Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

2Likes
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By quexpress

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Looking for new short boots for hot weather use

Replacing my Side Doho's that have worked great but worn through the left sole, probably from too many left foot down stops. Make me some recommendations. Must be..

• comfortable to walk in like sneakers
  • functionally protective
  • must not be water proof or too hot in 30C/90F city temperatures
  • neutral styling, that is not scream I ride a motorcycle

Last edited by twowheels; 09-16-2018 at 01:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
As a side note I purchased a pair of Doc Martin 8 eyelet boots this past spring to replace the Sidi's however they turned out to be less than ideal due to the following...
  • are not designed to flex forward enough at the ankle to be comfortable on the bike
  • only have a thin layer of leather with no padding over the protruding parts of the ankle bones
  • buckskin leather is quickly worn where it contacts parts of the bike
  • absolutely no breath-ability

Note my main pair of boots is a pair of GoreTex Motorcycle boots I use for more spirited, dedicated or longer rides or riding in cooler or wet weather or with full riding gear. The short boots are to complement these and be used mostly for hot weather riding and commuting in a large city where I need to walk distances off the bike and comfort off the bike is as important as protection. Since wear is spread out I find it does not really cost more to have two pair of boots than a single pair this way.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 09:08 AM

Garage
Several companies make "air" boots that have perforated leather panels. I would rather do that than give up protection.

I like to "Scream" that I ride a motorcycle. That way I can have meaningful "to me" conversations with strangers. If I am not on a bike I am wearing some type of motorcycle shirt. There is nothing else I am interested in talking about.

When I meet locals and they see that I ride they point out interesting and amazing roads for me to ride.
Skypilot 69 likes this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 02:27 PM

Garage
I wear these for work and for riding:
Reebok Mens Coyote Leather Tactical Boots Rapid Response 8in Stealth CT 7 M https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01INZDBBI..._P2QNBbXMQWRVH

It's more out of convenience and cost savings, however. I wear them 12-18 hours a day.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 07:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
I wear these for work and for riding:
Reebok Mens Coyote Leather Tactical Boots Rapid Response 8in Stealth CT 7 M https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01INZDBBI..._P2QNBbXMQWRVH

It's more out of convenience and cost savings, however. I wear them 12-18 hours a day.

Do the laces get stowed somewhere so the loops can't snag on anything?

My Versys Travels:

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 08:15 PM

Garage
I stow them under my pant leg...

They're pretty short, so I haven't had an issue. Also, the zipper on the side means I never have to tie anything unless I need to adjust the fitment.

The sole is a high traction, oil resistant type. I've thoughtlessly done dirty foot stops with absolutely no slipping. And they are wearing much better than my Keens have.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 01:02 PM

A number of manufacturers offer riding shoes or riding sneakers. About five years ago, I wanted something I could ride and commute in, and not have to worry about changing when I got to the office. I found these from BMW on Amazon then. They offered a stiff sole and some ankle protection/padding. I've not seen a riding shoe offer armor -- only padding, and even that was not common when I was shopping five years ago. They also have a velcro strap that covers the laces. That said, I haven't tried these shoes on the Versys yet, because I'm not sure how I feel about "losing" the slight height I get from the heel of my TCX Aura boots, but I did find the shoes really comfortable for all-day wear. I'll bet they have an updated version to replace the discontinued style I currently have.

Other riding shoes I like are from TCX. Clearly, I am a fan of Chuck Taylor hi-tops, since that's the style I lean toward.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 03:00 PM

Garage
I have the Sketchers Blaine Orson ankle boot, which I bought at Academy but it is usually available on Amazon. Sketchers also has a very similar Dorton Chelsea boot on Amazon (biggest difference I can see is absence of front pull tab, which I never use). These boots have really good grip, which I like since my pea-gravel driveway can be slippery when wet. The boots are also slip-ons with leather on the expanding side gussets just in case you need the protection there (not many boots have this). They are built sturdy, priced nicely, easy to slip on quicly, and look pretty decent with khakis, etc. for corporate casual.

Edit: I did add some cheap gel inserts to my boots, and with those these boots are quite comfortable for either lots of standing or walking.

2015 Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Versys 650 ABS, 2006 Vulcan 500 (sold)

Last edited by Rob9876; 09-17-2018 at 03:03 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 06:11 PM

Garage
I have 2 pairs of Alpinestars Joey Riding Shoes that I bought back in 2014 that are still serving me well. 1 pair is regular and the other waterproof.

I tried on a pair of Revit Taylor shoes at a local store the other day. Right out of the box they were equally/more comfy than my Joey's, with much better protection. I will def be getting a pair when my current summer shoes are finito.

https://fortnine.ca/en/revit-taylor-shoes

2010 Aprilia Shiver 750 "Ruthy"
2018 Kawasaki Versys 650LT ABS "Lucy"
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 02:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Replacing my Side Doho's that have worked great but worn through the left sole, probably from too many left foot down stops. Make me some recommendations. Must be..

• comfortable to walk in like sneakers
  • functionally protective
  • must not be water proof or too hot in 30C/90F city temperatures
  • neutral styling, that is not scream I ride a motorcycle
Bought a pair of those a year ago

They often come on sale at less than $50

They are WP, so they run on the hot side, but it's not unbearable

My 2 cents

LOP
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 03:19 PM

Red face

For the past 15 years or so, Iíve been wearing Red Wing Boots during the spring and fall of each riding season.

These Red Wing boots have been very good but I now find them a bit heavier than I would like.

During the summer season, I wear Magnum Stealth Force 6.0 boots.

These are light and very comfortable. If I ever get another pair, I will make sure to get side zipper boots. They are much easier to put on and remove

In the near future, Iím thinking of getting 8-inch tactical sport boots for the spring/fall.

I believe that these should be lighter and probably more comfortable than my Red Wing boots.

I will certainly know when I try them out at the Pre Fair store.
onewizard likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 08:13 PM

Garage
Only specifically designed boots will give the protection you need. I have often ridden in work safety boots, but try standing up in them for any length of time and their lack of instep bracing has them dig into the bottom of your foot.
Beware of shorty boots that are cut low at the back above your heel. They are very difficult to get on and off.

I have some Alpinestar Ridge 2 Air boots for most riding, including dirt roads, and a pair of Forma low boots for trips.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode