Thinking about a Modular or 3/4 - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 01:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle E View Post
Thanks for all the help and suggestions folks. I really had my heart set that I was going to buy a Hi Viz helmet next, but after looking around that seems like in a modular its going to be hard to do to fit my round oval head. Probably going to have to go with solid white. Guess I'll save the Hi Viz for the next full face I buy.

Perfect Timing...(Round Oval)...........
Kyle E likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Perfect Timing...(Round Oval)...........
Wow ask and ye shall receive I guess hah!
weljo2001 likes this.
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
Plus, CycleGear has a 7-day return policy if you're not satisfied! (Wish they had a policy like that for marriages! )
They DO - it's called a divorce....

Devilsfan likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

I read somewhere that the EASIEST helmet color to get noticed is WHITE.

(...AND that the majority of helmet-wearing motorcyclists who end up getting killed in traffic are wearing BLACK helmets.)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post

But at CycleGear you can get your money BACK!!! Not have to pay more than double to walk away with nothing!
Kyle E likes this.
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the help and suggestions folks. I really had my heart set that I was going to buy a Hi Viz helmet next, but after looking around that seems like in a modular its going to be hard to do to fit my round oval head. Probably going to have to go with solid white. Guess I'll save the Hi Viz for the next full face I buy.

My very first modular was a G-max Hi-Viz with the blinking light on the back. I liked it although it would push a little on my forehead.
Anyway, after about a year the paint faded. It turned into a soft yellow. The drop down sun visor tab wound up breaking on me, rendering the helmet pretty much useless.

I also bought a Tour Master Mesh Jacket in Hi-Viz back in March. An awesome jacket as it's waterproof lining works great. But by June it has also faded into that soft yellow. Now, given that I live in Florida the sun beats down on you a lot but still, I would think it'd last longer than it has.

Just be weary of the Hi-Viz colors and sun fading.
Kyle E likes this.
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 06:56 PM

Garage
I would think that that soft yellow would still be more visible than the standard black or grey. I just feel safer wearing the bright color even though they don't stay bright forever.
Randy
Kyle E likes this.
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Just be weary of the Hi-Viz colors and sun fading.
Im in vegas so my sun is worse than yours. I expect some fading.

Quote:
I read somewhere that the EASIEST helmet color to get noticed is WHITE.
I notice white, but man yellow just pops. Ive missed a guy next to me sharing the lane in all black (not dangerous or anything just didn't see him slip in) But Ill see a guy opposite direction on the freeway in a yellow bucket 4 lanes over and 150mph closing speed.
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 07:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
The bell modular I tried on is more round oval. Revzilla does a good job as describing helmet shape.

My Versys Travels:

post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 07:45 PM

Garage
Quote:

Within 7 days, they usually get an annulment.

My Versys Travels:

post #31 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
My very first modular was a G-max Hi-Viz with the blinking light on the back. I liked it although it would push a little on my forehead.
Anyway, after about a year the paint faded. It turned into a soft yellow. The drop down sun visor tab wound up breaking on me, rendering the helmet pretty much useless.

I also bought a Tour Master Mesh Jacket in Hi-Viz back in March. An awesome jacket as it's waterproof lining works great. But by June it has also faded into that soft yellow. Now, given that I live in Florida the sun beats down on you a lot but still, I would think it'd last longer than it has.

Just be wary of the Hi-Viz colors and sun fading.
FWIW - I used my first BELL REVOLVER EVO (Hi-Vis yellow) for three years, in BC, during which time it did NOT fade. My AZ EVO is un-faded after two years of use.

(BOTH my 'Hi-Vis' yellow disc-locks are FADED!)... and CHIPPED....

Quote:
...I notice white, but man yellow just pops. Ive missed a guy next to me sharing the lane in all black (not dangerous or anything just didn't see him slip in) But Ill see a guy opposite direction on the freeway in a yellow bucket 4 lanes over and 150mph closing speed.
I agree w/ you, but I believe that's because we are 'trained' to see that color....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #32 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

So Ive taken the time to try on about 70 million helmets the past week or so.
Tried the Shark EVO just didn't feel like a $350 helmet to me. Not knocking it, but the fit of the parts inside the helmet were sub par, at $200 I would be a buyer.

Tried every damn Shoei AGV HJC and Arai. Shoei NEotec 2 came the closest to fitting. And I may buy one down the road. I even tried going up 2-3 sizes in helmets just to see if they could work with thicker cheek pads and smaller liner.

However I did buy the bilt power modular today. I like it. It is a $100 helmet, but its EcE has speaker pockets and the internal sunshield so ticked the boxes.

Only have an hour and a half time on the bike with it but LORD is modular nice!!!! So much cooler in slow traffic. So nice not to have to take it off to pop into a store. Think it is louder than my full face, but can't say 100% yet how much.

I am absolutely a fan of the style helmet, and think I will keep trying new ones as they come out. I can't believe I waited this long to try one.
Devilsfan likes this.
post #33 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
So Ive taken the time to try on about 70 million helmets the past week or so.
HAHA! Been there, done that...still!

Quote:
However I did buy the bilt power modular today. I like it. It is a $100 helmet, but its EcE has speaker pockets and the internal sunshield so ticked the boxes.

Only have an hour and a half time on the bike with it but LORD is modular nice!!!! So much cooler in slow traffic. So nice not to have to take it off to pop into a store. Think it is louder than my full face, but can't say 100% yet how much.

I am absolutely a fan of the style helmet, and think I will keep trying new ones as they come out. I can't believe I waited this long to try one.

I'm telling you, those Bilt helmets may be cheap but, IMO, they fit me perfectly! And the 2 I own have been holding up really well. I think when it get's cooler I'm going to snatch that Bilt Raptor Shadow full face. I keep going back down there and trying on all the others...only to come back to that Bilt. It fits me great. And for $120!

I will say that they are, probably, noisier than some others out there but I'm telling you, there isn't a quiet helmet in existence. Maybe quiet-"er" but every helmet I've tried is still noisy enough to wear ear plugs.

Just remember, the modulars are generally a little heavier than the full face helmets, if that matters to you.

Glad you found something new!
Kyle E likes this.
post #34 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm telling you, those Bilt helmets may be cheap but, IMO, they fit me perfectly!
Just remember, the modulars are generally a little heavier than the full face helmets, if that matters to you.

Glad you found something new!

Weight has never bothered me, but then I put on the all Carbon Fiber (think it was AGV) and wow I could get used to that!

I'm going to make an effort to try on more helmets. Ill be in LA and San Diego over the next few months, so I'm sure there are bigger bike stores with more selection than I have here in Vegas.
I even went so far as ordering 6 helmets off of amazon in different sizes to try them. Was just really disappointing to have such a problem. My last two helmets were simple as hell, I must have got really lucky.
post #35 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Well spoke too soon. Bilt chin bar wont lock down anymore. 3 days of use, basically left me "stranded" having to ride 60 miles home at highway speeds with the chin bar up.

Guess Ill be getting my money back on that then.
post #36 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Well spoke too soon. Bilt chin bar wont lock down anymore. 3 days of use, basically left me "stranded" having to ride 60 miles home at highway speeds with the chin bar up.

Guess Ill be getting my money back on that then.
What happened? I've never had any issues whatsoever with my Bilt's. How is it not locking?
post #37 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

It wouldn't latch. On either side.
Actually took it apart before driving home to see if I could fix it (thankfully guy in a pickup truck had a tiny Philips). The spring that keeps the mechanism locked on each side broke.

Stopped at Cyclegear they gave me a store credit I didn't want to take the chance again on another one. Guess there is a reason its a $100 helmet.

Bummer liked the hiviz a lot, I also like the modular a lot more than I thought I would. I did about 500 miles the past 3 days with it. So damn handy.
post #38 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 08:55 PM

Garage
Just Saying........

New Helmet by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #39 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Just Saying........

I would, except for the fact it feels like my brow line is in a vise in that helmet. I even tried 2 sizes larger.

I need a round oval. Slightly intermediate is fine, but true intermediate or long oval forget it.

Im probably going to order a Shark evo 3 monday.
weljo2001 and Devilsfan like this.
post #40 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 06:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
HELP good people of the V!

I have no issues with wearing my full face and will continue to do so 99% of the time. But getting more air flow would be awesome in stop and go traffic, quick store trips that sort of thing. Be nice not to take the helmet off to run in for a loaf of bread.

With a modular at street speeds of say 50mph can I leave the chin bar up? Ive never even thought to look at them before so I have no clue.

I know I want Hi Viz yellow, no graphics. Must be ECE. Must have internal sun shield.

But if I cant leave the chin bar up think I'll try a 3/4.

Halfway thinking of going with something cheap just to try the form factor, then if I like it step up to a better one. If I don't like it I can use it for my go to gym helmet and not be out money.

Any recommendations? Or talk me out of even wanting to try one?
Here's a cheap one you can try. It includes all the features you want. I used it cross country. Yes, you can leave the chin bar up at fifty. Even better, you can leave the shield up and have the chin bar down. Yes, it has an internal sun shield that drops down. No idea what you mean by ECE. Yellow as the dickens. For sixty five bucks, what the hell... worth a try.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not a big helmet geek. I buy them cheap and wear them out. I started getting modular back when I used to take the day's receipts to the bank. I started out wearing a black helmet with a mirror shield -- the bank guards would finger their holsters and the tellers would look scared & feel round for the button under the counter. So I bought a modular and never looked back. Way way better in stop and go traffic or running in & out of a store.

Caveat: If you are a daily rider, the friction that keeps the chin bar up will begin to wear out after a couple years. So big deal -- replace it.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode