I'm Helmet poor - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm Helmet poor

Well it's a shame. I have an Arai RX7 Cosair, an Arai Astral, an Arai Vector and a Scorpion EXO 1000. They are either old or no longer fit. I'm looking for a new helmet and I don't see myself forking out north of six hundred bucks like I used to do.

RX7 is 10 years old and Arai advises against its use.
Astral is 11 years old.
Vector is soon to be 7 years old and is flat black
EXO 1000 no longer fits. It was tight to begin with and, like everything else, seems to have gotten even smaller

Any input or tips you guys have are appreciated in advance!

I'm no diplomat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 09:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Yamadog View Post
Well it's a shame. I have an Arai RX7 Cosair, an Arai Astral, an Arai Vector and a Scorpion EXO 1000. They are either old or no longer fit. I'm looking for a new helmet and I don't see myself forking out north of six hundred bucks like I used to do.

Astral is 11 years old.
EXO 1000 no longer fits. It was tight to begin with and, like everything else, seems to have gotten even smaller

Have you taught about, maybe thinner internal pad (if they do exist) for your latest helmet ?

LOP
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

The Scorpion is really too small. Its so small that I have difficulty removing it. I don't think there are any smaller inserts, like the Arai has, available. It was a bad purchase on my part.

I'm no diplomat

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 09:51 AM

If you don't want to shell out that Arai Corsair,Schubert C3 kinda money, I suggest you check out Suomy and Bell. Suomy is an italian brand, I've recently picked up a Vandal for like 250 with extra visor and it's quality build. Light as feather, Sharp5 safety, visor is super clear, also very hard to fog. No pinlock, but I haven't seen a visor that withstands fogging this much. Did I mention Arai comfy? Plush liner too. On the down side, no ratcheting mechanism on visor, hard to change, they say its noisy and probably thats it. For that price, best bang for your buck in my opinion. Of course at the end it all comes down to proper fit and personal preference, and always best to try on those helmets for a longer period of time. With Suomy you have to go a size up guaranteed. Check out their Apex line too.Bell coming back strong in recent years. Their top helmet is the Star ,you can find them sometimes on sale around 300. Certain graphics only. Next in line is the RS1 , in that price range. Very well constructed helmets, and they offer the transition shield (extra 110$)which tints under sunlight. I have one on my Star works flawlessly. Overall good quality ,comfy helmets, magnetic chin strap on the Star (not sure about RS1) Ratcheting visor mechanism , easiest shield change ever on any helmets period!, best venting full face helmet period! Nothing really on the down side, I don't really like their graphics Hence their variety.
Find a good store , try it on first if you can.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Had a Scorpion way to tight after my crash i went with a nolan. big difference on the overall size and weight of the helmets. http://www.flickr.com/photos/5418178...7628615376337/ nolan was about $220.00

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 10:13 AM

Check here for a ton of really good reviews: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm

Personally if I ever pick up a cheap helmet at MSRP it would be this sucker since I really like the graphics (love the old warthog planes): http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/b...g-tiger-helmet

Webbikeworld says that the Bell Vortex is the best helmet you can get for under $200 (noisy, but other than that, great).
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Good input guys..keep it coming. I'm currently looking at the Nolan N104. I think I'll head over to cycle gear and try a few on.

I'm no diplomat
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 10:36 AM

Not familiar with the N104, but Nolangroup is also italian. Wife has an X-lite 802 helmet made by them and I'd love to steal it sometimes if it wasn't for the graphics or fit. It's that sweet of a helmet. Good luck with your purchase.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 12:14 PM

For your inexpensive consideration....
Meets Snell 2010 and DOT standards: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...et_solids.html

$142, free shipping.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 12:32 PM

i'm using an HJC CL-16, also SNELL 2010 and DOT approved. For under $120 shipped (solid colors)

http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PR...FUVcpQodilsAXQ

Comes in graphic colors for slightly more (i'm wearing a shock mc-1 with my imperial red)

http://www.hjchelmets.com/prds_cl16.htm to see available colors

Peter
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I have any Aria Profile and love it but am not sure I would buy another just because I'm not sure it is really worth the huge cost unless I can find one on discount. The Bell RS-1 seems like a great helmet for the money. It all comes down to fit. There are lots of great helmets but not all of them give me a great fit for my particular head shape.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Good input guys..keep it coming. I'm currently looking at the Nolan N104. I think I'll head over to cycle gear and try a few on.
Ive got the Nolan 104 with the B4 bluetooth system and really enjoy the helmet, my previous helmet was shark rsx and was a large size and the nolan fits me great in medium. Good price in my view as the bluetooth system cost me more than the helmet lol.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:

Astral is 11 years old.

Is there anything wrong with the RX7 and Astral besides their age? Are they worn, damaged or are you just wanting something different?
I'm not suggesting this for you or anyone else because if I did we would probably have to wade through 100 posts telling me how irresponsible and misguided I am, but, if it were me, I wouldn't worry about the age of a helmet. I know the manufactures suggest getting a new one every X number of years. They don't know how I use my helmet? They don't know how often I wear it or how much sun sees it or what I clean it with, etc. How do they know how long my helmet is going to last. For that matter every manufacturer uses their own blend of paint, shell and padding material. How can anyone say with any amount of accuracy how long every helmet is good for.
For this reason, I think this abitrary self destruct time period placed on helmets is BS. It also helps them sell more helmets.
If all else is good with your older helmets, I would just keep wearing them, but that's just me.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the thoughtful reply Ray. I do not want to go to the expense of replacing my helmets. Their main purpose is to to protect my head and whats inside of it. The helmet industry is telling me their ability to protect my brain from closed head injury is diminished due to the age-hardening of the helmet's materials over time. I sure would like to see some empirical data on this.

The Helmets are in excellent condition. I keep them clean and store them indoors. I do not hang them on mirrors or allow them to be banged around. I use nothing but mild soapy water to clean them and a little Febreze in the liners.

I'm no diplomat
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 11:58 AM

Closeout Shoei lids at motorcyclegear.com

I keep having to stop myself; I'm not due for a new helmet yet.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80-watt Hamster View Post
Closeout Shoei lids at motorcyclegear.com

I keep having to stop myself; I'm not due for a new helmet yet.

Damn i forgot about getting that ad. I don't need it but came close to getting the Multitec because of the price

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the thoughtful reply Ray. I do not want to go to the expense of replacing my helmets. Their main purpose is to to protect my head and whats inside of it. The helmet industry is telling me their ability to protect my brain from closed head injury is diminished due to the age-hardening of the helmet's materials over time. I sure would like to see some empirical data on this.

The Helmets are in excellent condition. I keep them clean and store them indoors. I do not hang them on mirrors or allow them to be banged around. I use nothing but mild soapy water to clean them and a little Febreze in the liners.
I haven't seen any studies done on the degradation of helmets but I have read "recommendations".

Here's the recommendation from MSF. Not very definitive if you ask me.
Most helmet manufacturers recommend replacing your helmet every
two to four years. If you notice any signs of damage before then,
replace it sooner.
Why replace your helmet every few years if it doesn't appear
damaged? Its protective qualities may deteriorate with time and
wear.
The chin strap may fray or loosen at its attaching points; the
shell could be chipped or damaged. The best reason is that helmets
keep improving. Chances are that the helmet you buy in a couple of
years will be better – stronger, lighter, and more comfortable – than
the one you own now. It might even cost less!

Here's what Snell has to say about replacing your helmet. Again, not exactly scientific proof that the helmet will no longer protect you.
Snell institute recommendations are that you should replace your helmet every two years if you race, and every five years regardless. Helmets significantly more than five years old should be destroyed. The components in the helmets that protect you tend to deteriorate with time. The time starts when the helmet is worn - oils in your hair break down the helmet liner in time. If your helmet is older than five years, you may be fooling your wife and yourself, but you're not fooling the laws of physics. Oh, and remember, the laws of physics were discovered by physicists, but we didn't make them: they're God's laws, not ours.

I don't know, I'm not a physicist and I'm not a god but then I've never read or heard any independant physicist (or god) show proof that a helmet needs to be replaced after X number of years, just recommendations from manufacturers.

Last edited by ray h; 02-06-2013 at 04:40 PM.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 05:55 PM

I'll add another recommendation for Bell. I have an RS1 and I don't have a bad thing to say about it. Stable in the wind, comfortable liner, easy shield change, doesn't fog often, and if it does, you flip the shield lock lever forward and vent it. It has great vents for warmer weather, and a chin curtain to keep the cold out. It's very similar to the top of the line star, with a little less aggressive fit, and a less aggressive aerodynamic profile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode