Good deal at CycleGear.com! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Good deal at CycleGear.com!

Hey guys.....I was just shopping for a new bike jacket and helmet, and came across this deal at cyclegear.com.
Buy the Waterproof Explorer Jacket for 399 and they'll throw in a pair of matching pants, gloves and adv style Explorer helmet!
Seems like a good deal to me...

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...ket/web1011534
Does anyone have any experience with this "value" brand?
Cheers all
BiGo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 08:08 AM

I've got Bilt boots and gloves. The boots are a great value - fit well, stay dry, comfy enough. The gloves are OK. I have two pair - the cold weather set is really bulky and the liners pull out really easily when I take them off. The warm-weather pair works fine.

Bottom line, this stuff is from a "value" brand. It's pretty decent, but you won't confuse it for actually good gear. Functional, but misses the details. Still, for the price, you sure get a lot.

Cheers, Jeff
--------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

2010 Versys
SW-Motech crash bars & bash plate
SW-Motech quick lock rear rack
Two seahorse 720 cases / panniers
Givi wind screen
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOleChalupa View Post
Hey guys.....I was just shopping for a new bike jacket and helmet, and came across this deal at cyclegear.com.
Buy the Waterproof Explorer Jacket for 399 and they'll throw in a pair of matching pants, gloves and adv style Explorer helmet!

Cheers all
BiGo
I took that deal, purchased the Explorer Air jacket and pants. I already had the helmet with the internal visor, so I got the one without the visor. My glasses fit well in the helmet without the visor, so that is my dirt helmet when I ride my CRF250L. The other helmet is my street helmet. I like the fit of both of them. The clear visor seals very well.

The only nit I have to pick on the jacket and pants, is that the velcro on the sleeves and pant cuffs is too short to adjust for a good fit. I plan on taking them to the alteration shop at Nellis AFB, and have the ladies replace the velcro with longer strips.

I'm happy with the deal, and the gear. Even some of the gear snobs on ADV are saying decent things about it. For the price, it's good stuff.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.

Last edited by G19Tony; 02-03-2013 at 09:29 AM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 11:31 AM

Got me some Bilt boots an gloves for Christmas

and I gotta say, I love 'em. This was my first step up from Doc Martens and work gloves. The 20 somethings at my job all sport the big name stuff (I remember being 20 and having money and yes they're better. I live in Florida, so I've been riding every day since Christmas and nothing is falling apart yet except for some rubber mesh on the left glove which I expected.
Stuff says "Made in Pakistan" on it. If I had the coin right now I'd be taking that offer.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I've been using stuff (leather, textile, mesh, rain) from Cycle Gear for quite awhile, from "Frank Thomas" thru "Bilt", tho' not a helmet yet. VERY satisfied with it, and IT and I survived a 15 to 20 mph low-side a few years ago with a bit of 'wearing-thru' of mesh on my leg and transfer of color (black) from the road into my F-T mesh jacket, which is STILL in use when it's warmer!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback guys. I just thought hmmmm.. buy a jacket and get pants gloves boots and a helmet free?? This sounds too good to be true!
I think I might go ahead and get it.
Hey Tony, how do you like that Explorer helmet? In regards to wind noise, etc?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 12:51 PM

There's a bunch of feedback on it here.

Cheers, Jeff
--------------------------------

|
|

2010 Versys
SW-Motech crash bars & bash plate
SW-Motech quick lock rear rack
Two seahorse 720 cases / panniers
Givi wind screen
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
This is a subject that is dear to my heart. I've gone through 6 jackets now trying to find the perfect one. In reality though I don't think there is really such a thing as a perfect jacket for all conditions. I currently use two jackets. Heavily perforated leather for hot summer days and a 3/4 length textile adv. touring jacket for most of the rest of the time (80% of the time). I could probably get away with just the 3/4 length, four season jacket in the local climate. It is a little hot, but bearable on 30C days in heavy city stop and go traffic. You need to be moving to force air through it's vents. IMO for a temperate coastal climate like Halifax where riding below 20C is most common and riding in temps above 30C is unusual, nothing beats a good 3/4 length four season style textile jacket for general use IMO.

In my experience, don't be afraid to spend some money upfront ($~400CDN) on a adv. tour good jacket if you can afford it. It will last indefinitely, be more protective and comfortable and you'll be more satisfied with it and use it more in the long run. Problem is I've found most cheap textile jackets make sacrifices in construction (lack of venting, abrasion resistance and seam burst resistance and durability). Also cheaper jackets use polyester fill (thicker, less insulating) instead of Thinsulate in the liner, cheaper quality zippers that jam and are less water proof. Rev'It Sand jacket is currently on clearance most places. Check out Revzilla.com and avoid anything made out of polyester. Polyester only has a fraction of the abrasion resistance of say Cordura when comparing similar deniers (fabric weights/thread thickness).

Olympia AST (what I have) is fantastic (for the price point) jacket as is the Rev'It Sand. The Olympia has a built in wind/rain liner so there is no liner to lug around or put it when it rains or cools off. Just close the vents. I use my jacket as a regular (not riding) winter jacket too with the armor removed. Venting with full sleeve vents and chest vents that pin open is good enough for hottest local weather (as long as you are moving to force air in the vents, and not sitting at a traffic light) but jacket is warm enough with layers for coldest conditions as well. Mesh is better in really hot weather but even with liners is a cool in colder weather and the abrasion resistance of mesh sucks. Leather jackets have great abrasion resistance but fit too tight to layer under. 3/4 length is better than waist length for layering under because of adjustable fit with belt at waist, hip fit zippers and cinch straps on sleeves. It is also better in the rain and cooler weather with no perceptible draw backs in hot weather.

IMO can't go wrong with Klim, higher end Rev'It stuff or Olympia - they are all much better quality and better designed than AlpineStars, Bilt, Shift, Speed&Strength, Joe Rocket, Tourmaster, & FirstGear stuff.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-sand-jacket
http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/olym...-2-jacket.html

Last edited by twowheels; 02-05-2013 at 04:34 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys. I just thought hmmmm.. buy a jacket and get pants gloves boots and a helmet free?? This sounds too good to be true!
I think I might go ahead and get it.
Hey Tony, how do you like that Explorer helmet? In regards to wind noise, etc?
Yea, I like both of the Bilt helmets I have. They are no louder than anything else.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff S View Post
There's a bunch of feedback on it here.
That's my thread!

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 09:50 PM

ditto on twowheels statement, although this is a great deal... i would advise to save up more and get the Rev'it! sand jacket. My concern would be, once you buy that set you will quickly realize that it is really useful and works well, but not nearly as well as something like the Rev'it! sand would.

I got the sand jacket and pants and they have been flawless for the last 3 yrs, can't really complain about anything.

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Cheers all
BiGo
I didn't read all the replys so I apologize if this has already been said.

When buying gear that is advertized as waterproof, the first thing you should do before you remove any of the tags off the garment is put it on and step into the shower and make sure you spend 15 minutes in there with the water spraying all over the gear to make sure it is waterproof.

I have not found any gear that is truly waterproof and the reviews on gear that even cost $1000 will still show some people who have had leaks.

IMO, nothing beats a goretex (or similar waterproof/breathable) rain jacket and pants to keep you dry.

I just picked up a Motoport rain jacket in High Viz and it works great so far.

My Versys Travels:

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
My FirstGear Kilimanjaro jackets (3/4 length) are advertised as waterproof. IF I'm on a long trip I ALWAYS have rain-gear in my pack, which goes ON if it starts raining (as opposed to a little sprinkle), but I don't worry on a local ride if it starts "spitting". That's WHY I have them.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
ditto on twowheels statement, although this is a great deal... i would advise to save up more and get the Rev'it! sand jacket. My concern would be, once you buy that set you will quickly realize that it is really useful and works well, but not nearly as well as something like the Rev'it! sand would.

I got the sand jacket and pants and they have been flawless for the last 3 yrs, can't really complain about anything.
Thanks .............I'll look into the Rev' it stuff too
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

sand

Damn............look at the Rev'it Sand 2, new for 2013....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg revit-sand-2-jacket-chest.jpg (87.7 KB, 157 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode