Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By jspringator
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Another air vest query.....

Hey All-

APologies in advance if I have missed something but I did do a forum search on air vest/inflatable clothing.....and the most recent thread I found was still about 3-4 years old:

[kawasakiversys.com/forums/12-riders-gear/116281-anybody-looked-airbag-inflatable-vest-jacket.html]

I haven't been on here for a little while - sorry to say I did an asphalt ballet a few months back on my Versys 650 and did my shoulder in pretty good. I was only doing 40mph and no other vehicles involved - still not sure what happened, the steering just kicked all the way to the right for whatever reason.

But I digress - once my frozen shoulder unfreezes, I'm getting back on the bike (which came through without a scratch, btw) and I've just discovered these air vests. Looks like it could definitely be a worthwhile investment for me but wanted to see if there were any more recent discussions/products I should be looking into. I'm in UK and commute to London about 90min each way a few times a week - almost all motorways - so the next shoulder roll I do may very well be at 70 mph.

Would love to hear thoughts/recommendation....

Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Zyne View Post
Hey All-

APologies in advance if I have missed something but I did do a forum search on air vest/inflatable clothing.....and the most recent thread I found was still about 3-4 years old:

[kawasakiversys.com/forums/12-riders-gear/116281-anybody-looked-airbag-inflatable-vest-jacket.html]

I haven't been on here for a little while - sorry to say I did an asphalt ballet a few months back on my Versys 650 and did my shoulder in pretty good. I was only doing 40mph and no other vehicles involved - still not sure what happened, the steering just kicked all the way to the right for whatever reason.

But I digress - once my frozen shoulder unfreezes, I'm getting back on the bike (which came through without a scratch, btw) and I've just discovered these air vests. Looks like it could definitely be a worthwhile investment for me but wanted to see if there were any more recent discussions/products I should be looking into. I'm in UK and commute to London about 90min each way a few times a week - almost all motorways - so the next shoulder roll I do may very well be at 70 mph.

Would love to hear thoughts/recommendation....

Thx
Personally, I don't believe the tech is quite there yet to make airbag vests practical for street use. I understand this is a controversial belief, but it is mine nonetheless.

My suggestion would be to use the same money to up your gear game. Jacket with level 2 D3O armor in the back, shoulders and elbows, light weight premium FULL-FACE helmet, premium street gloves and pants you'll actually wear.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 06:28 PM

I started out with a Hit Air around 2011 or so. Switched to a Helite around 2014. Both of these are tether activated systems. Neither of these have actual shoulder protection.

The best of the bunch so far is the Alpinestars Tech-Air Street, and it has actual airbag over the shoulder. It is electronically activated and activates MUCH faster than any tether activated airbag. This is probably your best bet. You have to buy the jacket and airbag separately, The airbag is fitted into the jacket. They must be worn together. I will probably buy one of these when the new generation comes out.

https://www.alpinestars.com/tech-air...-airbag-system

I ended up buying a Goldwing with an airbag as my primary bike, and ALWAYS wear my Helite.

Personally, if my bike did that to me, it would no longer be my bike. Things like that don't happen for no reason. You just don't know the reason. Sounds like trade in time to me.

2017 Versys X300 Russell Sport, Cali Sci windshield, Moto Werk 1" lowering kit

2008 Honda Goldwing Airbag, Madstad windshield, Helibars.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 06:41 PM

Looks like the new generation is out; and it can fit under any jacket. I'll be buying one when it comes out in March.

https://www.alpinestars.com/tech-air...d983avv6eqd5d0
52Degrees and Mattias like this.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
...My suggestion would be to use the same money to up your gear game. Jacket with level 2 D3O armor in the back, shoulders and elbows, light weight premium FULL-FACE helmet, premium street gloves and pants you'll actually wear....
Pants w/ ARMOR, as well as boots w/ ankle protection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspringator View Post
...Personally, if my bike did that to me, it would no longer be my bike. Things like that don't happen for no reason. You just don't know the reason. Sounds like trade in time to me.
W/ about 155,000 miles on my three V650s, none of which have done anything similar, I would suggest that your front wheel may have hit a rock, a road groove, or something similar and was just a one-off event.

OTOH - I 'high-sided' at about 60 mph while ice-racing, and got to watch an 'ice-fog' following me down the 'back-straight' w/ an orange TT500 jumping up thru the 'ice-fog' now-and-then, but NOT getting any closer.

I reacted by heading to AZ for winters.... (SOME years later!)

quexpress likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Pants w/ ARMOR, as well as boots w/ ankle protection!

W/ about 155,000 miles on my three V650s, none of which have done anything similar, I would suggest that your front wheel may have hit a rock, a road groove, or something similar and was just a one-off event.
:cough: low tire pressure :cough cough:

Armored pants of course is best, but reality may dictate something else for daily use. I'm currently wearing 5.11 Stryke Motor pants because they have decent Kevlar coverage and look like regular pants that I would normally wear, but unfortunately have no pockets for armor. However, they are currently on clearance for $50, so I have 7 pairs in 3 colors. For that kind of money, I can buy armored shorts and kneepads, I reckon.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

I’m certainly inclined to think it was a one-off and not anything seriously wrong with the bike. It had rained earlier in the day and it’s a very heavily traveled motorway so it’s possible I hit a fuel or oil patch. And if I’m completely honest I had JUST lifted my left hand off the bars to adjust my visor so I guess it’s partially my fault. But I do need to up the protection if I’m to continue commuting. I’ll look at some of the suggestions here, do some research, and make a decision in the next few months. FWIW I currently have Nolan full face helmet with Alpinestar boots jacket and trousers with Grade 2 armour but nothing on the shoulders -or at least not enough- so I’ll likely be replacing the jacket anyway. No doubt I’ll be back with more questions- thanks everyone for the input .
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 04:54 AM

I'm riding in a Helite vest, despite the reservations I had in that old thread. Some ex-biker was selling his for cheap, got it for 1/5th of the retail price.

I wouldn't have bought Helite for full price, after having it for a year, because it's a bit of a pain in the ass to put it on every time and its weight and bulk is noticeable on top of your jacket. It's definitely not "invisible".
I wasn't as bothered as I thought I'd be by airflow/heat. I'm not getting cooked while riding in summer, it's actually fine.

If I were to spend 700 bucks, I'd try out either Alpinestars Tech-Air 5 or Dainese Smart Jacket. Both cost about the same (and about as much as Helite), both are electronically triggered, both can be worn under your jacket. The downside is that you need to send them back for refitting once they blow, while with Helite you can replace the CO2 canister yourself and it's cheap.

2015 Versys 650
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 08:20 AM

Last summer I took my Helite off for 30 minutes or so to see if it was cooler. Nope. Exactly the same.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
This demo was at the 2018 World Superbike race Laguna Seca.

I always thought the inflated size would be bigger than this. But I'm sure it would be much better than not having one in a crash.

Moto GP has required them since 2018.

Turn up the volume as it does make some noise. It also got quite a chuckle from the crowd.

Here is another version...Jolly good show, pip pip.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.

Last edited by hawkerjet; 01-19-2020 at 10:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in