Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

2Likes
  • 1 Post By twowheels
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Heated Grips Install

I recently installed a set of Oxford Heated Grips (Adventure Model).

Installation was a snap and took no time. Quality is excellent as is function and high heat output but ....

The right side grip gets hotter than the left grip. I suspect this is not due to the brand or model but because the right grip is insulated from the metal bars by a plastic throttle tube it mounts on, while the left grip gives up its heat to the thermally conductive and cold handlebars.

Just wondering if anyone else has this issue and how they dealt with it.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-27-2019 at 05:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Relay and socket are not much more than a $1 on eBay or are almost always available at auto parts stores for a little more. They will turn the heated grips off with the ignition so a forgetful user does not risk running down the battery by leaving the heated grips on with the key removed.

Pin 30 to 12v POS battery terminal
Pin 85 to Common Gnd
Pin 86 to POS terminal of low beam headlight which is only on when the engine runs (trigger source)
Pin 87a not used and insulated
Pin 87 to heated grips positive terminal
Common Gnd/Battery Gnd to heated grips negative terminal
KawaDMP likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-24-2019 at 07:25 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 08:25 PM

Garage
I think the throttle grip getting hotter is pretty common. My BMW came with heated grips from the factory and it's pretty noticeable.
I put the stick on (under regular grips) grip heaters on my KLR and it drove me crazy until I wired up separate PWM controllers I made from some cheap LED strip light dimmers.
I have Bike Master heated grips on my Versys and there is a pretty thick plastic tube in the clutch side grip which helps a lot with keeping the temp pretty even. This came at the cost of having to pound the grip on with a rubber mallet and a large socket. I will probably never get it off if I need to replace the handlebars. I'm a little surprised that the Oxfords don't have a similar plastic tube in the left grip.

Rick

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

I have KOSO Apollo heated grips on BOTH my V650s - they warm-up EQUALLY when ON. I can't recall IF they had a plastic tube on the left side, but I DON'T think so.
weljo2001 likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode