This time by Ryan @ FortNine

hawkerjet likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Unread 06-12-2019, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
.. and chain cleaner comparison

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Unread 06-12-2019, 04:36 PM

I wish he try diesel for cleaning. Because I know guy who clean chain only with diesel, and that cain last 60 000 km on some kawasaky bike with 1000cc.
I mean company which own bulldozer, excavator etc. which cost 300 000$ or more, they clean parts in diesel.
If they clean that much expensive machines with diesel I don't see reason to not use them on chain.
Diesel is also greasy (if is that correct word on english).
I still didn't use diesel for my bike because I first buy spray from Ipon for cleaning 750ml package, but I see that almost all my friend clean in diesel or gasoline and chain or something more aggresive.
But many people recomenden diesel to me, even my service guy.
quexpress likes this.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Unread 06-12-2019, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kardan View Post
I wish he try diesel for cleaning. Because I know guy who clean chain only with diesel, and that cain last 60 000 km on some kawasaky bike with 1000cc.
I mean company which own bulldozer, excavator etc. which cost 300 000$ or more, they clean parts in diesel.
If they clean that much expensive machines with diesel I don't see reason to not use them on chain.
Diesel is also greasy (if is that correct word on english).
I still didn't use diesel for my bike because I first buy spray from Ipon for cleaning 750ml package, but I see that almost all my friend clean in diesel or gasoline and chain or something more aggresive.
But many people recomenden diesel to me, even my service guy.

Diesel and home heating oil are both forms of kerosene so they should behave identically to kerosene in cleaning your chain.

Cleaning with gasoline or petroleum solvents like brake cleaner will damage the rubber seals in the chain.
quexpress and kardan like this.

Last edited by twowheels; 06-12-2019 at 06:00 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Unread 06-12-2019, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

I am used to Diesel to clean my chain and my rims after long ride. No harm done so far after almost 10yrs of use.
quexpress likes this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Unread 06-12-2019, 10:08 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to RocketyMan
WD40 was originally created as a de-greaser. Last time I washed my bike, I used WD40 and ALL the grime came right off with some elbow grease.

2017 Kawasaki Versys 650
MODS: Thermo-Bob 3, Barkbusters Storm, Scorpion Slip-on Exhaust, Givi Rear Tire Hugger & Topcase Plate M7, T-Rex Racing: Engine Guard Crash Cages; Skid Plate; Front Axle Sliders
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Unread 06-13-2019, 06:02 AM

Garage
I subscribe to Ryan's videos. Now that I am back to chain drive bikes I have started using gear oil as my lubricant and will see how it goes. I am cleaning and lubing every 200 miles or so since I am not taking any trips with these bikes and do gravel and water crossings with them. I had an open bottle of gear oil so that is what prompted me to give it a try. If I was going to travel with chain drive bikes again I would definitely get an oiler this time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sm20190601_090654.jpg (92.9 KB, 12 views)

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Unread 06-13-2019, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
My favourite (of what I have used to date) is Motul because it only requires a little bit from the can to lube the entire chain unlike most chain lubes, so a little goes a long way, and the spray can applicator is the best and cleanest.

Maxima chain wax seems to leave a lot of build up on the chain that is hard to clean off.

I've been a long time Dupont user. It seems to be self cleaning as does not attract a lot of grit but the spray can is not as good as Motul so it wastes a lot more as over spray. It also seems to leave less lubricant on the chain.

Speculating Oxford seems a lot like DuPont Chain Saver in composition so should theoretically have similar properties.

I've used gear oil and what ever the test says, it makes a mess of the rear rim in fling off. What I would have liked Ryan's test to show is how well they all do their job over the 400km interval most manufacturers recommend between applications.

Last edited by twowheels; 06-13-2019 at 08:43 AM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Unread 06-17-2019, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kardan View Post
...But many people recommended diesel to me, even my service guy....
In some English magazines they'll mention cleaning your chain w/ "paraffin" - that's just another word for kerosene/diesel.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Unread 06-19-2019, 10:02 AM

Diesel cleans the chain and cleans the sprockets very well, but diesel has a strong odor.
Not good for me, because my motorcycles live inside the basement of the house.
So, I use WD-40 to clean the chain and the sprockets.

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Unread 06-19-2019, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
...So, I use WD-40 to clean the chain and the sprockets.
AND lube [in MY case!].

kballowe likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Unread 06-25-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
In some English magazines they'll mention cleaning your chain w/ "paraffin" - that's just another word for kerosene/diesel.
In Croatia is little different, paraffin (petrolej on my language) is used in old time for light in paraffin lamp.
Kerosene I can't buy in store. I can probably buy kerosene in some aeroclub or something like that where people use them (no idea how much cost or will they even sell me that) .
Diesel is old fasion diesel.
Some people say in my country that paraffin = kerosene, but how much I understand paraffine is dirty kerosene and it is cheap.
Some people say he is best, some that diesel is best.
For now diesel is in usage because I spent 750ml Ipon chain cleaner.
Diesel work very well, but need more time to remowe them all with tissue and with old cotton clothes.

Last edited by kardan; 06-25-2019 at 01:50 PM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Unread 06-25-2019, 05:10 PM

Garage
WD40 is essentially kerosene with the smell removed.

Randy

Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Unread 06-26-2019, 02:23 AM

Garage
not really

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Unread 06-26-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketyMan View Post
WD40 was originally created as a de-greaser.
Actually,I believe WD-40 was created as a means to inhibit rust on steel machine parts. WD stands for water displacement. Road salt,for instance,will show you which parts of your vehicle have steel in them by rusting.As a penetrating oil it "soaks" in to the steel and keeps water from getting in. Its main ingredient is Naptha , a more refined kerosene which cleans out the "pores" of the metal. The next ingredient is parrafin(distilled from petroleum}.The Naptha evaporates(there is also some Xylene in there which is a "Joker" level solvent) and leave the parrafin to fill and seal the metal keeping water from getting in. Kinda like Sensodyne,which fills the pores and coats our teeth! This chain Im trying Teflon spray,which is similar to WD-40 as a lubricant as it cleans with a solvent and leaves teflon instead of parrafin after the solvent evaporates. Like WD,its a minimalist approach and I like to give the chain a spritz more often. Less cleaning gunk off before lubing,all one step. Trying to get away from all the gooey stuff I have to clean that accumulates around my chain when using more bulky lubes that trap grit... That said,a new chain is the best $100 bucks you can spend when it starts to buck or make noise,saves your sprocket teeth from deforming.

Last edited by jaaklucas; 06-26-2019 at 11:45 AM.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Unread 06-26-2019, 06:42 PM

I'm trying to find Dupont Teflon Lubricants DCS024101 in Canada, I cannot find it ?!?

Versys 2015 Green
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Unread 06-27-2019, 06:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
I'm trying to find Dupont Teflon Lubricants DCS024101 in Canada, I cannot find it ?!?

Check at Loews. I found Dupont Chain Wax there- but I've switched to 90W gear oil as the wax tends to accumulate and the chain looks dry. I actually had some rust on the chain that I recently replaced.

Observations on life and motorcycling, short stories and photos, with no annoying political or religious rhetoric
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Unread 06-27-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
So Im using "Dupont Multi-use Lubricant with Teflon" which I got at Lowes. In Can Tire I noticed several variations by other companies.I think I saw WD-40 with Teflon as well.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Unread 06-28-2019, 03:22 AM

This thread taught me that I need to clean my chain better and then find a good lube for it.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Unread 07-01-2019, 12:11 PM

I could be wrong but I believe WD 40 stands for water displacement formula 40. It was developed to protect the Atlas missile. I got this off of the internet and according to Thomas Jefferson, everything you see on the internet is true.
16VGTIDave likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in