Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Hate to bump an older thread, but I'm helmet shopping and this model is on my short list, assuming I can also get a Pinlock shield for it.

Would you buy this helmet again, and how noisy is it compared to other helmets you've had?

Yes i would buy it again. I've seen several places this last week offering them at a really nice price.. Don't need a pin-lock the shield has a non-fogging coating and I've never had an issue no matter what the weather. It's quiter than my last 2 Nolans....
DaveC likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

ďThe difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.Ē Ė Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Love my Nolan 104, but it very noisy. Now have gotten a Schuberth C-4. Expensive but got it on close-out at the end of last year. You get a lot of bang for the buck on those Scorpions.
weljo2001 likes this.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #63 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Yes i would buy it again. I've seen several places this last week offering them at a really nice price.. Don't need a pin-lock the shield has a non-fogging coating and I've never had an issue no matter what the weather. It's quiter than my last 2 Nolans....
Good to know...thanks! I'm still on the fence because of the DOT-only rating. If it had the ECE rating or tested by Sharp, I'd be a bit more comfortable with it, but it still impressed the hell out of me in the shop last week.
weljo2001 likes this.

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)

post #64 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 08:58 PM

I had a Nolan N91 for the last 4 or 5 years. Had learned to love it but it was a bit heavy and loud and is difficult to figure out audio solutions. Just picked up a scorpion at950 that was on close out and it is noticeably lighter, canít wait to try it out. Has noticeably more room for ear plugs/headphones too but it does feel a bit cheaper than the Nolan... already removed the peak and silly badging. It is the opposite of high vis though, itís some sort of light desert camo but my Nolan was satin black... I count on my white and neon green bike to grab attention. Someone else asked, there is a pinlock shield available, but between the shield and pinlock itís 70 bucks on revzilla which seems a bit steep at almost a third of what the helmet cost me.

2018 Versys 650 ABS
post #65 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcruarceri View Post
I had a Nolan N91 for the last 4 or 5 years. Had learned to love it but it was a bit heavy and loud and is difficult to figure out audio solutions. Just picked up a scorpion at950 that was on close out and it is noticeably lighter, can’t wait to try it out. Has noticeably more room for ear plugs/headphones too but it does feel a bit cheaper than the Nolan... already removed the peak and silly badging. It is the opposite of high vis though, it’s some sort of light desert camo but my Nolan was satin black... I count on my white and neon green bike to grab attention. Someone else asked, there is a pinlock shield available, but between the shield and pinlock it’s 70 bucks on revzilla which seems a bit steep at almost a third of what the helmet cost me.

The Scorpion AT 950 Face Shields come with an Anti-Fog coating. No need for a pin-lock shield....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

ďThe difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.Ē Ė Albert Einstein
post #66 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:
The Scorpion AT 950 Face Shields come with an Anti-Fog coating. No need for a pin-lock shield....
Iíll wait and see, you see mixed reviews around the web on the anti fog coating. My Nolan n91 with an almost brand new visor and pinlock fogs when itís below 50F so idk. Must be all my hot air.

2018 Versys 650 ABS
post #67 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Iíll wait and see, you see mixed reviews around the web on the anti fog coating. My Nolan n91 with an almost brand new visor and pinlock fogs when itís below 50F so idk. Must be all my hot air.

Yep, I had a Nolan N90 then an N104 before i got my Scorpion AT-950 back in August 2017 and have had no fogging issues at all.....
Tcruarceri likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #68 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I would avoid any helmet with only DOT certification. Between the other two standards, Snell and ECE, Snell is safer but the standard requires a larger, heavier and more expensively constructed helmet.

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/3...ate-increases/

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/3...ly-inadequate/

Last edited by twowheels; 02-06-2020 at 11:42 PM.
post #69 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 11:51 AM

I agree that the DOT certification means little but selection, especially on modular helmets, is slim otherwise. Itís all measured risk I guess... my bike feels safer than my Baja bug ever did.

2018 Versys 650 ABS
post #70 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Yep, I had a Nolan N90 then an N104 before i got my Scorpion AT-950 back in August 2017 and have had no fogging issues at all.....
I hope your right. I noticed you canít just open the visor a 1/4 inch on the scorpion like you could on my Nolan which is what I did when it became a problem. Air flow was fine unless I was standing in which case it goes right off my windscreen and into my eyes.

2018 Versys 650 ABS
post #71 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
I hope your right. I noticed you canít just open the visor a 1/4 inch on the scorpion like you could on my Nolan which is what I did when it became a problem. Air flow was fine unless I was standing in which case it goes right off my windscreen and into my eyes.

Thats weird, I can open my windshield at different increments with no issue. The only problem i had was one of the 2 silver screws that hold the shield in place (circled in red in the photo) came out when i was riding on the freeway not long after i purchased the helmet. Called Scorpion and they said that had been a problem on earlier shipments so they sent me out 2 new sets of screws and washers to replace the stock ones and i put them on and used some blue loc-tite also and no more issues..

New Helmet by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #72 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I would avoid any helmet with only DOT certification. Between the other two standards, Snell and ECE, Snell is safer but the standard requires a larger, heavier and more expensively constructed helmet.

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/3...ate-increases/

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/3...ly-inadequate/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BUyp3HX8cY
I agree for the most part, at least since the Snell M2010 standard came out. The lack of chin bar testing in DOT is an oversight imo.

This report (https://www.webbikeworld.com/dot-hel...ow-43-percent/) has a link to a NHTSA searchable database of test reports, including FMVSS218 (DOT helmet standard). It's a bit hit or miss, but the helmet you are looking for may be one of the ones tested.

https://icsw.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/comply/index.cfm

I checked, and the Scorpion EXO AT-950 was explicitly tested in 2017 and passed.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/ctr/999...3-2017-001.pdf

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)

Last edited by DaveC; 02-08-2020 at 06:30 AM.
post #73 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Check here about helmets safety:

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

You will notice that many expensive helmets are not best in protection.

IF you don't find helmets which you wish this is reason (I ask about 1 helmet will they make test for her): We require a minimum of seven helmets in specific sizes for testing, and if we cannot get the full range required we are unable to provide a rating.

But great site to check helmet safety.
I have Caberg Tourmax Sonic (flip-up helmet) 5 star on testing (Same like Caberg Duke, only difference is that I have peak on helmet)
weljo2001 likes this.

Gas for heating, diesel for plowing, electricity for cooking, petrol for driving
post #74 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I would avoid any helmet with only DOT certification....
Several years ago MOTORCYCLIST ran a test of the safety of various helmets, and the helmet that came in #1 was a DOT ONLY helmet.
Tcruarceri likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #75 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Several years ago MOTORCYCLIST ran a test of the safety of various helmets, and the helmet that came in #1 was a DOT ONLY helmet.
If a helmet performs particularly well and is only DOT certified, that has nothing to do with the DOT standard. If a helmet does have the ability to provide protection at the level of an ECE or Snell approved helmet why would the manufacturer not provide this certification as it would help sell the product?

From my earlier post, the DOT standard is flawed due to:
  1. based on flawed medical research on head injuries done in the 1960's when much more up to date and verified accident and medical data is now available. The allowable impact forces transmitted to the head are fatal based on more up to date data.
  2. Unlike other helmet standards, the DOT certification requires no independent, third-party testing. The manufacturer simply self certifies their product and can choose the size as well as the area of the helmet to test.
  3. Under DOT there are no specifications for chin bar, lower head impact, forehead impact, face shield durability in an impact, etc.. Not all sizes need pass DOT minimal requirements, only the size the manufacturer chooses to certify with, usually the size with the lowest head volume/shell size ratio such as an XS which will contain the most foam between the shell and head liner.

Last edited by twowheels; 02-11-2020 at 06:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode