• 1 Post By Fastoman
  • 1 Post By mrvwbug
  • 2 Post By Devilsfan
  • 3 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Bought some gear today...

Made the trip to Cycle Gear today, for a pair of riding pants for the cool season.

Brought my wife so I wouldn't go too cheap or too expensive. Lol.

Guys, take your wives motogear shopping. If it hadn't been for her telling me just exactly how well those Street and Steel Oakland jeans fit (something about being able to tell I was raised under some form of Judaic or subsequent religion), I would be wearing them right now. Super comfy, but super form-fitting as well.

Ended up with a pair of Bilt waterproof overpants. We'll see how they hold up.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 10:53 PM

Garage
I've found the best pants are the ones that are four season. That is they are vented for summer but work in cold weather as well. It's nice to have a pair that you can throw on over shorts.

For the money and hot weather it is hard to beat Brosh cargo style pants made in Israel. They ship to the US for about $99. They are not good cold weather pants though.

For more protection and about $160 Klim Outrider pants are hard to beat. These are not very air permeable which makes them good in mid to cool weather, but not good in the heat, but you will need an under layer when it gets really cold. Virtually every online retailer has picked these as a favourite.

If you want something to throw over sweat pants in cold weather or shorts in the summer there are lots and lots of options, just make sure they are vented and come with a wind proof liner for all season versatility. Olympia are a great choice in this category but there are many other.
52Degrees likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 10-26-2018 at 10:57 PM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
Made the trip to Cycle Gear today, for a pair of riding pants for the cool season.

Brought my wife so I wouldn't go too cheap or too expensive. Lol.
I took my wife to cycle gear several years ago looking for a jacket. She is a pretty good seamstress and looked at their stuff with a critical eye.

She showed me all the flaws in the construct of several jackets then said, "Guess this place is the Harbor Freight of cycle stuff."

Think the sales guy was wondering why I was laughing so hard as we left the store.
onewizard, Devilsfan and 52Degrees like this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:

Guys, take your wives motogear shopping.
That's exactly why I DON'T have a wife anymore!!!

Quote:
Ended up with a pair of Bilt waterproof overpants. We'll see how they hold up.
I have a Bilt waterproof jacket. Although it's semi-faded (hi-viz in Florida sun) the jacket is really nice. I've been through a downpour in it a few times and I get a little water in the elbow area. That's about it. But overall, for way less $$$ than most brands...I'd buy another, no doubt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
I took my wife to cycle gear several years ago looking for a jacket. She is a pretty good seamstress and looked at their stuff with a critical eye.

She showed me all the flaws in the construct of several jackets then said, "Guess this place is the Harbor Freight of cycle stuff."

Think the sales guy was wondering why I was laughing so hard as we left the store.
This maybe true but, in my years of riding, I've found that sometimes the cheapest product is just as worthy. As I wrote above, I like my $120 Bilt waterproof jacket a lot! Or I could have gotten a Klim for 4 times that which does the same thing. Sure, my jackets gets wet elbows but paper towels are cheap! Also, as stated before, the most comfortable helmet I've ever owned is my Bilt 3/4 helmet that cost me $50 brand new! LOVE that thing!!!

And for the record, I'm a Crafstman tools guy...but I find myself at Harbor Freight a lot!

Bottom line, ya get what you pay for...MOST OF THE TIME! After 3 different types of waterproof jackets I find that the best one, overall, is - my $60 Nelson Rigg jacket and pants! Also, last Christmas I bought a pair of $60 Bass Pro hiking high-top, waterproof boots. LOVE THEM!!! Super comfortable and road in a few downpours since. Not a drop of water gets through!

I will pull out the wallet for something expensive if, and only if, I REALLY like it. But I find that when it comes to motorcycle gear to just get what feels good to YOU! Performance of product may vary and if you only need something for a month (like a cold-weather jacket in Florida) I generally just layer up as opposed to getting a super expensive, heated jacket that I'm only going to use for a few rides a year.

***In regards to the OP, I bought a pair of snowboarding pants on Amazon for $45 last year. I had to sew in some elastic around the pant cuff but man, are those things warm!!! They claim to be waterproof but I'm not quite sure about that. Generally in Florida if it's below 50 degrees it won't be raining anyway.
52Degrees likes this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
My point about taking wives has more to do with avoiding the accidental visible genital impressions than any real problem solving.

onewizard, Fastoman and Devilsfan like this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
I have a Bilt waterproof jacket. I'd buy another, no doubt!

And for the record, I'm a Crafstman tools guy...but I find myself at Harbor Freight a lot!
I have a well worn pair of Bilt leather pants and love them. Got them on sale for $119 around 7 years and 30,000 miles ago. When they quit I will get another pair.

My tool box has mostly Craftsman tools in it. Sadly their quality has gone down hill compared to the good o'l days. I also have quite a few Harbor Freight tools as well. Their Large and impact sockets are hard to beat.

Although I often shop at Cycle Gear, I still refer to them as "Harbor Freight." Guess my wife's comment stuck.
Devilsfan and 52Degrees like this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.

Last edited by hawkerjet; 10-27-2018 at 09:30 AM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

I use BOTH Cycle Gear and H-F, altho' I tend to look pretty closely at what I'm planning to get, BEFORE I buy, and I have MUCH BiLT and FRANK THOMAS riding gear, as well as Kilimanjaro, BELL, etc....

I WILL endorse the H-F line of torque-wrenches (as per the "Car Craft Magazine" endorsement) tho', and FIVE of my EIGHT torque-wrenches between the USA and Canada are from them.

The other three? Two are Snap-On, one is MasterCraft.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
... altho' I tend to look pretty closely at what I'm planning to get, BEFORE I buy, ...

That's the key. Do your research PRIOR to buying! At the same time, researching ahead of time can "lead you" to something you never thought of or knew about - that may become just what you were looking for.
Also, be careful of the "Reviews". They can give you a general idea but I find a lot of reviews are 50/50.
52Degrees likes this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
With my size, I'm pretty fortunate to find something that just fits.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
With my size, I'm pretty fortunate to find something that just fits.

Not sure if you're a big guy or little but this can work both ways.

For example, a few months ago I came across an Icon mesh jacket. Never bought anything Icon before but I'm looking at this jacket. It has all the armor, it's mesh, looks awesome with the different colors...and has NO lining!!! EXACTLY what I wanted for the Florida summers!!!!

Then I tried on the medium. Had to struggle to get my arms in it. Went with the large. A little better but the collar comes up under my chin, and I hate that!!! Got home, did some research and still LOVE that jacket! It's the ONLY ONE of any brand that I could find that has the characteristics of what I'm looking for.

Went back a few weeks later to try them on again. Still, the same thing - the arms are just too tight to where I have to fight to get them in the sleeves. And I'm not a very big guy.

But, man, do I want that jacket! It's $180 (which to some of you may be chump change!) but if those arms were a little looser, my wallet would be a little lighter!
52Degrees likes this.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I don't dare buy anything online anymore. Not unless I've tried on EXACTLY the same thing in a store somewhere.

My gloves are Sedici 3xl. No other brand comes close. Jackets are so oddly sized from brand to brand it isn't even funny. Tried on a 4xl in one major brand and couldn't even shrug into it, nevermind zipping it shut. Tried on another brand (Sedici, in fact) in a 3xl, perfect fit! Even with the liner in! Astar doesn't make anything I've found that will fit me, which bumms me out since I like a lot of their stuff. Not even gloves as far as I've seen.

The good news is I'm losing weight now. That's one thing motorcycling has always helped with. I'm generally healthier and less fat the more I ride.

Devilsfan likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Not sure if you're a big guy or little but this can work both ways....
Quote:
I don't dare buy anything online anymore. Not unless I've tried on EXACTLY the same thing in a store somewhere....
I "took a chance" back in August. One of the motorcycle gear places had a clearance on ICON "RAIDEN Treadwell" waterproof boots, brown leather, ONLY in size 10.5 w/ a WARNING that they fit AT LEAST one size smaller, for $70US, delivered. Here's what they look like (tho' I didn't buy them at Cycle Gear):

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/icon-...d07b2926b0a2a5

I wear some footwear in size 9, some in 9.5, some in 10, so I figured I'd get a pair, and IF they didn't fit, try to sell them on Craigs List.

Got here (AZ) a week ago, and put them on - BEAUTY-fit!!! I've worn them several rides now, and I'm REALLY pleased I "took a chance".

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 10-28-2018 at 01:48 PM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

We go Japaneses standard here as there is no worries on cold. Its either hot or wet..
52Degrees likes this.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I've found the best pants are the ones that are four season. That is they are vented for summer but work in cold weather as well. It's nice to have a pair that you can throw on over shorts.

For the money and hot weather it is hard to beat Brosh cargo style pants made in Israel. They ship to the US for about $99. They are not good cold weather pants though.

For more protection and about $160 Klim Outrider pants are hard to beat. These are not very air permeable which makes them good in mid to cool weather, but not good in the heat, but you will need an under layer when it gets really cold. Virtually every online retailer has picked these as a favourite.

If you want something to throw over sweat pants in cold weather or shorts in the summer there are lots and lots of options, just make sure they are vented and come with a wind proof liner for all season versatility. Olympia are a great choice in this category but there are many other.
Might have to look into those. I currently use a Joe Rocket Ballistic Revolution jacket, but it is already starting to fall apart after a year, I love its liner (which is removable), it is a very warm jacket and with the liner out it is semi-tolerable in the heat here (90s with little humidity is about as hot as it gets here). For pants I use a pair of Bull-It SR4 riding jeans, they are pretty comfy on the bike, but too heavily armored to pass as regular jeans, they are quite warm and suitable for dry cold weather riding and surprisingly water resistant, they will keep you dry in a light rain and even when I took them through a downpour my legs didn't get that wet. I've been looking at the Alpinestars Andes v2.0 jacket and pants, they fit me very well and seem to be very good for the price (Jacket is $250, pants are $220 on RevZilla), I would certainly trust them in a slide more than any Bilt gear (I know from several friends that have tested Joe rocket jackets that they will take one decent slide and keep you intact).

Klim gear is very nice, but holy cow is it expensive. You can buy an Alpinestars airbag jacket with the airbag for the price of a Klim ADV jacket.

Gloves wise, I have a 12 year old pair of Icon Merc gloves that I will use until they fall apart.
52Degrees likes this.

Last edited by mrvwbug; 10-28-2018 at 10:32 PM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 07:34 PM

Think outside the box, too!

Might I add...search for things outside of the actual "motorcycle gear". For example, if you're looking for warm, winter pants, I've searched Amazon and found skiing and snowboarding pants. They aren't protective like riding pants with armor but, if you sew you can always stitch in some pockets and get some armor. The pants can be very economical so adding armor and a little time can go a long way!

When I was looking for waterproof jackets I also came across some neoprene jackets that hikers and joggers use. They claim to be all-waterproof and you can get a good jacket for $50. Again, do some sewing and you can add some armor for a total of under $80 for a safe(r) jacket!

Boots...look in the Hiking section! Steel-toe and waterproof!

Small tool bags...look in the travel and luggage section!

Nik-Nak's...look in the camping section!

You'd be surprised what you can find outside of the "Motorcycle Gear" section!
cyclejohn and 52Degrees like this.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...Boots...look in the Hiking section! Steel-toe and waterproof!...
My suggestion regarding boots - be leery of boots w/ laces, as they can catch on foot-pegs, etc, and cause you to end up on the ground w/ your bike ON TOP of you.

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just so we're clear, that's not the cuddly type of interaction he's talking about.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
My suggestion regarding boots - be leery of boots w/ laces, as they can catch on foot-pegs, etc, and cause you to end up on the ground w/ your bike ON TOP of you.

-
Or much worse.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in