• 1 Post By hawkerjet
  • 2 Post By 16VGTIDave
  • 1 Post By 52Degrees
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By hawkerjet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Gloves

I find it interesting that many street riding gloves have lots of armor on the top side. Now if you fall off your typical reaction will be to reach out for the ground with your palms down while all that armor on top will do nothing for you.

There was a time when I raced flat track that top side armor was very useful. You are going 80 mph and the rider in front of you is spraying you with roost that will make your knuckles bleed and put paint ball style bruises on your chest. Not to mention the occasional nut or bolt that is hiding in the cushion and has become a 100+ mph projectile.

My dirt bike days are over and I only ride street these days, so back to the topic of street gloves. Some of you may laugh or even lecture me on my choice of riding gloves. I have tried a number of the more substantial gloves only to find my hands go numb in fairly short order. Yes a do have a bit of neuropathy in my hands. My gloves of choice are batting gloves. Very cool, light, flexible, and inexpensive. Yes no armor on top but remember my first point about putting down your hands palms down. In the winter time I have a real nice pair of skiing gloves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16ADIATRLGYGLVCLRBTG_Red.jpg (44.9 KB, 28 views)
jpd and Skypilot 69 like this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

MOST (if not ALL...) of my gloves have padded areas near the 'heel' of the palm, for unexpected slides down the road....
Turk and hawkerjet like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 03:39 PM

Garage
I joke every time I buy gloves about the knuckle protectors on riding gloves.

Those are for mirrors, and there's nothing that can be said to convince me any differently.

Same thing goes for the knuckle protectors on police gloves... Not for anything other than hitting.
16VGTIDave likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
I joke every time I buy gloves about the knuckle protectors on riding gloves.

Those are for mirrors, and there's nothing that can be said to convince me any differently.

Same thing goes for the knuckle protectors on police gloves... Not for anything other than hitting.
Brass knuckle gloves. Excellent idea.
52Degrees likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 08:42 AM

Garage
A ‘Fall On Out Stretched Hands’ or FOOSH is all too common and keeps orthopedic surgeons on call 24/7/365 at every ER around the world. There are many small bones in our hands and wrists that shatter under impact. This is even worse when that impact occurs at speed.

Good motorcycle gloves, for street or track use, will have inserts on the heels of the hand that act as low friction sliders. Leather, rubber, or other grippy materials are the enemy. Hard plastic, metal, or “Superfabric” inserts are what to look for. These sliders will help reduce friction upon contact with the pavement, and the resulting hyper extension of the wrists, and may reduce the severity of the injuries. Lots of ambiguity, but if you want a guarantee you should buy a small appliance, life doesn’t come with one.

Of course, a better tactic would be to fall properly. Tuck yourself into a ball and roll. Let your armored riding gear take the abuse while you keep your fragile extremities and delicate abdomen protected. If you are going down, your puny hands are not going to do anything but get smashed and shredded. Get them close to your chest, like the fetal position, then slide and bounce with your helmet, shoulder, elbow, back, hip, knee armor and boots taking the abuse. You do ride ATGATT, don’t you?
Turk and hawkerjet like this.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 09:39 AM

Garage
Preaching ATGATT to a group of Versys owners is a bit like asking a geek if he owns a multimeter.
Turk likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 05:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VGTIDave View Post
A ‘Fall On Out Stretched Hands’ or FOOSH is all too common and keeps orthopedic surgeons on call 24/7/365 at every ER around the world. There are many small bones in our hands and wrists that shatter under impact. This is even worse when that impact occurs at speed.

Good motorcycle gloves, for street or track use, will have inserts on the heels of the hand that act as low friction sliders. Leather, rubber, or other grippy materials are the enemy. Hard plastic, metal, or “Superfabric” inserts are what to look for. These sliders will help reduce friction upon contact with the pavement, and the resulting hyper extension of the wrists, and may reduce the severity of the injuries. Lots of ambiguity, but if you want a guarantee you should buy a small appliance, life doesn’t come with one.

Of course, a better tactic would be to fall properly. Tuck yourself into a ball and roll. Let your armored riding gear take the abuse while you keep your fragile extremities and delicate abdomen protected. If you are going down, your puny hands are not going to do anything but get smashed and shredded. Get them close to your chest, like the fetal position, then slide and bounce with your helmet, shoulder, elbow, back, hip, knee armor and boots taking the abuse. You do ride ATGATT, don’t you?
The best tactic is to not fall at all. 🙂
hawkerjet likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

"Some of you may laugh or even lecture me on my choice of riding gloves."

I knew someone would try to straiten me out. Good O'l Dave to the rescue.
52Degrees likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
I find it interesting that many street riding gloves have lots of armor on the top side. Now if you fall off your typical reaction will be to reach out for the ground with your palms down while all that armor on top will do nothing for you
You'd think so, but it often happens so quickly you probably won't reach out. But it's a possibility, so I only buy gloves with palm sliders now.

A few years ago someone coming from the opposite direction on a 2 lane highway crossed into my lane and hit me. Among my many broken bones was a bone in my left hand, just above my knuckle. I think if I would have had better knuckle protection that bone would not have been broken, and I wouldn't still be dealing with pain there. So now I only use gloves with very tough knuckle armor. I like the aluminum ones but they are less comfortable.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
"Some of you may laugh or even lecture me on my choice of riding gloves."

I knew someone would try to straiten me out. Good O'l Dave to the rescue.

I did not disagree with you, just added info that studies and research have proven. But you are free to misinterpret what I wrote as you see fit.

What? Who? Oh, right. Now I remember. Sorry, hadn’t cared to notice who the OP was. Thanks for the heads up, I won’t waste any further effort with this.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I did not disagree with you, just added info that studies and research have proven. But you are free to misinterpret what I wrote as you see fit.

What? Who? Oh, right. Now I remember. Sorry, hadn’t cared to notice who the OP was. Thanks for the heads up, I won’t waste any further effort with this.
I meant no disrespect. Just adding a bit of humor.

Cookin Wid Gas

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode