Recommendation for new rain jacket? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Recommendation for new rain jacket?

I currently have Nelson Rigg rain jacket and pants. They work great and fit well over my other gear, however it's all black, and if there's a time I want to be more visible, it's when it's raining. I'm going to keep using my current pants, I just want to replace the jacket with one that's high viz. My mesh jacket and pants have rain liners, but I think it's dumb to have the rain layer on the inside, since when it stops raining, now I have wet gear.

I'm thinking about a Frogg Toggs jacket because they are cheap, and pack down really small, and they have a high viz green option. Anyone have any experience with them, or have recommendations for something else? I don't ride a lot in the rain, but ride to work daily, so get caught in the rain sometimes...like this morning.

Thanks in advance.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.

Last edited by james75; 08-21-2018 at 06:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 05:55 PM

Garage
These guys usually have great pricing on gear..Raingear :: MotorcycleGear.com

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 06:08 PM

Garage
Frogg Toggs come in many varieties and thicknesses. They don't work well if they are flapping in the wind. Will wear down quickly like a plastic blue tarp flapping in the wind.

I had some farm Frogg Toggs that worked well on the bike with the bib pants and jacket but they didn't pack down small.

I went with a high viz jacket from motoport. Waterproof, breathable, custom fit and the last one I will ever need.

Aero-Tex Rain Jacket | Motoport USA Mine is High Viz everywhere except the pocket flaps and the front zipper flap because I knew those areas have a tendency to get dirty.

Made in the USA and lifetime guarantee.
Oldandslow likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 08:08 PM

I have 2 sets of the Nelson Rigg's Hi-Viz rain gear. They've done very well so far. I think the Nelson Rigg's are much better in durability than some of the other brands. They may cost a few extra $$ (and not really that much more!) than others but they've held up well for me.

I also have 2 waterproof jackets in Hi-Viz. One's a Bilt, which is a little heavier for the colder weather. The other's my summer jacket that's a Tour Master. Like you stated above, the Tour Master has the waterproof liner that goes on the inside. The Bilt is all waterproof with a quilted lining for cold weather.

To be honest, the BEST rain gear that goes over your clothes that I've ever used...is Harley Davidson's brand! When my father quit riding and sold his Softtail he gave me his old HD rain gear. That set was nails!!! Extremely strong and durable and never leaked anywhere. Unfortunately, when I wrecked my VTX I was wearing the jacket and pants as I tumbled down the asphalt! I swear it saved me on the road rash but took most of the hit. Had to throw it out.
DaveC and Skypilot 69 like this.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by james75 View Post
...I'm thinking about a Frogg Toggs jacket because they are cheap, and pack down really small, and they have a high viz green option. Anyone have any experience with them, or have recommendations for something else? I don't ride a lot in the rain, but ride to work daily, so get caught in the rain sometimes...like this morning.

Thanks in advance.
IF you buy Frogg Toggs, be VERY careful around HOT things - they MELT quite readily....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 10:02 AM

Garage
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnobbyGuy View Post
I've had this suit for years. It's a great suit and works/wears as advertised. I tend not to wear it, because it's super hot, even on temperate days. As a matter of fact, a friend and I got caught in a sudden storm during a ride last weekend. When we pulled over, I briefly considered putting on the rain gear. However, mesh gear and clothes were already soaked through, and the thought of becoming a self-contained, rolling sauna didn't appeal to me. What I'd like is something that I can wear, but won't make me pass out from the heat.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
That's the suit I have now, but the jacket is black. And I would agree with txcyclist, it doesn't breathe at all, but maybe rain gear isn't supposed to. However, it has kept me dry when I've used it.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:

Yep, that's the one I referenced above.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcyclist View Post
...What I'd like is something that I can wear, but won't make me pass out from the heat.
KLIM and other expensive manufacturers make what you're looking for - basically a "GoreTex" suit, so it 'breathes'. Personally I carry a separate rain-suit on my LONG adventures, EVEN when I wear something "rain-proof" (Kilimanjaro jacket), as sometimes it's very hard to dry things out AFTER they are wet, and you're camping.
txcyclist likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
KLIM and other expensive manufacturers make what you're looking for - basically a "GoreTex" suit, so it 'breathes'. Personally I carry a separate rain-suit on my LONG adventures, EVEN when I wear something "rain-proof" (Kilimanjaro jacket), as sometimes it's very hard to dry things out AFTER they are wet, and you're camping.
Is your Kilimanjaro fully waterproof? I've yet to come across a set that's 100% waterproof (Aerostich classic roadcrafter and Olympia gear). I end up with a separate set over the top of my gear which is really bulky and takes up more storage space.

Looking at Klim and The 37.5 Kilimanjaro setup right now.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee R View Post
Is your Kilimanjaro fully waterproof? I've yet to come across a set that's 100% waterproof (Aerostich classic roadcrafter and Olympia gear). I end up with a separate set over the top of my gear which is really bulky and takes up more storage space.

Looking at Klim and The 37.5 Kilimanjaro setup right now.
I do NOT think that my (TWO) Kilimanjaros are fully waterproof (after all - I wash them periodically, and they take "awhile" to dry...), so on my 'rides' I pull over and put rain-gear ON overtop when I see rain 'coming'. The rain-suit I have here in BC is by "alpinestars", VERY hi-vis, and packs into a sac that's 13.5" in circumference [about 4.3" diameter], 10.5" long, so takes very little space. FYI - I carry my rain-gear in my knapsack along w/ hydration stuff, so I can get to it easily.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 08-27-2018 at 01:00 PM.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 07:38 PM

olympia makes great gear, which i have. get a vented jacket, with a rain liner which ITSELF has a removable insulation layer. should keep you comfortable in just about all situations.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyvous59 View Post
olympia makes great gear, which i have. get a vented jacket, with a rain liner which ITSELF has a removable insulation layer. should keep you comfortable in just about all situations.
I have an Olympia mesh jacket in hi-viz with the two liners now. Also have the Olympia mesh pants with liner. Yes, it's great gear and it's truly a four season jacket. However, I commute to work and need to keep my gear dry when it's raining, which is why I also use a rain suit when needed. I like the rain suit I have now, was just looking for a more hi-viz option. But I may just end up buying another Nelson Rigg, but with the hi-viz jacket.
tommyvous59 likes this.

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james75 View Post
I have an Olympia mesh jacket in hi-viz with the two liners now. Also have the Olympia mesh pants with liner. Yes, it's great gear and it's truly a four season jacket. However, I commute to work and need to keep my gear dry when it's raining, which is why I also use a rain suit when needed. I like the rain suit I have now, was just looking for a more hi-viz option. But I may just end up buying another Nelson Rigg, but with the hi-viz jacket.
commuting and trying to look decent when you get to work, you're right, a rain suit over your riding jacket and pants would work. if $$$ is no option, a one piece aerostich ?

i have non-vented water-proof olympia riding pants that don't absorb water. but my vented olympia and joe rocket jackets have INNER rain liners, and unfortunately the outer shell DOES absorb water.

of note, i have an old fieldsheer jacket that could be good into the 80's F that has high denier textile and does not absorb ANY water. it's super warm and was quite popular with guys in your neck of the woods. i can ride in the 30's F without the insulated liner for hours, the liner making it too hot. unfortunately, i can only wear it a few of weeks out of the year. it's hot down here.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...if $$$ is no option, a one piece aerostich ?...
My personal choice is TWO-piece, because they are MUCH easier to get into at the side of the road, which a one-piece is NOT, particularly IF it's ALREADY starting to rain, and you're trying to hurry.

Lours_Polaire and Devilsfan like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
if $$$ is no option, a one piece aerostich ?
I have one kid getting ready to start college and another getting ready to start driving. So unfortunately an Aerostich is nowhere in my near future.

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 12:16 PM

Garage
Have being looking at Motoport product

And they have ''liner'' to go inside OR outside of there product

Can't give an appreciation because I haven't pull the trigger on one of their product (on the expensive side of thing as far as jacket/pants goes, especially when you have to factor in the money exchange), but they seem to make quality product

I'm putting money aside and in 1-2 year will get myself a taylor made kit !

My two cents

LOP

Last edited by Lours_Polaire; 09-13-2018 at 12:16 PM. Reason: forgot to sign ...
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 12:17 PM

Garage
PS The waterproof liner is at a reasonnable price

LOP
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Frogg Toggs come in many varieties and thicknesses. They don't work well if they are flapping in the wind. Will wear down quickly like a plastic blue tarp flapping in the wind.
+1 on this. I bought a set of "Frogg Toggs UL12104-08LG Ultra Lite Rain Suit, Yellow, Large" for $16 on Amazon.
Pros: Folds up to the size of a notebook, but much lighter. Fits in a tank bag with room to spare. Cheap. Works for a short time at moderate speeds
Cons: I was pretty wet at the end of my 40 mile highway-speed commute in a heavy rain.

So, better than nothing if you forget your primary rain gear, but I greatly prefer my FirstGear "Splash" rain jacket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode