Thinking about a Modular or 3/4 - Page 3 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I use an Arai CT-Z. It’s a 3/4 with extended cheek protection. Absolutely love this thing. Comfortable, lots of venting (but never enough), is a dream in rain and adjustable. It’s probably the perfect round oval helmet too. The catches are 1.) It ain’t cheap at $550, and 2.) it’s not ECE - it’s DOT/SNELL. Arai helmets are the choice of F1 drivers for a reason. That’s good enough for me. Take a look.
Kyle E likes this.

With all the pollution and climate change, what kind of world will we leave Keith Richards?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 10:44 AM

After my Caberh Duke failed after 2.5 years of usage I recently bought a Shoei Neotec II.
I must say, it's a huge leap forward. Much more silent, less weight, really really good fit, less turbulence then (than ?) the Duke.
I can keep the lid open upto roughly 90 km an hour without having it pulling my head in all sorts of directions.
They "fixed" the issue they had with the strap, it's more towards the chin now instead of pushing on your troat.
Only downside for me is that sunvisor may have been a little larger, i'm kinda peeking underneath it when i'm looking at the instrumentpanel.
And i had to say goodbye to my Uclear com set. The Neotec II has been paired with the Sena SLR system, and allthough it works brilliantly for me (99% solo) i now have a microphone in front of my mouth and that's kinda annoying, i often push it down when i close the lid so i have to push it back out a bit with my finger or tongue ( i know....)
Sound how ever is great, same as or better then my Uclear which had the HD package with bigger speakers, the voice controle is just awesome and because it's pretty much integrated with the helmet there's hardly any wind noise or turbulence comming from the unit. And zero pressure points from the speaker which are pretty much inside the helmets filling.
Also installing was a breeze, didn't take longer then 15 minutes.

The old Cabergh

The new Shoei Neotec II

And the Sena SLR system

post #43 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumik View Post
I use an Arai CT-Z. ..... it’s DOT/SNELL.
Wow I was completely unaware there was a 3/4 with snell. Neat. The reason I specified ECE is I was looking for a helm with internal visor and they wont approve them snell. For full face I always go snell, and will continue to do so. That is a neat helm thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freubel View Post
After my Caberh Duke failed after 2.5 years of usage I recently bought a Shoei Neotec II.
I almost could work with the Neotec 2. I think I could have got away with 2xl liner and xl cheekpads and been okay in it. But at the $700 price tag, I just couldn't justify saying "good enough" If I spend that type of money on something I want it to be right.

Oh and I agree I love my sena. I have the 20evo and its great!

post #44 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 11:31 AM

Garage
Correct. The Arai CT-Z does not have the pop down visor as you stated correctly as SNELL will not approve it. Lots of room for glasses and built-in channels though. I use a visor with a light tint that can be used day and night so I can still use my prescription glasses and get a reduction in glare. Plus if you have a round head, this is a jewel. The bill on the top seems completely unaffected by the wind but offers great sun protection. We all use PackTalk, which also works well in this helmet. All of our crews use this same helmet and visor. Hard to be perfectly happy with any helmet. This is one I love. Pearl white. Good luck.
Kyle E likes this.

With all the pollution and climate change, what kind of world will we leave Keith Richards?

Last edited by Shibumik; 08-05-2018 at 01:20 PM.
post #45 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Just Saying........

New Helmet by weljo2001, on Flickr
Joe - kinda look like a "Star Wars" Storm Trooper from head-on.... (OR Darth Vader on a "try-a-new-color' Day.)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #46 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Three month review on the Shark Evo 3

Do not buy this helmet.

From the start it was a really great idea. I loved the ability to use it like a 3/4 or full face. But 2 months in the helmet started taking two hands to latch the chin bar.... hard to do at speed. Then you couldn't even move the chinbar from the back to the front without taking it off it was so stiff.

No big deal, sometimes things break or need adjustment. Contact Shark, and they told me to piss up a rope. Saying we don't care, take it back where you bought it. So back to cyclegear it went. They took an additional month to issue the refund because they had to send it back to shark for confirmation it could not be fixed.

I would advise against buying a $350 helmet that has no regard for customers.
onewizard likes this.
post #47 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle E View Post
Three month review on the Shark Evo 3

Do not buy this helmet.

From the start it was a really great idea. I loved the ability to use it like a 3/4 or full face. But 2 months in the helmet started taking two hands to latch the chin bar.... hard to do at speed. Then you couldn't even move the chinbar from the back to the front without taking it off it was so stiff.

No big deal, sometimes things break or need adjustment. Contact Shark, and they told me to piss up a rope. Saying we don't care, take it back where you bought it. So back to cyclegear it went. They took an additional month to issue the refund because they had to send it back to shark for confirmation it could not be fixed.

I would advise against buying a $350 helmet that has no regard for customers.
Wow that's a low down dirty dog shame that a mfgr won't stand by it's product and help out a customer. Good on CG for stepping up. On the opposite side of that coin, I've called HJC on several occasions and found them to be quite helpful. Happy RPHA 70 ST owner.
post #48 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heywood View Post
Wow that's a low down dirty dog shame that a mfgr won't stand by it's product and help out a customer. Good on CG for stepping up. On the opposite side of that coin, I've called HJC on several occasions and found them to be quite helpful. Happy RPHA 70 ST owner.
Yeah I was a bit miffed. I mean my email was something like "hey the chin bar is moving very stiff, is it something I can adjust or does it need a visit to the mothership?" Their reply was "We don't respond to customers, maybe try the place you bought it"....maybe....

I actually ended up with an HJC, had to do a bit of foam carving on the liner to get it to fit my stupid head. I have a weird shape head/neck, modern helmets with their thick neck rolls force the brow to be shoved into my forehead, like literally in pain after wearing for less than 30 seconds. If I take the foam out of the neck roll it seems I can wear anything. So at least ti taught me a lesson on helmet buying going forward so I know what just a little trimming can do for comfort.
post #49 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 10:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
I actually ended up with an HJC
This thread has been going for a few months now, so what I have to say may or may not have been already stated. Sorry if it's a repeat. I've been wearing an HJC modular helmet (Sy-max or something like that) for about 6 years, and have just bought two more (IS-Max II). Two things I want to say.

One, a riding buddy of mine (and his wife) also wore HJC modulars for about six years. They ALWAYS have the front face cover lifted to the full open position when riding. At any speed. He says that if you're going to open the front, make sure the clear plastic windshield is fully closed. I've tried this, and he is correct.

Secondly, I was wearing an XXL size HJC modular. Over time the helmet became loose, as one would expect. A couple of months ago (after an accident in which my head/helmet hit the pavement pretty hard) I bought another HJC modular XXL size, and took it to Sierra Electronics in Troy Ohio for headset installation. The first thing they said was that XXL was too big for me. I tried XL, which was fairly snug, but my sunglasses actually fit better in an XL. Now here's my point. The helmet shell for XL and XXL is exactly the same. It's the interior padding that snaps in which makes it XL or XXL. And this interior padding comes in two parts - the head and the side/cheek. As just mentioned, I tried XL (which was simply replacing the XXL padding with XL (head padding only)) and it fit snug, but better. It's the same scenario for other HJC modular helmet exterior shells. Something like L and M are the same shell, with different size interior paddings. (I'm not certain of this last statement because it didn't apply to me. But they did say other sizes have the same exterior helmet shell with different interior padding.)

Paul
2012 Kawasaki Versys 1000
2012 Honda Gold Wing 1800

Last edited by CuddyBuddy; 12-10-2018 at 04:55 PM.
post #50 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the help and suggestions folks. I really had my heart set that I was going to buy a Hi Viz helmet next, but after looking around that seems like in a modular its going to be hard to do to fit my round oval head. Probably going to have to go with solid white. Guess I'll save the Hi Viz for the next full face I buy.
hey i know im late, but im in the same boat as you right now and im just curious on what you ended up getting?
post #51 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:36 AM

Hey guys! can i get your opinion on this? i like the matte finish but still a little unsure

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-covert-helmet
post #52 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
post #53 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahR View Post
Hey guys! can i get your opinion on this? i like the matte finish but still a little unsure

I would NOT wear a non Hi-vis helmet, especially in matte finish. First thing cage drivers say after hitting a motorcyclist - "I didn't see him!"

At least IF your helmet is shiny, they MIGHT see a high-lite....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #54 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 05:07 PM

I use Nolan 3/4 in summer here in Texas when temperatures get above 80* ,have outside visor up & inner tinted visor down.I use a 3/4 for at least 5 months. On long trips I use a Modular with earplugs.
post #55 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
https://www.helmexpress.com/en/caberg-sintesi-mono.

Have used since 09 and no problem getting spare as i deal direct with factory in Italy and they are good. Agent in Singapore are good on getting replacement parts too.

changed the padding once after about 3 years and use cheap china audio system. My rating for this helmet is 7/10 , as sound level is a bit on the high side.
post #56 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I would NOT wear a non Hi-vis helmet, especially in matte finish. First thing cage drivers say after hitting a motorcyclist - "I didn't see him!"

At least IF your helmet is shiny, they MIGHT see a high-lite....

ah i see youre point, thank you for your feedack
post #57 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahR View Post

I have a Torc Matte finish modular helmet with built in bluetooth. after about 6 months, the finish turned tacky and attracted dirt, lint and more and got impossible to clean. I never leave the helmet outside on the bike either. I mentioned it to a salesperson at Cycle Gear and he said this was a fairly common complaint about most helmets with the Matte finish.

BTW, the built in bluetooth also stopped functioning about the same time!

I'm sold on the modular helmet though!
post #58 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 11:50 AM

Cool

Quote:
Yeah I was a bit miffed. I mean my email was something like "hey the chin bar is moving very stiff, is it something I can adjust or does it need a visit to the mothership?"
I actually ended up with an HJC,
Ive got the HJC modular,2 years in . My chin bar got a little stiff recently and I lubed the pivot points with WD40,problem solved.You get dust and grime in there over time especially if you ride dirt. I needed the internal sun visor, thats one reason I ended up with the HJC.
post #59 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
I have a Torc Matte finish modular helmet with built in bluetooth. after about 6 months, the finish turned tacky and attracted dirt, lint and more and got impossible to clean. I never leave the helmet outside on the bike either. I mentioned it to a salesperson at Cycle Gear and he said this was a fairly common complaint about most helmets with the Matte finish.

BTW, the built in bluetooth also stopped functioning about the same time!

I'm sold on the modular helmet though!
appreciate you getting back!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode