• 1 Post By Covinth
  • 1 Post By twowheels
  • 1 Post By bikesbike

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Hearing protection

Currently I wear a pair of "snore blockers" while riding. These earplugs are great, probably some of the best I've ever used. They will block the lady's snoring and the construction noise at the office out completely. They also do extremely well at blocking out gun shots to the extent that shooting a 75 round rifle match causes me no discomfort. However, after riding my Versys I sometimes have a persistent ringing in my ears.

Since I do not want to lose my hearing I am looking for a recommendation on a better option for controlling the wind noise. I have the Givi tall screen on the bike, but at 6'2" I still take a fair amount of wind. I have considered getting a different helmet, but that is expensive. I've also considered getting the Givi windscreen extender but I do not like the look of it at all.

Any input is appreciated.

Ride safe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have something similar to these. The key word is "active" noise cancelling. A bit fiddly when putting on helmet but I manage by spreading the helmet a bit farther. I think mine have 30 DB for noise cancelling, that could be a bit of a difference.Mine also came with a 60 hour battery and switchable base boost(at the expense of losing the "active". Mine also came with three different size inserts. I looked around but could not find them.

Sony, Bose, Etinomics(sp?) and others also make them.

https://smile.amazon.com/TaoTronics-...s%2C179&sr=8-3

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have been using Moldex Pure-Fit earplugs. Best foam earplugs I have found.

They look just like the snore blockers...humm?

Thinking they both come out of the same warehouse somewhere in good o'l Chiner.

https://www.amazon.com/Pairs-Moldex-...Q6PZY18VG6P37W

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
ear plugs, foam

I use these Stanley ear plugs, and have for years (tho' I buy them in containers of around 100, usually at Home Depot).

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-H...SABEgLJv_D_BwE

I wear two hearing aids when NOT riding, and I find that these plugs (32 Db rating) allow me to be aware of my surroundings, and not give me tinnitis - ringing in the ears - when I remove them OFF the bike.

When I go shooting at the range, I usually wear the plugs UNDER my over-ear hearing protection.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 01:54 PM

Garage
I've been using these for a few years. With the high protection filters fitted.

https://www.alpinehearingprotection..../motosafe-pro/
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 02:00 PM

Been using these for years. They work well even when riding my harley with straight pipes, and wearing half helmet. https://www.durawear.com/max-1-earpl...05a3c066d3cde8
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
I have been using Moldex Pure-Fit earplugs. Best foam earplugs I have found.

They look just like the snore blockers...humm?

Thinking they both come out of the same warehouse somewhere in good o'l Chiner.

https://www.amazon.com/Pairs-Moldex-...Q6PZY18VG6P37W
You're right on point about the origin of most things these days. The snore blockers have a different shape to them where they taper in then flare out at the end; I think the shape has been the key to how well they work in other circumstances.
funflyingguy likes this.

Ride safe!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for all of the input; I am going to look through them after dinner tonight and order something new.

Ride safe!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I use cheap foam earplugs (1 pair cost 0.22$ ) I think it is NRR 32db.
Plus I have wind deflector from aliexpress for ~20$.
Those two things improved my travel experience by 100%, no buffeting, and no loud noises.

Gas for heating, diesel for plowing, electricity for cooking, petrol for driving

Last edited by kardan; 12-22-2019 at 06:49 PM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 08:10 PM

Garage
I use the silicone style from Earpeace. Simple but effective. Foam type are excruciating after a couple hours for me. Similar noise block but all day comfortable. Worth the $25 or so to me compared to the price of custom molds.

Fwiw, my 09 V650 is what triggered my ringing after nearly 30 years on street bikes. 😞

Brad, Suwanee Ga.
'09 V650, several others too!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Smile Mighty Plugs

I have tried numerous different types of earplugs in the past 20 years or so. However they all hurt my ears after medium to long rides.

Eventually I discovered Mighty Plugs and have been wearing these for the past 4 years or so.

These Beeswax Earplugs are very soft and will shape to your ear. For motorcycle riding, I cut one pill in two and then kneed each one before inserting one into each ear.

If I'm at a noisy motel, etc., I use 2 full plugs. It works for me!

Check the video at Mighty Plugs for detailed explanations.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 10:29 PM

Garage
I used to use foam plugs, but then tried some silicone ones I got on Amazon that are designed for motorcycles. They block out the high pitched wind noise, but don't block out the road noise like foam plugs do. I'll never go back to foam plugs.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by james75 View Post
I used to use foam plugs, but then tried some silicone ones I got on Amazon that are designed for motorcycles. They block out the high pitched wind noise, but don't block out the road noise like foam plugs do. I'll never go back to foam plugs.
Thanks, mine will be here Tuesday.

Ride safe!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 06:05 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Any foam earplugs work great. Shoppers Drug (in Canada) or I suspect CVS (in US) or any other comparable chain, sell these. Just be sure to roll them between your fingers to compress first or you will have a problem inserting.

Wind noise is the culprit.
funflyingguy likes this.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2019, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I ended up getting both the motorcycle earplugs (link below) and the clip on windscreen spoiler. The difference is astonishing, mostly due to the spoiler however the new earplugs are not bad either. After two rides in the South Alabama country I have zero bugs on my visor and a very dirty spoiler. I know that bugs were not the problem I referenced but they serve as a good proxy for the effect - my visor is spotless.

The earplugs recess down into the ear canal and have a pull tab for removal. They do not work themselves out, as foam plugs can; I believe my problem began with the foam plugs working themselves out over the course of the ride.

A bit off-topic but I also picked up a new HWK jacket with the plugs/spoiler as my leather jacket was not comfortable in the Versys stance. I am very pleased with this jacket and it has preformed perfectly in the 60's weather I've ridden in all week. The first ride I turned around after filling up with gas to remove the liner; therefore I expect it will perform well in 9 months of South Alabama weather. One of the best aspect is that at 6'2" I still have room in the sleeve length to keep covered.

Earplugs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ride safe!
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covinth View Post
I ended up getting both the motorcycle earplugs (link below) and the clip on windscreen spoiler. The difference is astonishing, mostly due to the spoiler however the new earplugs are not bad either. After two rides in the South Alabama country I have zero bugs on my visor and a very dirty spoiler. I know that bugs were not the problem I referenced but they serve as a good proxy for the effect - my visor is spotless.

The earplugs recess down into the ear canal and have a pull tab for removal. They do not work themselves out, as foam plugs can; I believe my problem began with the foam plugs working themselves out over the course of the ride.

A bit off-topic but I also picked up a new HWK jacket with the plugs/spoiler as my leather jacket was not comfortable in the Versys stance. I am very pleased with this jacket and it has preformed perfectly in the 60's weather I've ridden in all week. The first ride I turned around after filling up with gas to remove the liner; therefore I expect it will perform well in 9 months of South Alabama weather. One of the best aspect is that at 6'2" I still have room in the sleeve length to keep covered.

Earplugs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Went to amazon, several problems, NRR rating if you do research, you will find that the rating of NRR is recommended to be reduced by 70% according to Niosh https://www.protectear.com/nrr-rating/ . I have very sensitive ear canals, my hearing loss is 27DB at 1500 HZ , I need to watch my right ear canal on a hourly basis, right now, I have had to reduce the dome size in my right ear for my hearing aids. The foam plugs I use are low pressure compressible disposable. That site gives very few options for fitment, some negative feedback. Nothing like being able to try things out and if they don't work, return for money back.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 02:25 PM

I played in bands for years.....loud electric guitar and often times on a small stage so I've got cymbals right next to me. I've used musicians plugs for decades. They idea is they're supposed to reduce all frequency levels equally. (or at least attempt to) The bass frequencies will be increased a bit, because your body will vibrate a bit and help communicate those low frequencies. I just tried to have the bass player set up on the other side of the stage.

But they seem to work well for motorcycling. I'm new to cycling, so I don't have a wealth of information. I 'think' my helmet is really loud from the wind. The windshield of the versys helps, but I get hit mid face with the wind even with the windshield all the way up. So I buy musicians earplugs with the highest rating I can find.

The squishy foam style make things sound like you're in a padded closet. Everything's muffled.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad906 View Post
I use the silicone style from Earpeace. Simple but effective. Foam type are excruciating after a couple hours for me. Similar noise block but all day comfortable. Worth the $25 or so to me compared to the price of custom molds.

Fwiw, my 09 V650 is what triggered my ringing after nearly 30 years on street bikes. 😞
+1 on the Earpeace.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 01:41 PM

Earplugsonline.com These reusable beeswax plugs work a treat and are super cheap.
quexpress likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode