• 1 Post By jaaklucas
  • 2 Post By james75
  • 1 Post By Randyjaco
  • 1 Post By BoilerRealm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hearing Protection will benefits

I currently have a Shoei Neotec ll with a Sena 30K and and I am not particularly satisfied with the combo. The helmet is so noisy above 50 mph that you can berely hear anything. To hear at high speed means that you get blasted out at low speed. I was wondering if anyone has found a good work around?
What about hearing protection devices with communication via wire or Bluetooth? I know they make them for industry, the gun range and other noisy environments. I have some Quiet Comfort head phones that are great on an airplane and probably riding a motorcycle, but aren't going to fit under my helmet.
I am thinking that a device that fits into the ear without projecting out would work best. Has anyone found a solution or have any recommendations?
Thanks,
Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyjaco View Post
What about hearing protection devices with communication via wire or Bluetooth?
Randy look at foneplugs or is it plugfones one or the other I forget. They make a Bluetooth ($100) and wired version ($25). I used the wired version for the race car under a helmet. Think of it as earplugs with speakers. Work great.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 09:34 PM

If youre clever you can cut some foam to fit in the Bluetooth ear slots in your helmut,works good if your like me.Dont like stuff stuck in my ears all day!
Skypilot 69 likes this.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 10:57 PM

Garage
RandyJaco
I wear a Bilt Apollo Modular and a Sena 20S with OVC ANC ear buds. The ear pieces are comfy and plug into the Sena mount.
A good amount of noise reduction means no more ear plugs. Having music and phone has transformed my riding experience.
By the way, the OVC noise cancelling ear buds were cheap, under $50.

BigDadde in Seattle
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey thanks guys. Both sound good. I ordered the Phone Plugs to give them a try. The OVC's look even better. I will let you know as I try them out. I even contacted Sena today to see what their recommendations are.

Randy
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 08:24 PM

Garage
I wear earplugs that I bought on Amazon that block out the wind noise but still allow you to hear your surroundings, your headset, and your engine. They work great. I used to use foam plugs, but they block everything. I've included a link to the ones I have, but there are others that are similar. However, many have a long stalk sticking out of your ear to make them easy to remove, but I wasn't sure if they would hit my speakers, so I went with the ones below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
jaaklucas and Kyle E like this.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.

Last edited by james75; 07-25-2018 at 08:27 PM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 10:37 PM

i wear ear buds as well, that you can hook to a iPod or mp3 player. i shove the player in the map pocket on my tank bag, where i can change songs. i know, low tech, but it protects my hearing while giving me music to listen to. i can still hear horns, sirens, etc. otherwise i use foam ear plugs.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 06:38 AM

Garage
I tried a bunch of different plugs a couple years ago. My results are here.

I have a hard time getting a good seal with most anything other than expanding foam. 3M are the best for me. I've used them with my interphone with no problem. I can hear everything around me as well.

Be careful of your hearing. It doesn't come back.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road.
The other 2% made it home
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Removed the plastic "shields" from my handguards

Because of the HIGH temps I removed the plastic shields from the handguards on my '15 V650LT [for more airflow over my hands], then went for a bit of a ride today.

OBVIOUSLY there's a "spoiler" effect from them, as NOW I get some helmet-buffeting which I did NOT get before, so I expect the 'noise-level' is higher too.

Just a "heads-up".

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 03:52 PM

A few years ago I went to an audiologist who took a mold of my ears.
A week later I picked up my custom fit ear plugs at a cost of $100.
They're comfortable, easy to clean and work very well.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james75 View Post
I wear earplugs that I bought on Amazon that block out the wind noise but still allow you to hear your surroundings, your headset, and your engine. They work great. I used to use foam plugs, but they block everything. I've included a link to the ones I have, but there are others that are similar. However, many have a long stalk sticking out of your ear to make them easy to remove, but I wasn't sure if they would hit my speakers, so I went with the ones below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
How well do they block wind noise? I currently use foam plugs which do the job, and are basically free (I get them from work), but as you said, they block everything. My current helmet is a HJC, so not particularly quiet (which at least foam plugs make a non-issue).
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I got my Plugfones today. I am unimpressed. They are way too big for my ear cannals. Too bad, I was hoping that they would be a solution.

Randy
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
I got my Plugfones today. I am unimpressed. They are way too big for my ear cannals. Too bad, I was hoping that they would be a solution.

Randy

Have you tried the Surefire brand? I have two sets of the EP3's (the rubber plugs) and they work very well. They have a small piece attached where you can close up the plug for total muffling or open them to where you can hear people talking but the surrounding sounds are muffled.

Unfortunately, I bought the medium set first. The casing/surrounding piece on the medium's fit my ear the best. These things "lock in" to the bends of your ears and sit flush so they don't come out by your helmet foam brushing against them. My problem with the medium's was that the casing fit perfectly but the actual plugs were too small. When adjusted a little, man, they worked great! But they were just too loose in my ear canal.
So I bought a pair of the Large. These I use the most but I have just the opposite issue, the case is too large but the rubber plug fits perfect! I can still use them but I have to finagle a little to make them fit.

I'm thinking of ordering a pair of the EP7's and try the foam plugs.

https://www.surefire.com/tactical-eq...-products.html

***You can get these from Amazon, too. If you have Prime they can get to you quick!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 07:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvwbug View Post
How well do they block wind noise? I currently use foam plugs which do the job, and are basically free (I get them from work), but as you said, they block everything. My current helmet is a HJC, so not particularly quiet (which at least foam plugs make a non-issue).
They do a really good job of blocking the wind noise, as they block the higher frequency. When wearing foam plugs (Hearos Extreme) they blocked the wind but I also couldn't even hear my engine running and going through the gears. The new plugs I can hear my engine even at an idle and I can hear the traffic around me. For reference, I wear an HJC IS-Max II modular helmet. I was honestly skeptical as to how well they would work, but after using them, I'm sold. I grew up around race cars and motorcycles and never wore hearing protection. Now that I'm in my mid 40s and my hearing is already going to crap, ear plugs are important to me.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I am going to take a look at some Surefires tomorrow. I found 2 local dealers.
Thanks
Randy
Devilsfan likes this.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 05:31 AM

I have 2 sets of plugs moulded to fit my ears. One set wired for sound the other simply to block excessive noise. Hearing protection while riding is essential for preventing long term damage. And great for those nights shared with other snoring riders.

Downunder
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well I went to the dealers today. One didn't have any and the other didn't have any smalls. :-(
The website says that they are compatible with tactical communications equipment, but dosen't say how. Anybody know how? I haven't yet heard from Surefire. Somehow I need to connect my hearing protection to my Sena.

Randy
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 06:12 PM

Somehow I need to connect my hearing protection to my Sena.

Randy[/QUOTE]

I haven't read the other posts so this may have been addressed, but for myself I use foam plugs with my Sena without any problem. Volume is up on the phone and Sena both since my hearing has sucked for many years. My only complaint is discomfort in the ear canal after about 5 hours on the road.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Well I went to the dealers today. One didn't have any and the other didn't have any smalls. :-(
The website says that they are compatible with tactical communications equipment, but dosen't say how. Anybody know how? I haven't yet heard from Surefire. Somehow I need to connect my hearing protection to my Sena.

Randy
Not sure how that can be done with the SureFire's. Like I stated above, the SureFire's have a little plug that you can either leave in and all noises are cancelled out, or you can pull the plug out and the loud noises are muffled but you can hear voices and any somm headset you have in your helmet. At least that's how I go with them. I have a built-in Sena in my helmet.

Also, the SureFire's suggest you go with mediums as that seems to be the normal size for most people.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 04:42 AM

I use the 3 flange reusable ear plugs. I can hear my helmet speakers just fine, and they block out the wind noise really well. They last a long time, and go in quicker than foamies. I am thinking about getting some high fidelity plugs to try, so I can hear my surroundings just a tad more.

After wearing plugs for awhile, it's painfully loud without them.
Devilsfan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode