Removing knee armor! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
MTS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Removing knee armor!

I love my First Gear over pants but I had to remove the knee armor! It just started to bug my knees. My hockey shin pads are more comfortable. LOL

I'm going to replace them with something just not sure what?

Anybody else have to make adustments to your gear?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Check inside the lower legs - some pants will have several sets of velcro tabs so you can customize the fit of the armor.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 01:26 AM

I have problems with my First Gear armor, too- I've tried it in every possible position, but any ride more than an hour it starts to hurt. I'm thinking of trying some D30 knee pads. They're thinner and more flexible, but harden on impact.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 05:46 AM

I customized my Jackets and Leather's with chopped up Dainese pressure suits and have put Dainese back plates in my main 3 jackets. A needle and cotton has held it in place for a few years so far.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
MTS

Thanks Eddie I did see that!

Versystole I like the D30 stuff and have started to research different materials. Thanks for the info!

Crow you got me thinking and I am going to customize some of my gear also! Part of it is I'm pretty large. Protection yet comfort! It is possible!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 09:35 AM

Garage
I use something like this (but not those in particular)

They are always at the right place, not the case when attached to the pants I wear when i'm riding

LOP
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
I love my First Gear over pants but I had to remove the knee armor! It just started to bug my knees. My hockey shin pads are more comfortable. LOL

I'm going to replace them with something just not sure what?

Anybody else have to make adustments to your gear?
I have a pair of Icon Knee Shin guards which are basically hockey shin pads with built in straps. I would not ride without armor though. I've only crashed and slid once but the armor saved me from damage after the textile wore through. It also did it's job by cushioning the original impact with the road.

IMO the CE designation on armor is worthless. It just means a snippet of the pad passed an impact absorption test. It does not tell you how well the pads fit or stay in place. Rev'It sell a Sas Tec armor upgrade for their gear, might be worth investigating. The D30 armor I've seen is just flat sheets of gel type material. It does not seem as protective as some of the form fitted armor I've seen. I would also expect it's less likely to stay in place in a crash as it is a flat flexible sheet.

Last edited by twowheels; 01-31-2013 at 12:32 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
The D30 armor I've seen is just flat sheets of gel type material. It does not seem as protective as some of the form fitted armor I've seen. I would also expect it's less likely to stay in place in a crash as it is a flat flexible sheet.

The beauty of D30 is that the pad IS soft and flexible, and then hardens under impact. I don't understand the science... it has something to do with the molecular structure... but it is supposed to give superior comfort AND protection in one package. I have it in my FG Rainier jacket, and I can speak to the comfort. I've hit a pad with a hammer while wearing the jacket, and it IS effective.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
MTS

I have played hockey my whole life and strap on pads and CE armor in pants and jackets and or removable inserts are two different thing.

Strap on pads are awesome protection!

Did you guys see the thread of the guy who slide on his knees for 100 ft and I think he said they were hockey pads. Not as good or expensive as the ones for asphalt but held up well.

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode