Thinking about a Modular or 3/4 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Thinking about a Modular or 3/4

HELP good people of the V!

I have no issues with wearing my full face and will continue to do so 99% of the time. But getting more air flow would be awesome in stop and go traffic, quick store trips that sort of thing. Be nice not to take the helmet off to run in for a loaf of bread.

With a modular at street speeds of say 50mph can I leave the chin bar up? Ive never even thought to look at them before so I have no clue.

I know I want Hi Viz yellow, no graphics. Must be ECE. Must have internal sun shield.

But if I cant leave the chin bar up think I'll try a 3/4.

Halfway thinking of going with something cheap just to try the form factor, then if I like it step up to a better one. If I don't like it I can use it for my go to gym helmet and not be out money.

Any recommendations? Or talk me out of even wanting to try one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle E View Post
HELP good people of the V!

I have no issues with wearing my full face and will continue to do so 99% of the time. But getting more air flow would be awesome in stop and go traffic, quick store trips that sort of thing. Be nice not to take the helmet off to run in for a loaf of bread.

With a modular at street speeds of say 50mph can I leave the chin bar up? Ive never even thought to look at them before so I have no clue.

I know I want Hi Viz yellow, no graphics. Must be ECE. Must have internal sun shield.

But if I cant leave the chin bar up think I'll try a 3/4.

Halfway thinking of going with something cheap just to try the form factor, then if I like it step up to a better one. If I don't like it I can use it for my go to gym helmet and not be out money.

Any recommendations? Or talk me out of even wanting to try one?
You CAN ride around w/ the modular's 'chin-bar' OPEN - it just reduces your safety-factor in the event of a crash or 'get-off'.

My modulars (BELL Revolver EVOs) have a 'drop-down' internal sun shield which I try to remember to lower IF I'm riding w/ the 'chin-bar' OPEN (ie - when drinking from my hydration tube), because a bug on my glasses would mean a stop to clean them...!

My older EVO (in AZ, as the BC one was replaced by BELL) is

while the newer model is....

Don't know IF they are ECE....
Kyle E likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
You CAN ride around w/ the modular's 'chin-bar' OPEN - it just reduces your safety-factor in the event of a crash or 'get-off'.
Thank you. That makes the decision easy. It would only be up moving in stop and go, or when I pop into Walmart. Lifting it at speed for taking a drink, that's a benefit I hadn't considered. Would be nice on longer trips.

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 03:44 PM

Garage
I only buy Modular Helmets because of the benefits of being able to lift the chin bar up to talk to someone, get air or take a drink. You can ride with them up mine had a tab you can move over to keep the lid from coming down. Never have had to use it though......

I'm really happy with my Scorpion i use it without the beak......https://flic.kr/s/aHsm2ir8Cu
Kyle E likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 04:17 PM

I bought a Bilt modular for $219 WITH a Sena built in and a drop-down sun visor. Had it for a year now and I love it! (IMO, Bilt makes a very comfortable helmet for the prices they offer.)

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-...modular-helmet

I don't like riding with the mouth guard up over about 40 mph, the wind starts to grab at it.

Check out these Sharks. Modular but the mouth guard can go all the way over making it a 3/4. I've tried them on and they're a little tight on my noggin and they feel a little heavy but maybe something to look at.

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/shark...t-solid-colors
Kyle E likes this.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post

I'm really happy with my Scorpion i use it without the beak...
As soon as Eddie mentioned drinking with it, the Ram cup holder Ive seen for bikes finally made sense!

I wish the scorp came in Hi Viz. I want a sold yellow helmet this time. All they have is mostly dark with a few patches of yellow. I just notice how much more it stands out, so decided that is the way I will go this time.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
I bought a Bilt modular for $219 WITH a Sena built in and a drop-down sun visor. Had it for a year now and I love it! (IMO, Bilt makes a very comfortable helmet for the prices they offer.)
Hmm they have the non communication one for $100 on sale right now... Thats a cheap way to see if I even like the form factor. Heck it can be my new come home from gym stinky and sweating helmet if I don't like it. Might have to hit CG tomorrow and see if they have it in stock local.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 05:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
As soon as Eddie mentioned drinking with it, the Ram cup holder Ive seen for bikes finally made sense!

I wish the scorp came in Hi Viz. I want a sold yellow helmet this time. All they have is mostly dark with a few patches of yellow. I just notice how much more it stands out, so decided that is the way I will go this time.

The first cup holder i got was a Kruzer Kaddy. Then i got a Ram Mount Cup Holder....Like the ram mount much better.....

P1010574 by weljo2001, on Flickr
Kyle E likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 05:54 PM

Garage
I have had two modular helmets. I have to because of my glasses. I currently have a Shoei Neotec ll. I like everything about them except that they are noisy as hell. If you can deal with that, I would highly recommend one.

Randy
Fastoman and Kyle E like this.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 06:22 PM

Garage
Kyle.I wear a Nolan n90 and a Nolan n91, and both and have a chin bar lock. You can lock it in the up position. My only concern would be wind buffeting in the up spot.

Civit
Kyle E likes this.
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 06:50 PM

You can ride with the chin up only If the helmet is certified for both positions, and have a way to lock it in the open positions (even If you don't, it's a safety requirement).

That said most will do this. You have quite cheap ones from LS2. For a bit more you have AGV Compact. Very well build and great helmet. As it is an older model you can find it for a very reasonable price.

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk
Kyle E likes this.
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 07:46 PM

Garage
The Shark Evoline series allows the chin guard to go entirely behind the helmet turning it into a 3/4 at will.

I would buy one, but it leans more on the round side of oval and I need the more long oval side of oval.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...e|409|25054028
Kyle E likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 07:54 PM

I use a HJC CL Max modular (no drop down sun shield like the IS Max has) and I ride around when it's hot sometimes at highway speeds with the chin bar up.....no problem.
Kyle E likes this.
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 09:30 PM

I went modular this year,got dizzy with all the $$ involved.Was looking for reasonably quiet and decent venting.Some expensive ones were reported as not so quiet or not enough venting.So there you go.I bought a HJC Imax 2,reasonably quiet for modular and reasonably priced..I got in there with a razor knife and improved the inside top venting Styrofoam channels.Better now.A big consideration is weight I would say.Its not the lightest but Im happy with the helmut.
Kyle E likes this.
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Hmm they have the non communication one for $100 on sale right now... Thats a cheap way to see if I even like the form factor. Heck it can be my new come home from gym stinky and sweating helmet if I don't like it. Might have to hit CG tomorrow and see if they have it in stock local.
Plus, CycleGear has a 7-day return policy if you're not satisfied! (Wish they had a policy like that for marriages! )
Kyle E likes this.
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 12:42 AM

Garage
In really hot weather, city commuting, I like to ride with my visor up. Sometimes I'll just take the entire visor off the helmet. In place of the visor I wear cheap, foam sealing, sunglasses instead. The kind Harley riders wear with their half helmets. You get cool air flow to the face this way but don't give up the protection of a chin bar. Yellow tinted glasses are great as they work great at night under the street lights but also provide some sun shade during sunny days and enhance contrast.

The only downside I've found with this is my Sena 10 is so overwhelmed with wind noise it is unusable until the visor is reinstalled. I however do not seem to find the increased wind noise bothersome at speeds up to 50mph/85kph.

Another option I've heard of for commuting is people doing basically what I do, but with an off road helmet which provides more air flow and no visor, as well as better sun shade with the peak.

Last edited by twowheels; 07-25-2018 at 12:50 AM.
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 07:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
In really hot weather, city commuting, I like to ride with my visor up. Sometimes I'll just take the entire visor off the helmet. In place of the visor I wear cheap, foam sealing, sunglasses instead. The kind Harley riders wear with their half helmets. You get cool air flow to the face this way but don't give up the protection of a chin bar. Yellow tinted glasses are great as they work great at night under the street lights but also provide some sun shade during sunny days and enhance contrast.

The only downside I've found with this is my Sena 10 is so overwhelmed with wind noise it is unusable until the visor is reinstalled. I however do not seem to find the increased wind noise bothersome at speeds up to 50mph/85kph.

Another option I've heard of for commuting is people doing basically what I do, but with an off road helmet which provides more air flow and no visor, as well as better sun shade with the peak.
My problem with doing this is bugs get lodged in the helmet and if they don't die are crawling around inside which forces me to pull over. With a 1/2 helmet you don't have this same concern. BTW, I have seen many riders of bikes other than Harley wearing 1/2 helmets, and see many Harley riders in FF and Modular helmets. I prefer a FF or Modular and no windshield in the summer heat. It is like wearing a cooler on your head.

My Versys Travels:

post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post

The only downside I've found with this is my Sena 10 is so overwhelmed
Side note, can you solder? I saw a quick and easy way to fix the sena 10 low volume problem for a $15 set of headphones. Oh LOL just went to pull up the link I saved, and you are the one that posted it hahahaha! Anyway for anyone else.... https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...h-headset.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
BTW, I have seen many riders of bikes other than Harley wearing 1/2 helmets, and see many Harley riders in FF and Modular helmets. I prefer a FF or Modular and no windshield in the summer heat. It is like wearing a cooler on your head.
Im honestly surprised how many Hardly Ableson riders I see in FF/mod helmets these days. Sure still a crap load of the 1/2 crowd. But It's normal to me now to see a HD with a FF on it.
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help and suggestions folks. I really had my heart set that I was going to buy a Hi Viz helmet next, but after looking around that seems like in a modular its going to be hard to do to fit my round oval head. Probably going to have to go with solid white. Guess I'll save the Hi Viz for the next full face I buy.
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 10:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for all the help and suggestions folks. I really had my heart set that I was going to buy a Hi Viz helmet next, but after looking around that seems like in a modular its going to be hard to do to fit my round oval head. Probably going to have to go with solid white. Guess I'll save the Hi Viz for the next full face I buy.

I buy silver helmets they are easy to see and match any bike....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode