ADV Boots for "occasional standing" - Forma? Something else? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By jaaklucas
  • 1 Post By FriendlyVikingDude
  • 2 Post By Fly-Sig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
ADV Boots for "occasional standing" - Forma? Something else?

Hi all.

I ride my Versys mostly on paved roads, but I'm trying to improve my offroading skills (simple gravel roads for now, but trying to "upgrade" to something more challenging).

I try to stand as much as possible, if nothing else, then for the practice in the feel and balance. But I need some boots that are more suited to off-road riding, however "un-offroady" my gravel adventures will probably seem to hardened veterans

I'd also like the added benefit of having a waterproof "touring" boot, so .. something comfy, waterproof, and OK for standing on the pegs now and again.

After countless reviews (and some therapy after listening to some Revzilla vids as well I *think* I've narrowed it down to :

Forma Adventure. They're cheap, and they even come in a low version that is on sale at a local dealer. I read that they're perhaps a little too comfy, and not as safe as the competition (but undoubtedly safer than my cafe-like Stylmartin boots Anyone tried both the normal and low versions that can chip in?

Sidi Adventure 2. Seems like the "perfect" choice. But perhaps too "clunky" I'm not going around the world, I'm basically just messing around, so I might not need soviet-tank-like levels of rigidity and armor. Also a good 40% more expensive than the Forma's - but that's not an issue as such. Don't want to pay for stuff I don't need, but don't mind paying for the right stuff (I wear an Arai XD4.. expensive, but what an absolutely superb lid

Alpinestars Corozal. Come in, pricewise, somewhere between the two others, so perhaps the right compromise?

I'd love to hear your thoughts - not particularly on these models, but just generally any advice from those of you who occasionally get your gear muddy. "Get the low ones, you won't miss the height unless you traverse rivers" or "get the Sidi's, they're the right choice for when you finally you progress to harder terrain" or "Formas are brilliant boots, but not really for standing" - ANY boot-advice is highly appreciated.

Thank you very much

..be one of the good guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
AlpineStars Toucan. Excellent protection - actually tested to CE standards. Reinforced sole for standing on the pegs for extended periods. Replaceable soles, if they wear out your local cobbler can replace the soles. Gore-Tex lifetime guarantee to keep you dry - if they leak, you get a new pair (Iíve used it).

They wear like light weight ski boots. And squeak when you walk. Certainly not fashionable - not to the pirate bikers anyways! The ADV riding crowd will appreciate them.

Iíve been wearing the Toucans for 6 years after wasting money on lesser boots. A large chunk of pavement hitting the top of my foot at speed made me spend the big $. And I havenít regretted the decision. I went down off road and didnít realize my foot was pinned by the engine until I tried to get out from under the bike. No pain. No discomfort. No pressure. No heat. I had to lift the bike a bit to get my foot out. Awkward to do, but no drama. I ride 3.5 seasons and all weather. Thunder storms, early winter blizzards, hammering down highways, wading across creeks... The Toucans have done it all rather well.

Foot injuries are the most common motorcycle injury. Spend wisely.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyVikingDude View Post
Hi all.

I ride my Versys mostly on paved roads, but I'm trying to improve my offroading skills (simple gravel roads for now, but trying to "upgrade" to something more challenging).

I try to stand as much as possible, if nothing else, then for the practice in the feel and balance. But I need some boots that are more suited to off-road riding, however "un-offroady" my gravel adventures will probably seem to hardened veterans

I'd also like the added benefit of having a waterproof "touring" boot, so .. something comfy, waterproof, and OK for standing on the pegs now and again.

After countless reviews (and some therapy after listening to some Revzilla vids as well I *think* I've narrowed it down to :

Forma Adventure. They're cheap, and they even come in a low version that is on sale at a local dealer. I read that they're perhaps a little too comfy, and not as safe as the competition (but undoubtedly safer than my cafe-like Stylmartin boots Anyone tried both the normal and low versions that can chip in?

Sidi Adventure 2. Seems like the "perfect" choice. But perhaps too "clunky" I'm not going around the world, I'm basically just messing around, so I might not need soviet-tank-like levels of rigidity and armor. Also a good 40% more expensive than the Forma's - but that's not an issue as such. Don't want to pay for stuff I don't need, but don't mind paying for the right stuff (I wear an Arai XD4.. expensive, but what an absolutely superb lid

Alpinestars Corozal. Come in, pricewise, somewhere between the two others, so perhaps the right compromise?

I'd love to hear your thoughts - not particularly on these models, but just generally any advice from those of you who occasionally get your gear muddy. "Get the low ones, you won't miss the height unless you traverse rivers" or "get the Sidi's, they're the right choice for when you finally you progress to harder terrain" or "Formas are brilliant boots, but not really for standing" - ANY boot-advice is highly appreciated.

Thank you very much
I am a huge fan of Goretex. It makes the boot warmer in cold weather by preventing the ingress of cold air and water but does not build up heat in hot weather like water proof barriers do. Wet feet or hands are only bothersome in cooler weather, but not when it is 80F. If you only ride in a warmer climate don't get waterproofed boots, you'll appreciate the added breath-ability more.

Shorter boots are nice in hot weather but a liability in cooler weather and offer less protection.

All decent boots will have a steel or plastic shank stiffed sole to make standing on the pegs a non issue.

Make sure they have LOTs of forward flexibility at the ankle as you will need it on most bikes like the Versys to be comfortable.

It's a style thing that makes people feel awkward walking around in motorcycle boots. Motorcycle boots, even racing boots, are no less comfortable to stand in than regular footwear. That said my New Balance running shoes breath better than may Dainese boots do.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-14-2020 at 05:52 PM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VGTIDave View Post
Foot injuries are the most common motorcycle injury. Spend wisely.
Im not surprised. I put a foot down on an unexpected low side slide going around a corner when I caught some gravel. Its a natural instinct. Tore the front of my boot sole on my pilot boot open like Freddie the Freeloader. Foot was okay but my heart was pumping!
16VGTIDave likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I love my TCX Infinity Gore-Tex boots. Great for standing up.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 12:17 AM

i got a pair of gaerne explorers, the boots are comfortable but i find it hard to get under the shifter, going to have to adjust something

Living Large
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for all your feedback so far!

Can't seem to find TCX Infinity here (in Denmark, or at the major online retailers in Germany) - perhaps it's discontinued? They have plenty of other TCX boots available.

I've seen the Astars Toucan in reviews too, but it seems their slightly cheaper Corozol is pretty great too - but yeah, why save the extra few bucks if it means less safety.

I like the rather maintenance free Sidi's that have hardly any leather. I don't mind polishing and caring for my shoes and boots, but ADV motorcycle boots with buckles and all sorts of other stuff seem a lot harder to clean. Lots of edges and corners and such.

I'll see if I can find somewhere that has some of these in stock, so I can try them on - might be a bit of a drive, but surely worth it to try out boots before any purchase.

Great to read your advice, very much appreciated!

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 04:01 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Had three pair of quality riding boots and the last one gave way in a tour and bought a used HD boots which is what I am using now. Most of the high end brands can,t take the tropical weather, still looking out for a quality riding shoes.

The problem of buying from Overseas is the Tax at 26%.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thankfully, I'm not going to the tropical regions - just mostly northern Europe and Scandinavia, so I'll have to contend with a lot more cold, damp rain than lots of heat. And if it does get hot here, it's usually very dry. I'm not a big fan of used footwear (though I pretty much buy anything recycled - even my bike for ergonomical reasons, and when you say HD boots, I assume you mean cruiser-type boots - not sure they'd be my preferred option for offroading - but that's just me being way too careful. All the gear, all the time, and all that
Fastoman likes this.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyVikingDude View Post
Thankfully, I'm not going to the tropical regions - just mostly northern Europe and Scandinavia, so I'll have to contend with a lot more cold, damp rain than lots of heat. And if it does get hot here, it's usually very dry. I'm not a big fan of used footwear (though I pretty much buy anything recycled - even my bike for ergonomical reasons, and when you say HD boots, I assume you mean cruiser-type boots - not sure they'd be my preferred option for offroading - but that's just me being way too careful. All the gear, all the time, and all that
Not a fan of used things either but at that point of time that was the only option. Its a usual Harley type of boots and water proof. Not much of riding these days so just looking out for a decent all weather boots as I might go on a very long tour if things work out.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have the Forma Adventure boots. They're good for what you describe as your mission. I would not get the low version. Shin protection is important!

The boot is not stiff in the ankle, but stiff enough. I think you have accurately diagnosed it as a light/moderate adventure boot, not a world touring boot or a Dakar Rally boot.

The one downside is it is a thick boot around the upper part, which can make it a bit more difficult to pull pants down over it. It is like a ski boot from that perspective, that you generally won't tuck your pants inside it, but it isn't easy to pull jeans over it either. My Draggin' Jeans are riding jeans which do pull over them. Regular jeans may not. Tight-ish overpants may not pull down over them either. I have to unzip the lower portion of my waterproof riding pants to pull them over the boot, then I can zip them.

Maybe that makes them sound worse than they are. They aren't any thicker than other off-road boots probably, but they aren't street boots. Also, I don't walk very far in them. They aren't good hiking boots when you get to the trail at a scenic stop.

The other downside is the toe area is large and the sole thick, which makes up-shifting a bit awkward. I have to raise the shift lever to make it easier to get the toe under the lever to shift up. Really what the bike needs is a longer shift lever, but raising it does help when wearing thick adventure boots.

My other boots are the Sidi Aria Goretex touring boot. In contrast, these boots are slimmer around the foot and leg, but the sole is stiff. Jeans fit over the outside easily. They aren't walking boots, but they are much better for commuting to work or just going for a local ride on the twisties. They are adequate for light adventure, like a decent dirt road.
Gigitt and FriendlyVikingDude like this.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
I took HD as meaning Heavy Duty, NOT Harley....

Get good boots, as they will more-than-likely protect more than you realize, even by REDUCING the severity of injuries.

I'm also NOT a fan of the "shorty" boots - I like shin protection!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
You're all amazing, thank you for your feedback.

Spoke to my mate who I often ride with and have done some courses with, and he said he absolutely loved his Sidi racing boots, and has had them for 8 years. So I think that I'll go with the Sidi Adventure 2's. I'll be happy to give you an update on them, once they arrive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode