4Likes
  • 1 Post By Devilsfan
  • 1 Post By Craigar
  • 1 Post By cjcintucson
  • 1 Post By 2018versys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Fly Racing Brawler Gloves / Alpine Star

***Moderators...you should probably move this to the "Rider's Gear" section. (My bad!)

Since I'm a relative cheapskate when it comes to gear/clothing my Kawasaki dealer sold me on a pair of, what I call expensive ($70), Fly Racing Brawler gloves. I currently have a few pairs but they're getting worn out. Problem I have is that the mediums fit great...until I'm riding. Then they tend to pull down on my finger tips and make my hands go numb. Then I have a pair of large that have a little too much play where I wind up hitting my horn instead of my turn signal button.

I went large on these as the mediums were a little tight. Rode about 100 miles on them and my takes are:
1) Really nice gloves, fit well
2) Kevlar-sewn
3) Plenty of armor
4) Thick pads on the "hypothenal eminence", or the outer edge of the palm running down the pinky finger.

Problem so far is that even the large, which I have some play in the fingers PRIOR to twisting the throttle, tend to pull down on my finger tips again! But where my hands would normally go numb on the H.E. the thick padding has cured that! I'll have to figure something out with this, maybe some kind of liners.

I also rode over to CycleGear as I was looking at some close-out overpants. The Bilt brand were decent at $70 but they only had 36's, and there's no straps to tighten. So after trying on a few different brands I went with some Alpine Stars Airflow overpants. Mind you, I've NEVER worn overpants except for a pair of snow pants that I bought for cheap off of Amazon in these cold, Florida riding days!
I tried on 4 different pairs of overpants and every one of them were impossible to get my boots through. Their inner lining would snag on the sole of my boots to where they were, literally, impossible to get my foot through.
With these Air Flow's they zip up from the rear of the ankle and wrap around all the way to the crotch! Easy in, easy out! ($140) They don't have much armor but I can replace the knees with CE stuff. But they feel pretty durable and not too hot for the summer time. We'll see how they hold up.
My major concern...I'm going to be sliding a lot on the seat so I may look for some sticky iron-on type patches to place on the butt area to prevent the sliding.

HoosierFordMan likes this.

Last edited by Devilsfan; 02-18-2019 at 06:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 08:04 AM

Garage
Nice gloves! I will have to take a look at those. As I have similar issues which you described.
Devilsfan likes this.

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 01:31 PM

With regard to the finger tips pushing down on your fingers. 1) Those look to be leather, so after about 10 rides (especially if you sweat in them) they should fit better. 2) Sounds crazy, but I found that if I leave my fingernails a little longer leading up to a ride, the tips of the gloves do not bother me as much.
Devilsfan likes this.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
With regard to the finger tips pushing down on your fingers. 1) Those look to be leather, so after about 10 rides (especially if you sweat in them) they should fit better. 2) Sounds crazy, but I found that if I leave my fingernails a little longer leading up to a ride, the tips of the gloves do not bother me as much.

You're probably right about the finger nails...but I'm so anal about keeping my nails cut short I couldn't take having anything longer than a little white!!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 05:15 PM

took me quite a while to get used to them. I ended up jamming a flashlight in the fingers that bugged me to stretch it out.
all good now.

old post but so am i.
Devilsfan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode