Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

3Likes
  • 2 Post By twowheels
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Is Gore-Tex Worth It? Waterproof Comparison Test

I would add to this my own experience with a Goretex jacket and boots. It really does keep you warmer in the cold and cooler in the heat, compared to an unbreathable laminate, by preventing a buildup of dampness near the skin and allowing evaporation to occur.

onewizard and quexpress like this.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-08-2019 at 09:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:47 AM

Garage
As a former backpacker, I swear by Gore-Tex. Worth every penny! Plus, Gore-Tex garments have to pass Gore-Tex testing to be certified.

I have had to cut riding days short because my fellow riders were not prepared for the summer weather in New England. Rain and in the 50s across VT, NH, and Maine until we hit Acadia National Park.

We had to get a hotel room in Augusta to dry gear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014 05 27 002 White Mountains of NH.jpg (131.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 2014 05 28 001a The Maine Coast.jpg (128.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 2014 05 27 0001 White Mountains of NH.jpg (117.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 2014 05 28 100 Bar Harbor from Cadillac Mountain.jpg (154.7 KB, 13 views)
onewizard likes this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
As a former backpacker, I swear by Gore-Tex. Worth every penny! Plus, Gore-Tex garments have to pass Gore-Tex testing to be certified.

I have had to cut riding days short because my fellow riders were not prepared for the summer weather in New England. Rain and in the 50s across VT, NH, and Maine until we hit Acadia National Park.

I have a very old Sierra Designs Gore-Tex jacket, I use winter and summer, zippers under the arm pits , hood, Velcro everywhere and a zipper storm flap . Last yer I purchased a KLIM gore-tex jacket, huge difference.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM

Another great invention and use for teflon which is one of mankinds greatest concoctions. Used for so many things. Mr. Gore heated teflon to a specific temperature and expanded it,creating an elastic material that became its most famous product,Gore Tex.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

On my 'long' rides I wear a "waterproof" Kilimanjaro jacket, plus similar pants, AND I carry rain-gear (including waterproof gloves for use for working w/ sewage, big enough to wear another pair of gloves underneath), and IF it looks like MORE than just a shower - I stop and put the rain-gear on over top, so I DON'T have to worry about HOW I'll dry my gear later in camp. I carry the rain-gear in a back-pack so it's easy to get to....

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
On my 'long' rides I wear a "waterproof" Kilimanjaro jacket, plus similar pants, AND I carry rain-gear (including waterproof gloves for use for working w/ sewage, big enough to wear another pair of gloves underneath), and IF it looks like MORE than just a shower - I stop and put the rain-gear on over top, so I DON'T have to worry about HOW I'll dry my gear later in camp. I carry the rain-gear in a back-pack so it's easy to get to....

-
You need to tell my riding buddies that.

I hate having to put the tent away wet, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Fortunately on that trip I only had to put it away wet one time.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in