• 1 Post By Devilsfan
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By RVerde

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
My new HJC RPHA

I've been doing as much research as possible for the last 4+ months on helmets. I wanted a full-face helmet that has the best airflow while maintaining a "Sport Touring-style" helmet. I preferred to have a drop-down sun visor. Colors didn't really matter, so as long as it wasn't white, hi-viz (they fade fast!), or any of those teenage-like/sports bike rider/themed graphics. I hoped for something "quiet" but again, doing research, even the best reviewers were reminding me that you're on a motorcycle and there really isn't a "quiet" motorcycle helmet, only "quiet-er" helmet!

I have a few helmets already of different brands and styles. I didn't want to break the bank either as some of my best helmets are the Bilt brand (Cycle Gear) helmets and they're extremely well-priced.

So, after searching and searching the best one I found for what I was looking for was the HJC RPHA-70 ST. I already have 2 HJC's from years ago when I bought my 2003 Volusia. They aren't bad helmets but they're full faced and very noisy. (Plus very outdated at this point)

Anyway, these helmets go for $360-$380 for the standard, single-color helmets. So I rode down to my dealer in Tampa. They only had the RPHA's in the Grandal style, which is $400+. After speaking with my parts guy (he always takes care of me!) I told him I wanted the RPHA but just didn't want to pay the extra $$$ for a funky painted helmet. Since he didn't have any solid colors in stock he said he'd sell me the Grandal for the solid color price and give me a 10% discount. I said, "Box it up!".

I settled on the black and white HJC RPHA-0 ST Grandal. Final cost after taxes - $375.00

(Yeah, I cought some bugs on the way home!)

This is the most expensive helmet I've ever owned/bought. But let me tell you, on the ride home it was awesome! I had all the vents open and could immediately feel on my face where the vents were blowing. This helmet has 6 intakes and 2 exhaust vents. It comes with a Pin lock lens and a really thick helmet bag. It also has a velcro-attaching chin skirt for the cooler days. There are reflecting pads attached to the bottom. When you hold this helmet up and look at it from behind it's really noticeable. Also a unique feature is the underneath of the ear pads is a material that helps to catch the helmet from sliding off your seat should you set it there. (Something I never thought of!)
Also noticed immediately...the weight! Man, this thing is light!

All in all, my wallet's definitely lighter (at least for my tastes!) but I'm liking this helmet. I was nice and cooled on the ride home, given that I'm in 90 degree heat here in Tampa, FL. The air flow is great and the noise was actually quiet-"er" than any of the current helmets I own. I like that you can either lock the visor down or keep it open a tad bit to allow more air in.

Here's Revzilla's take on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=5t6FgQtdzQY
weljo2001 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
...Colors didn't really matter, so as long as it wasn't white, hi-viz (they fade fast!)....
I have to disagree w/ you - SOME "hi-vis" helmets DO fade, but here are two pics of my current BELL REVOLVER ECO (JACKAL w/ graphics, mat finish, from mid-summer '18), and NON-current BELL REVOLVER ECO (from mid-summer '15 till replaced by BELL this summer, shiny finish).

The '15 helmet has been to D2D twice, '15 and '16, as well as across Canada and back in '17 (probably ridden for about 70,000 kms [43,500 miles]), while the NEW helmet has around 6,000 kms [3,700 miles] of use. So BOTH have spent a lot of time in the sunlight, w/ NO appreciable fading.

Pic 1. natural light; and
Pic 2. on-camera flash.

I HAVE seen some that are badly faded, but they were NOT BELL helmets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1319.JPG (305.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1320.JPG (293.4 KB, 5 views)
Devilsfan likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I have to disagree w/ you - SOME "hi-vis" helmets DO fade, but here are two pics of my current BELL REVOLVER ECO (JACKAL w/ graphics, mat finish, from mid-summer '18), and NON-current BELL REVOLVER ECO (from mid-summer '15 till replaced by BELL this summer, shiny finish).

You got lucky!!! (Or at least ya got a much better product than ANYTHING OF MINE that is Hi-Viz!)

Both of my jackets, a Bilt and Tour Master, are/were Hi-Viz...now faded. And my last helmet, a G-max in Hi-Viz, also faded. All of mine faded within a year, or less! Maybe the Florida sun???

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
You got lucky!!! (Or at least ya got a much better product than ANYTHING OF MINE that is Hi-Viz!)

Both of my jackets, a Bilt and Tour Master, are/were Hi-Viz...now faded. And my last helmet, a G-max in Hi-Viz, also faded. All of mine faded within a year, or less! Maybe the Florida sun???
I spend MOST of the year in the sun, either in BC or in AZ, and my AZ helmet [ALSO a BELL REVOLVER EVO] is hi-vis and NOT faded. I have SEVERAL BiLT hi-vis vests, NONE of which have faded, as well as a SPEED and STRENGTH mesh jacket in hi-vis, not faded. In this pic, the S&S is at the left, while the BiLT is about six IN from the left.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1315copy.jpg (330.3 KB, 2 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I spend MOST of the year in the sun, either in BC or in AZ, and my AZ helmet [ALSO a BELL REVOLVER EVO] is hi-vis and NOT faded. I have SEVERAL BiLT hi-vis vests, NONE of which have faded, as well as a SPEED and STRENGTH mesh jacket in hi-vis, not faded. In this pic, the S&S is at the left, while the BiLT is about six IN from the left.

Oh yeah? Well, do you wear your gear when mowing the lawn, playing shuffle board and going to the beach? Because I do!

(I always gotta let people know I'm a bad-ass, motorcycle rider!)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Oh yeah? Well, do you wear your gear when mowing the lawn, playing shuffle board and going to the beach? Because I do!

(I always gotta let people know I'm a bad-ass, motorcycle rider!)

(I do NOT have a lawn at either house, do NOT play shuffle-board, or go to the beach..., BUT I do wear my "bad-ass, motorcycle-rider-gear" while sitting in the door-way to my garage, drinking beer and shelling peanuts, w/ the GREEN HORNET TOO right behind me...! I'm USUALLY in that yellow chair just visible above the front fender on the Beemer....)

Fastoman and Devilsfan like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I bought a RPHA 70ST as well. It's the Black & Red striped model. Mainly purchased for the lighter weight & better air flow. I wouldn't call it a quiet helmet but it's much better than my HJC IS Max modular. About a lb (oops! 0.5 kg) lighter. It's also not Shoei or Arai quality but definitely a step up from the IS Max. The clear shield is great. Very low distortion. Sun Shade could go down a wee bit more but it does the job for those westerly runs 30 min. before sunset.

I also purchased some Gor-Tex touring boots that are waterproof yet still flow air. Problem is, I can't shift half of the time I wear them.
Devilsfan likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVerde View Post
I bought a RPHA 70ST as well. It's the Black & Red striped model. Mainly purchased for the lighter weight & better air flow. I wouldn't call it a quiet helmet but it's much better than my HJC IS Max modular. About a lb (oops! 0.5 kg) lighter. It's also not Shoei or Arai quality but definitely a step up from the IS Max. The clear shield is great. Very low distortion. Sun Shade could go down a wee bit more but it does the job for those westerly runs 30 min. before sunset.

I also purchased some Gor-Tex touring boots that are waterproof yet still flow air. Problem is, I can't shift half of the time I wear them.

Adjust the gear lever.....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Adjust the gear lever.....
Well.... yeah but it shifts just right with my normal low boots. I like the airflow in the tour boots but overall I prefer my low leather boots. They're less clunky to walk about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode