HJC Symax II Review - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up HJC Symax II Review

Just picked up a new modular HJC Symax 2...Great helmet, great fit. I know its all about the fit, but, the mech to open is beyond important with a flip up and the HJC and AGV are both one hand glove easy. Bunch of us drove up to Helmet Source (bout 150 mi one way) and spent 4 hours trying on every modular they had. I'm a big fan of Shoei, but their mechanism sucks, same with Nolan. We all agreed the HJC S2 was the bomb. Has plenty of room round the ears, great padding, very cool fighter style built in tinted drop down visor (also operates with a gloved hand). Noise? About the same as my old Shoei.
If you are in the market for a new modular lid I would suggest the Symax II. Out of 4 of us we bought 3 of them. We all had Shoei full's before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V2.JPG (768.2 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg V3.JPG (730.6 KB, 339 views)
File Type: jpg Old-New (2).JPG (745.9 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg V1 (2).JPG (714.3 KB, 350 views)
File Type: jpg V4.JPG (797.6 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg V5.JPG (803.9 KB, 228 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

Nice!

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 10:31 PM

Nice!

I wound up with the Shoei modular, and I am pretty happy with it, and went wit if primarily because of fit and the latching mechanism is steel, not plastic or pot metal.

It is fairly noisy, and fogs up easily. The chin vent is all but useless, but the top vent is good. It is very comfortable for my head shape, and I LOVE the modulars! It is very nice to be able to flip the chin bar up!

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

I agree 1000% Red...Flipup is the only way to go...Cripes, I even wear it in the store now... Have a snack, cigar, leave the lid on Its all good
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 08:16 AM

I wear the Symax II and it seems to be a good helmet. One little quirk - don't close it up unless it's on your head. I have a b**** of a time opening that helmet unless it's on my head. The button just doesn't seem to work.

The helmet seems a little noisy but I think that's common with modulars.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

I just tried mine and it opened no prob just hanging from the handlebars... Maybe time to exchange for another?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 10:48 AM
psc

I have both the Shoei modular and the Symax II. The Shoei is more plush, has a bit better insulation and comes with the pinlock shield. So I use it in the winter/rain commute. The Symax, because of its pivot being further back, is a bit more quiet. The Symax drop down visor is not low enough (I still have glare from the bottom of the outer shield). So I solved the problem by lowering it to the "remove" position, which now barely sits over my nose and covers everything. I sure wish that the tint is darker though. I use the Symax for the summer time. I guess that the moral of th story is to buy them all.

Peter
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 10:05 PM

I am running with the older HJC CL-Max and I will be looking at the new Symax for sure!

I tried tons of helmets and the CL-Max had the best fit for my head. The only thing is that I usually run it with sunglasses and it gets a little tight. The drop visor would be a fine improvement

Unfortunately the helmet doesn't fit in my Givi G35 side case. It is a little wide than standard.

I sure hope that they improved the ventilation on it but overall I am very pleased with it

Charles Leblanc
2007 Versys
Givi Windshield and side case
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

My old helmet is an HJC CL-Max.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Was at the International Moto show and talked to an HJC rep...He indicated that there were darker dropdowns for the Symax 11 available...Easy to change also...At least he made it look easy

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 01:57 PM

I too am looking for a darker drop down sun shield for the Symax 2 but there is nothing listed on the HJC web page. If you find one I'd like to know where.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 06:30 PM

I have a CL-Max and it fits my oval shaped head perfectly. Is the symax 2 the same oval shape?

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 11:55 PM

I have a CL12, Symax and Symax 2 and they all fit the same except that the S 2 is just a bit larger. Don't have any experience with the Max.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 08:59 PM

I've had my Sy Max II for a couple of months now and it's the best helmet I've ever

had. Glad to know they have a darker sun shade available.

Mike..................Sweet Home Alabama
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 04:59 PM

I have had my Symax II for a couple of months. Feels good on the head but I find it a bit noisy. I also like the action of the regular visor which "clicks" into position. The sun visor is barely comfortable and seems to sit a little too far back towards the face; if I adjust the seating of the helmet on my head I can use it alright. Reasonable value for the money for a modular helmet.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 02:19 PM

I find the main visor won't close down both sides at the same time. I hope this loosens up with age. The sun-visor is a cool feature but has too much glare and distortion to make it really full time usable (at least for me). I'm a photographer so may be a little hyper-sensitive to optical quality.

Otherwise it's a great helmet for the money!

CC

---------------------------------------------------
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 02:43 PM

Send a message via MSN to joshmedley
What are thoughts on the NOLAN lids...I'm toying with buy one of the modulars.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Just picked up a silver mirror coated main visor for the Symax ll....Wicked nice...Cuts down on glare a zillion percent and makes the internal dropdown about twice a effective...Another payoff...It gives the helmet the beyond Darth Vader look...Can find it @
http://www.rockheadbikes.com/HJC_SYMAX_2_s/134.htm

And just an fyi. The dropdown sunsheild has 2 positions. The first extends it to just above the bridge of my snozz and if you hold release button down it and move the slide button forward there is another detent that will drop down another 3/4"...Makes it perfect on me...

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode