "normal looking" motorcycle boots have something at least to capture or cover up the laces.

I'm calm like a bomb!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 10:04 PM

Check out the THOR 50/50 boots. Sturdy as hell. Will offer real protection in a get off, or crush protection in a low side. Comfortable right out of the box. Thor makes dirt bike boots. These cover the ankles, no laces to get caught on anything (two buckles ) Easy on easy off. Plus they look like a bikers' boot but not something Darth Vader would wear. They come in black, tan and I think white (no thanks). $100 bucks. Good deal. Good protection.
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 07:02 AM

I am for Darth Vader boots all the way. Coming from the sport bike world it is what I am used to. However, I would not wear anything else. My Sidis have adjustable vents, toe sliders, shock absorbing heel cups, replaceable armor at the ankle and shin, and reinforced toe for shifting. Sometimes I ride to the gym from the office in regular shoes and it feels like I am trying to shift with a wet noodle. Good riding boots are worth the money. They don't have to be the pure sport boots, but I think a motorcycle specific shoe is well worth it. Especially over Wal-Mart junk. I forgot my steel toes at a work site so ran to Wal-Mart to get something that would do. After 3 days they were falling apart and were horribly uncomfortable. I returned them. I am a bit of a shoe snob I guess.
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 09:02 PM

I bought a pair of Icon Field Armor Chukka boots on sale for $69.95. I've rode in every kind of shoe imagineable prior to these. They fit and feel so good, the safety features just ice the cake.

Last edited by grandpubah; 12-29-2008 at 09:04 PM.
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 09:41 PM

Purpose designed riding boots are great tools for motorcycling. I ride in Oxtar Matrix Gortex boots which offer protection, tactile feel of the foot controls, and dry feet in all the frog stranglers I've ridden in the past three years. (Oxtar is now TCX...same company, different name.)

For good deals on boots, try www.newenough.com. Check the closeouts link first, and if nothing excites you just search boots. One of the best online motorcycling retailers out there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 11:24 AM

I just got a pair of the Oxtar-TCX boots after a 6 months search-yea ridiculous I know, trying for perfection. Paid $169.00 found them on eBay, but brand new.
http://search.stores.ebay.com/bcmmot...492840QQsofpZ0
Machog

Last edited by Machog; 12-30-2008 at 11:28 AM.
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 12:11 PM

Not everybody will agree with this but I wear a sturdy pair of hiking boots. With my KLR there was enough space between the peg and the shifter for them and I think the Versys will be okay. If not, I'm going to lower the pegs anyway.

I just make sure the laces are tight and out of the way. Maybe I'll get a pair of short gators just to make sure.
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 12:31 PM

I ride with a pair of leather chuck taylor converse they're safe... right ???

No I wear Alpinestar boot (fleece and Gor-tex lined) and they have been doubling as snow boot for the 4 days of white stuff we had here

Working to make it my Streetfighter
V
post #11 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 04:27 PM

according to the only statistics I could dig up, you're most likely to injure your lower left leg in a crash...
post #12 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

That's odd. Wonder why?

post #13 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 08:40 PM

If it's a US statistic, I'd say it's because opposing traffic's on the left and, thus, crossover accidents are gonna hit you there. Even in "turning left in front of a motorcyclist" accidents, motorcyclists're more likely to head to the right as an escape route ('cause with the left you know there's traffic), thereby putting the left leg between the bike and the car. Also, left handers are faster corners (by virtue of how our roads are setup) and, thus, low sides are going to happen at greater speeds when you're leaned to the left, getting your leg caught between the bike and the ground, resulting in injury.

If it's a worldwide statistic, I dunno.
post #14 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Hmmm. Maybe ours should come with a bigger/stronger left boot??

post #15 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 08:57 PM

Nah. You wear motorcycle boots, you're in good shape. I'd bet the majority of people don't.

That being said, even when wearing moto boots, I got a nice burn on the back of my left calf from where the bike lay on me in a ditch while I was unconscious after a highside... did my part to fatten the bell curve.
post #16 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think any boot will protect your leg from a car slamming into you.

post #17 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 06:40 PM

True, but I'd bet that those're in the minority of causes of that type of injury.
post #18 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 11:46 AM

Gaerne Panoramas are my boot of choice for the Pacific Northwest. But, They are on the warm side for summer use. Whatever boot you end up with the fit and comfort is very important and these boots fit great all day and night long (14 hours longest ride per day to date). Not too flashy just a good tough boot.
post #19 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 07:11 AM

Has anyone tried these boots?
http://shop.advancedmotorcyclegear.c...7&productId=10
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1215656370758-1742115740.jpg (17.7 KB, 301 views)

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #20 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 08:21 AM

I have done both. I have the Darth Vaders and I have high hiking boots. I have always found the boot thing difficult. When you tour and you are on and off the bike, I want a hiking boot for comfort for walking around all the camping, museums and towns, hiking, etc. But screaming thru the twisties I want a boot to hold that ankle straight in case I come flying off. You gotta weigh it all out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode