1Likes
  • 1 Post By Doug Just Doug

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Zumo 396 LMT

I was searching for prices and came across this deal on the Garmin Zumo 396 LMT

https://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-z...GPS-P5565.aspx

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 07-04-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
That's a good price and the 396 LMT is a good bit of equipment. Installed one on my Spyder RT-S and am very pleased with it.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 01:38 PM
jpd

Garage
I have an old nuvi 500 that now thinks it is Oct 1999 due to the GPS network reset. I emailed Garmin and there response was to get a newer unit as they are not going to support my older one. They gave me a 20% discount on the Zumo 396 ltm. ($319.00) They didn't offer the Zumo I had to ask about it.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

I’ve had a few Garmin devices and every time I’d go to upgrade I’d call and get a discount. I always had to ask too.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 11:56 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
My feeling is the dedicated GPS has been superseded by the smart phone. A modern smart phone has a larger screen, more processing power and the same GPS receiver and bluetooth. There are a multitude of software options for Android some of which are motorcycle specific. My LG6 is also waterproof and just as shock proof.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
This is actually a very good deal. I have one on my wish list on Revzilla, and it's $399.

I initially thought about using my phone in lieu of a GPS, but I think I'd use my phone in town and a GPS on big rides. I have two reasons for this:

1) That's a *lot* of data to use when I don't have an unlimited plan.
2) If I lose my cell signal, I lose my in-ride navigation and would have to resort to pulling over and using <gasp> a real-live map.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 10:10 PM
jpd

Garage
I am still a gps person. I would rather put a $350.00 gps on the bike instead of a $1000.00 phone. The bike enviroment has a lot of vibration and heat. I have used Garmin basecamp for route planing and know how to have it make the route I want. My cell phone stayes in my cargo pocket or saddle bag.

That said I now also run on older s 5 phone with off line maping app as a wide view map. It has no data plan but the gps works great. It gives me a 10 to 20 mile view of the area I am in.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 09:21 PM

zumo has another feature not likely found on a smartphone. It can detect a crash and send a notification to someone you specify in advance.
It also offers "LiveTrack" if you want someone to follow your route.
Both features do require a smartphone, so it's "in addition to", not "instead of".

And yes, the zumo is "ruggedized" for vibration and weather where most smartphones aren't. It's also glove friendly.

Things to consider....
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Still on Zumo 500 , after a complete repair job done by Zumo Hong Kong and cost me about US$150.00.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcyclist View Post
This is actually a very good deal. I have one on my wish list on Revzilla, and it's $399.

I initially thought about using my phone in lieu of a GPS, but I think I'd use my phone in town and a GPS on big rides. I have two reasons for this:

1) That's a *lot* of data to use when I don't have an unlimited plan.
2) If I lose my cell signal, I lose my in-ride navigation and would have to resort to pulling over and using <gasp> a real-live map.
Just to clarify, all modern phones will let you use the GPS function without the need for a data plan, a carrier, or even a SIM card. I ditched my dedicated GPS units for a used $75 cell phone/phablet (big screen, waterproof without a case, glove friendly, MIL spec) used entirely off-line. Ivcan still use it on WiFi for anything you'd use a smart phone for, including Facetime or Skype calls, all for free.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 08:10 AM

Garage
That seems to be a great deal. I clicked on the link and that model is being offered at $249.00 and free 2 day shipping! I was expecting 3 bills for a sales price. I will have to quickly ponder this one.

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.

Last edited by Craigar; 07-06-2019 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Brainfart
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Good Price for USA

Good if you live in the USA, not so
for Canada
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 10:51 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Good if you live in the USA, not so
for Canada
Yes, that would be disappointing if I continued to travel North of the border.

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
Just to clarify, all modern phones will let you use the GPS function without the need for a data plan, a carrier, or even a SIM card. I ditched my dedicated GPS units for a used $75 cell phone/phablet (big screen, waterproof without a case, glove friendly, MIL spec) used entirely off-line. Ivcan still use it on WiFi for anything you'd use a smart phone for, including Facetime or Skype calls, all for free.
I didn't realize that was an option. It seemed to me that the carrier was needed in order to track my progress along the route. Learn something new every day.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcyclist View Post
I didn't realize that was an option. It seemed to me that the carrier was needed in order to track my progress along the route. Learn something new every day.
Tons of great info on GPS and phones in this sub-forum of ADVrider: https://advrider.com/f/forums/gps-10...gps-for-me.75/
txcyclist likes this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode