• 1 Post By Mossyrocks13k
  • 1 Post By Psjeff
  • 1 Post By SteveJ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Android & iPhone Apps for Motorcycling?

I can't help but feel the dedicated and expensive motorcycle GPS units are becoming redundant and obsolete due to the fact most of us are now carrying around a waterproof and vibration proof computer with significant processing power and built-in GPS and motion sensors.

Looking for software suggestions (Android). What software/apps do you people use for trip planning on a computer, running routes on your phone, navigation, performance monitoring, maintenance tracking, etc.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm no GPS expert believe me, but I'm running OsmAnd on a waterproof/shockproof Kyocera phablet (entirely off-line) as a dedicated GPS unit for my bike. ADVrider has an excellent sub-forum on GPS, which has several huge threads on using cell phones, including how to go off-line: https://advrider.com/f/forums/gps-10...gps-for-me.75/
twowheels and 16VGTIDave like this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I can't help but feel the dedicated and expensive motorcycle GPS units are becoming redundant and obsolete due to the fact most of us are now carrying around a waterproof and vibration proof computer with significant processing power and built-in GPS and motion sensors.

Looking for software suggestions (Android). What software/apps do you people use for trip planning on a computer, running routes on your phone, navigation, performance monitoring, maintenance tracking, etc.?
I have an Iphone so I am not sure if it is on Android but I use an App called Rever. I enjoy it quite a bit as it can track my ride and certain things. Otherwise I use google maps and use the avoid highways option if I am going on a longer ride. I too do not see the point of a $600 GPS when my phone can do the exact same thing plus some.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 07:17 PM

Garage
I have Co-Pilot on my phone (Android) as a back-up. It works a lot like a TomTom Rider. Basic App with 1 set of offline maps is free. Voice and more advanced features cost a little.
It accepts TRP files, so routing can be done using Tyre.
dadsafrantic likes this.

I try to be the kind of person my dogs think I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 07:24 PM

Garage
I am happy with Osmand+. It is quite good for offline navigation, to save battery I can put the phone into airplane mode and it still navigates well. I have used furcot to plan routes - though it seems a bit complicated for simple rides. For something simpler, the other day I planned a loop from Guelph to Lake Erie using Kurviger (https://kurviger.de) and it did a very good job of finding the paved backroads for the route. For both of these, I export the route to a .gpx file on my Google Drive from which it is easy to import into Osmand on the phone (with Kurviger I had to choose the 'a lot' of points option, a bit of trial and error). On the phone you can just display the .gpx route and follow that or have Osmand navigate over the imported route for turn-by-turn directions. I find this much easier than to try to create the route on the phone itself.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 09:09 AM

Garage
I use Waze with Cookie Monster's voice for GPS.

I use an app called Bike Sensor for my own angle testing. It has a buffer, so my angles appear to be more accurate than any of the other apps I've used.

Calimoto has a horrendously expensive pay wall, but looked promising otherwise.

I downloaded ESR, but haven't done much with it.

Yamaha's MyRide has decent functionality, but eats batteries very quickly.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 12:13 PM

Garage
I ride with Bluetooth headphones under my helmet; and enjoy listening to music from radioparadise on my android phone with an occasional "speed trap ahead" message interrupting the tunes. I set a destination in google maps even if I know where I'm going just for that reason.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 01:17 AM

Garage
Google maps can do that, warn for speed cams?

I use Flitsmeister for (normal) navigation and speed cams, poweramp app for music streaming to a Sena 3S.

And if I want to ride a pre planned gpx-route, I use the TomTom Go Mobile app, works very well but you need to pay for the subscription (6euro/month or 20euro/year) if you want to use it for more than 75km/month... So you need the subscription.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:11 AM

I’ve used phones/apps for navigation on the bike but the main issue I don’t enjoy is the always limited battery life of phones/tablets. So, instead of a bike-dedicated GPS unit, I use the rock-solid Garmin GPSMap 64s mounted with a RAM mount. All the routing functionality of bike/car units in addition to many functions for hiking, adventuring, etc. And much cheaper than the bike units. Way better GPS antennae than phones/tablets, and uses always available AA batteries.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 04:08 PM

The other day I needed some fresh air so I threw my phone on the kitchen table, left my Garmin in the boat, hopped on my bike and rode for 7 hours. I found that the roads I had never been on before had signs along the way and I was home in time to bbq the dinner. You aren't lost unless you have to be somewhere else
Bbakeman0971 likes this.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psjeff View Post
The other day I needed some fresh air so I threw my phone on the kitchen table, left my Garmin in the boat, hopped on my bike and rode for 7 hours. I found that the roads I had never been on before had signs along the way and I was home in time to bbq the dinner. You aren't lost unless you have to be somewhere else
Or run out of gas.
Bbakeman0971 likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psjeff View Post
...You aren't lost unless you have to be somewhere else....
OR - your bike is on its side and you're 'walking' out from somewhere;

OR - you're caught UNDER your bike, can't move it - and you have to be somewhere else....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode