I've never had a warm jacket I liked - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

I've never had a warm jacket I liked

...and it's because of removable liners.

If you buy a jacket that fits with the liner in, it's too big with the liner out. The armor sits wherever it feels like once you've taken up all the slack with the adjusters.

If you buy a jacket that fits with the liner out, it's too small with the liner in. The armor slides around on the liner. And you feel like a little kid bundled up by his mother.

The liner forces the cuffs of the shell to be huge, and you can't fit your glove gauntlet over it. With the liner out it's too much slack to take up with the velcro. With the liner in you can't even move your wrist.

My snowboard jacket has none of these problems. Its liner is integrated. It has armpit vents, not front intakes, and it has plenty of closable pocket space. It works so well as a windbreaker from cool to cold weather that I've worn it around town and on the bike, too. If it does get too cold I can put a fleece under it and it doesn't screw it up.

Why can't I get this in a bike jacket?

I'm calm like a bomb!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Good question...

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 11:27 PM

It's probably a great jacket, if you ride on pavement that has sliding friction similar to that of snow. Or, put it another way, it's a great jacket until you crash.

I agree, though. Jackets that fit well with liner (not to mention all the layers you need around here in winter) doesn't fit well in summer. There two simple options to deal with that - heated gear helps cut down on number and bulk of layer needed and/or buy two jackets, one for winter one for summer.

Gustavo

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

I live in California, my summer jacket is mesh with a windbreaker for cool mornings, and I'm mostly happy with it, though it's a little the worse for wear. Yes I know it's not abrasion resistant, my own experience so far is that the armor is more important. But I think this year I'll get one of those with "strategically placed" leather.

I'm calm like a bomb!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 01:48 PM

try this

the scorpion xdr commander will make you happy. I don't have any of those probs w/mine.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

That looks pretty equivalent to what I've got right now

I'm calm like a bomb!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 09:02 PM

Talking

The solution is quite easy really, for me anyway...Summer time drink more Sierra Nevada and gain about 10 lbs...Jacket without liner fits perfect...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 10:53 AM
psc

You need a Motoport jacket. I look like a Michelin man irrespective of the layers. So, once the vanity and ego are crushed, it doesn't matter anymore. Only comfort and safety remain.

Peter
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 07:29 PM

Question

Darth,

I'm sorta with you on this. I purposely bought my jackets a bit oversized so that I can get an extra layer underneath them. But when reading you origional post the thought that ran through my mind is that you don't need a liner, but an overjacket. Something that will give you an extra layer of warmth, but won't alter the fit of your normal (protective) jacket.

Monte
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode