Getting old sucks... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Getting old sucks...

At 47, glasses are quickly becoming a necessity for me. I'm not blind or anything dramatic, but those road signs need to be a lot closer than before to read.

So, I'm looking around at safety style glasses. Something that fits my ginormous head and wraps around a bit too accommodate my extra peripheral vision.

Kind of thinking Wiley X Echo or Titan frames, since they have the eye gasket thingy going on, and they are safety rated (hay trucks on the road, dirty pallets at work), but I have no real experience with such things.

What do all you myopic or presbyopic riders do for road goggles?

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 01:10 PM

I decided to get prescription sport-type transition glasses ,theyre big for peripheral and combined with my helmut face shield sun visor work with well with dead on sun glare. Thing is big also means a little tight inside a wrap-around helmut. I also got prescription transition goggles for riding with my regular face shield-less helmut or for riding my E-bike. These work great for riding without a face-shield. In retrospect, I should have went bigger with the goggles,like the Bobster. Im used to them now but they are a little bit tunnel vision but it has taught me to turn my head both ways twice checking for cars. I think I got them from Sport-X.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prescription eyewear.jpg (58.4 KB, 26 views)
quexpress and 52Degrees like this.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 02:03 PM

I had a pair of prescription inserts from sportrx.com to use in MX and snow goggles, but they did alter depth perception noticeably (this may be due to my needing high power correction -5.75R:-5.25L). After further prescription changes I decided contacts were the way to go for me since the SportRx package was not cheap. They were very high quality and offer a wide range of products if you have not checked them out, not all their products require an insert like I chose.

Have you tired riding in your glasses at all? I have recently had good luck with this on shorter trips.

I did make sure to try my glasses on in a helmet when buying a new one, Shoei RF-SR, the glasses have fat arms but fit quite well in it! This makes for a great backup if I happen to loose a contact midday, or for shorter rides when I dont want to burn a $2 set of contacts.

Its not just you old guys I am 30 and have needed correction since the 3rd grade.... so I am jealous of your many correction free years
52Degrees likes this.

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Been on glasses since age 13 , and all the years of riding, the plastic frames are the best compare to metal frames. With the helmet, metal frames are a pain and since i switch to simple plastics frames, no problem with Helmet and it doesn't press on Nose bridge when you wear helmet.
52Degrees likes this.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Had to go back to the Oakley glasses I tried on to get the frame size I need. Not to buy them, mind you... Oakley has a contractual thing with their vendors that requires that they alone make the lenses, so the price is astronomical.

Found the Wiley X Boss is likely the frame I need. My insurance should be able to order the frames for me, since they are already a vendor.

What a pain in the neck this whole thing is turning out to be. I don't envy those of you who have always needed glasses.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
Had to go back to the Oakley glasses I tried on to get the frame size I need. Not to buy them, mind you... Oakley has a contractual thing with their vendors that requires that they alone make the lenses, so the price is astronomical.

Found the Wiley X Boss is likely the frame I need. My insurance should be able to order the frames for me, since they are already a vendor.

What a pain in the neck this whole thing is turning out to be. I don't envy those of you who have always needed glasses.
Why not laser treatment and you will not need glass
52Degrees likes this.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Because my eyes are still changing.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Because my eyes are still changing.
And its a one time deal, current technology means you get one shot, and any vision changes later mean you get to buy glasses again. For the price its not something that makes a lot of sense to me, maybe some peoples eyes are stable for decades but I have had different periods of stability and changes to where I dont hope for it like I used to
52Degrees likes this.

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
At 47, glasses are quickly becoming a necessity for me. I'm not blind or anything dramatic, but those road signs need to be a lot closer than before to read.

So, I'm looking around at safety style glasses. Something that fits my ginormous head and wraps around a bit too accommodate my extra peripheral vision.

Kind of thinking Wiley X Echo or Titan frames, since they have the eye gasket thingy going on, and they are safety rated (hay trucks on the road, dirty pallets at work), but I have no real experience with such things.

What do all you myopic or presbyopic riders do for road goggles?
"Old" Ha!

It only gets worse with age. I'm 66 but my odometer has rolled over at least 3 times.

Lots of hard miles on this old carcus. Just saw the back surgeon a couple of days ago. Looks like back surgery in March.

But I can still ride!

Good luck with your spectacles.
52Degrees likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltaddict33 View Post
And its a one time deal, current technology means you get one shot, and any vision changes later mean you get to buy glasses again.
That's not what I heard from the doctor that carried out my laser eyesight correction. I mean yeah, if your vision deteriorates, you'll need correction again, either with glasses or surgery, so you want your eyesight to be stable before you start, but if it does go bad, you *can* get lasered again.

The place I went to had a "warranty", you'd get re-lasered if your vision is sub par within a year after the first operation. Luckily, mine has been fine for the last 5 years or so.

2015 Versys 650
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 10:21 AM

My vision was 20/10 in college. That was many moons ago! Now I am about 20/40 for distance. I have used reading glasses since around age 45, especially at night. As an airline pilot I have been on a lifelong quest for the perfect sunglasses, perfect reading glasses, and the perfect distance glasses.

So here's what I can tell you. The flatter across the front the two lenses are in the frame the less distortion there will be. Wrap-around style frames hold the lenses at an angle to each other, and there will be a weird annoying (and tiring) spatial distortion. Your eyes won't know where to point to see the same object at the same moment. After a while you will learn to accommodate somewhat. For me, flying and riding need good spatial awareness which such glasses work against.

Sunglasses which wrap around do a great job of blocking stray light from the sides, which is important especially as we age and can't deal with glare as well as we used to. But prescription wrap arounds just have too many downsides. An alternate is a very wide plastic temple to block the light but the lenses fairly planar. Picture old fashioned Ray Bans with the fake tortoise shell frames like Cary Grant wore, not wire frames.

The ideal Rx sunglasses would be old fashioned glacier glasses with the leather sun shield on the sides but the lenses planar to each other. Alas nobody seems to make those any more.

My prescription sunglasses are Ray-Ban Daddy-O RB2016, which are very slightly curved frames with wide temples, a bit of a compromise mix. They block peripheral light very well but do have a slight curve. The reading segment due to the curve is slightly bothersome but I adjusted to the distance segment very quickly. For me, these are the limit of non-planar lens alignment that I would suggest. They do block the peripheral a bit, but that's the tradeoff to block glare. You just can't get Rx lenses curving around the sides which don't have monstrous spatial distortion. https://www.amazon.com/Ray-Ban-Daddy.../dp/B07CBLVKNK

Fitment into your helmet will depend on your helmet as much as it does on the glasses.

For clear lenses you don't need to worry about peripheral light leaking in, so just go with flat front frames.

My current helmet, Shoei, has a built in sun visor which I've used a few times and really like. I can wear clear Rx glasses underneath. This reduces the number of pairs of glasses I need to carry, since I prefer to wear non-Rx sunglasses when possible. Walking with bifocals is sometimes comedic (stairs). My drivers license does not require I wear glasses, and I prefer to wear non-Rx sunglasses for much of my riding. If my FAA medical didn't require it, I'd wear non-Rx sunglasses in the cockpit much of the time. I just haven't found the right frames which hold the lenses flat while blocking the peripheral glare.

Be sure to go to a very good optometrist, not a cheap-n-fast store. Yes it costs more, but it is worth it when you need glasses for riding, flying, shooting, etc. The lenses need to be spec'd for your application and they need to set them in the frames precisely to allow proper spatial vision. Don't get polarized lenses until you find out if you can see the instrument screens on your bike and car. Those LCD screens sometimes black out for polarized lenses.

I've not tried the wrap around style sunglass frames with a clear Rx lens insert. I know several people who use them for shooting and like them, but they are not cheap.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I put on my glasses from 2 years ago last night, and they actually made my vision worse. That said, I never thought they were right anyway.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:27 AM

Garage
I've been wearing glasses for close to 50 years. Glass frames and motorcycle helmets don't always work well together. Wrap around frames are nice, but any frame that has bowed temples are going to be hard to put on once you have the helmet on. If the temples are flexible, even harder. For sunglasses on my motorcycle, i prefer a slightly larger frame than I usually wear, with temples that go straight back and end just after the back of the ear.

I'm contemplating getting a cheap pair of frames from Zenni.com to try out this summer. I'm pretty sure I can get something for under $100, with high index and progressive lenses. Iif they get abused, I'm not out a lot of $$.
52Degrees likes this.

'09 Versys
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...What do all you myopic or presbyopic riders do for road goggles?
My glasses are "transition" lenses (so they 'darken' as necessary), and I wear MODULAR helmets so I don't need to put my glasses on after my helmet.

VERY occasionally I wear a NON-modular full-face, but it's a PITA to get the glasses correctly on.

Quote:
...Its not just you old guys - I am 30 and have needed correction since the 3rd grade.... so I am jealous of your many correction free years
I started wearing glasses for reading (45 years old) when it became harder to read 'approach-charts' after dark, so they ONLY had the 'blended bi-focal' correction. And EVENTUALLY I added other corrections to them.

I'm lucky - my vision STILL corrects to 20-15, so BETTER than 'average'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Why not laser treatment and you will not need glass
My wife had her eyes 'lasered' 15 or 20 years back, w/ the result that she can't drive after dark - she gets "haloing" around all lights, so she can't tell if a vehicle approaching is in its CORRECT lane, or coming HEAD-ON in her lane. Other than that she's happy, as her vision is so much better than it had been!
52Degrees likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:56 AM

For years I just used weaker reading glasses for correction as my eyes are just getting old, both eyes are the same. Where I crossed the line was riding and needing sunglasses so I went prescription transition. For me it works well in conjunction with my helmut sun visor when riding directly into the sun. And having prescription transition googles for bare face riding is beautiful , goggles save your eyes from so much abuse! I would have preferred a weaker correction for driving but RX wont do that,they only do your prescription for liability purposes I presume. But on a bike, vision is everything. Took a bit of getting used to but worth it to see so crisply. A few of my friends have gotten laser done for us older people type eye correction. They do this thing called mono-vision, one eye is set for distance and the other is done for reading and they blend together in mono as opposed to our usual stereo vision. Sounds weird but I may look into it in the future!
Fastoman and 52Degrees like this.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 01:26 PM

Garage
Quote:

Since I was 2 years old. Far sighted with astigmatisms. All of my depth perception is learned. I don't even want to think how much I have spent on glasses, contacts, and Eye doctor visits over the years.
52Degrees likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 07:10 AM

When riding with my 66 year old eyes in the daytime I generally wear wrap around, tinted, safety sunglasses with cheaters cut into them on the bottom. Not quite perfect for distance seeing but close enough. And I like the extra safety factor.
52Degrees likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
....I decided contacts were the way to go ....
55 and been wearing glasses or contacts (very nearsighted) since 15. Riding for about 20 years so it's always been with corrective lenses.

Contacts are my preferred solution. No issues with peripheral vision, no problem stuffing them into a helmet, generally cheaper than specialty frames (I do keep regular glasses as backups), and I can wear any cheap sunglasses I want.

I've had good luck with two approaches:
- Single vision contacts that allow me to see distance ... but then I can't read the instruments. And need readers to see the menu or computer screen.
- Multi-focal contacts - a compromise that are OK for distance (have to be closer to read signs), but do everything else well. It took 4 tries to get these right.

Cooper Vision Biofinity multi-focal: https://coopervision.com/contact-len...ity-multifocal

Good luck!
52Degrees likes this.

Last edited by Oldandslow; 01-13-2019 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Added details
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 08:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldandslow View Post
55 and been wearing glasses or contacts (very nearsighted) since 15. Riding for about 20 years so it's always been with corrective lenses.

Contacts are my preferred solution. No issues with peripheral vision, no problem stuffing them into a helmet, generally cheaper than specialty frames (I do keep regular glasses as backups), and I can wear any cheap sunglasses I want.

I've had good luck with two approaches:
- Single vision contacts that allow me to see distance ... but then I can't read the instruments. And need readers to see the menu or computer screen.
- Multi-focal contacts - a compromise that are OK for distance (have to be closer to read signs), but do everything else well. It took 4 tries to get these right.

Cooper Vision Biofinity multi-focal: https://coopervision.com/contact-len...ity-multifocal

Good luck!
My downside with contact lenses is that my eyes got used to me putting something in them and they didn't seem to react quick enough to foreign debris that wanted to find its way into my eyes.

When I was 19 I had to pay 2 1/2 weeks pay for a pair of contact lenses and had to make them work for as many years as I possibly could. They had to be removed every night and had to be enzyme cleaned to keep them clear. It was a pain in the ass, but my quality of life and attractiveness to women was much better. Now I don't give a chit and wear plastic frames for comfort since I need progressive lenses with +8 strength. When I take my glasses off every woman looks 20 again.

My Versys Travels:

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 09:03 AM

Garage
Getting older doesn't suck! Some of my dearest friends are those who are in there 60's and 70's. Because they are both funny and witty. They also keep life in perspective. Not too mention, they can also ride motorcycles like nobody's business. The hardest part is while golfing. They can see the ball when I hit it. But when asked where it landed. They can't remember! Lol

Wearing corrective lenses I guess would be a pain. Fortunately, I am only regulated to wearing readers at 52. But there are far worse things to deal with in life. Hell, I hate having to shave everyday. Sometimes twice, when I am traveling and engaging in meetings. Finding the right optical solution would be the least of my worries. Everyone will be convinced you are smart. When you take your helmet off and pose next to one of the best motorcycles on the market!
Buffalo_Bob and 52Degrees like this.

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in