Cold weather gear (esp gloves)? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have Warm & Safe brand heated gear. https://www.warmnsafe.com

The jacket liner goes on under a good waterproof/windproof shell. Sometimes I'll wear another warm thin layer between the liner and the shell. Note that the liner really does need to be snug to your body. When you first put it on you'll think you got the wrong size, but if it isn't snug it won't warm your body.

The gloves are quite good. The jacket liner has wiring to the wrist area for gloves. So it is simple to plug everything together. The gloves themselves have been fine and were waterproof the one time I road in cold rain.

Definitely get the 2 zone controller. One zone controls the jacket, the other the gloves. I mount the controller on the windshield frame.

My legs stay warm enough with windproof waterproof overpants. I've never added the insulated layer to them yet been warm enough for my commute (about 30 minutes mix of city/highway).

For warm feet the answer seems to be layers under a good thick boot. I have adventure boots and wear winter socks.

The V650 electrical system is not the beefiest. Heated gear maxes it out pretty quickly. The good news is you probably won't need to have the heated gear cranked up very high to stay warm, so you should be fine. Be aware if you get heated everything (jacket, gloves, pants, socks, grips, seat) that you'll be draining the battery unless you keep it turned down. Also, keep the revs up a bit. I tend to idle around at low rpm in town, but then the alternator can't produce enough juice, which then drains the battery. Aim for around 3k rpm or more except when you're stopped at a red light. I can feel the heated gear go cool if I don't.
Versys206 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
can you go with the Koso heated grips in a thicker size for the Versys 300? I've seen where some guys add grip puppies to make them thicker....
Versys206 likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versys206 View Post
Definitely adding Barkbusters asap and I think the heated grips are a great idea, too. Thanks much for this! Wondering, can you go with the Koso heated grips in a thicker size for the Versys 300? Even in regular/mesh moto gloves, they're a little too insubstantial for my hands and could use a thicker grip....
Their diameter has NOT been an issue for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
...My legs stay warm enough with windproof waterproof overpants....
Me TOO - I have the TOURMASTER heated pants liner, but have ONLY used them ONCE as my legs seem to stay warm enough w/out the 'heat'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
...The V650 electrical system is not the beefiest. Heated gear maxes it out pretty quickly....
W/ my "BACK-OFF" voltage monitor (1/4" LED) I can watch IF the revs are too low, and raise them as necessary.

IMG_0589 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0590 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0591 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

-
quexpress and Versys206 like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks so much for all of the feedback, everyone. Made my first long(er) ride on the Versys 300 from Seattle to Cashmere, WA (about 140 miles each way) with two passes in between (Snoqualmie and Blewitt- each in the mid 40s).

Dianese Tempest long gloves were a life-saver: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...RoC0bUQAvD_BwE

As was this: https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/freez...armr-balaclava

"Signals transmitted, message received." -Rush
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I would start with heated grips like the Oxford or Koso.

In cold weather, a heated jacket liner (not vest) is best but.... is probably overkill for most. The pain is with the short season it can be utilized combined with the high cost and the need to plug in and unplug every time you stop, plus the consistent electrical gremlins with the coaxial plugs that power it. I sold mine after many seasons.

A better compromise and investment, at least for me, is a high quality 3/4 length shell-type jacket (Klim Latitude) with a variable mid-layer I provide. I often use a Cosco fleece shell I purchased for $29. It is superior to any included liner I've seen. It also looks better off the bike. Alternatively, I can use lighter mid-layers or no mid-layer as the weather changes. Just make sure your outer jacket is not tight with whatever mid-layer you choose as the tightness will squeeze out the insulating air space needed to provide insulation.

The included insulated liners with most motorcycle jackets are very limiting IMO. The zip in capability is not really advantageous either. Included liners are usually a low-cost afterthought by the manufacturer and either too warm or too cool for your needs. With the "bring your own liner" philosophy you can adjust the inner layer as needed and get a great quality liner from a jacket you may already own or buy one for low $.

With heated grips, I use either regular gloves or waterproof but not insulated gloves in cold weather.

You need something to stop the wind on your legs when it gets cold. Most jeans suck at this which is why I wear motorcycle pants with the water/wind liner installed.
Versys206 likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 10-08-2019 at 01:15 PM.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
We have 12V powered heated jackets and gloves.
They hook up to a 12V harness mounted to the bike.

Note that most driver gloves heat the back side of the hands and fingers only, so heated grips are a plus when the temps drop below freezing.

The jacket typically has connections at the end of the sleeve to plug the gloves into - otherwise, you will need a separate harness for the gloves. Get the Jacket instead of the vest. You will be much happier.

Beware that this will turn you into a big sissy in under a week.

You have been warned.
52Degrees, Versys206 and chachi2 like this.

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post

Beware that this will turn you into a big sissy in under a week.

You have been warned.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode