Tourmaster Synergy heated liner - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Angry Tourmaster Synergy heated liner

My ordeal started about one month ago. I was using my Tourmaster Synergy liner for about a month when the controller came undone. I put it back together. Then the next morninig it shorted out. The liner melted and the wire from the harness melted the jacket looked like it was a camp fire smoking out of the bottom. I immediately yanked the plug and patted myself down. I got a small shock and I now have a whole in my jacket and in my shirt. The hole in the jacket is smaller than a cigarette burn. The liner had a hole the size of a 50 cent pice but you could see all the charred wire inside. The shirt however has a small hole but it was a light wait shirt and it melted. It is now sharp to the touch. Bummer it was my favorite shirt. I sent Tourmaster an email and they have not responded. The motorcycle super store contacted me thirty days after I purchased the jacket and asked for a review. I wrote a review of what happened. The review was never posted. They did however refund the price of the liner. I was going to get the same liner but I now have a bad taste in my mouth. My buddy has the same liner and has had some issues with it to. The manufacturer sent me an email from the response of the motorcycle superstore and when I emailed him back they never responded. Maybe i should have retained the lawyer I talked to. JUST WANTED TO MAKE PEOPLE AWARE OF THIS LINER AS IT COULD BE VERY DANGEROUS! I am lucky that iI didn't have severe burns. So if you are thinking of getting this liner think twice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 09:26 PM

i have the gerbings heated liner. i bought it at americade in 2002 and have been using it ever since without a flaw.it is a lifesaver to extend the riding season.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 09:40 PM

Getting the same liner? I would stay away from anything that sets you on fire.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

I would have to agree...

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 07:35 PM

Wow, makes me happy that I went with Warm and Safe heated jacket and gloves, with a dual troller.

Maybe you should look at getting a lawyer.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgatt View Post
Wow, makes me happy that I went with Warm and Safe heated jacket and gloves, with a dual troller.
The problem is that you read reviews like this one on WebBikeWorld and people think they are getting a better deal than buying a Warm&Safe or Gerbing liner. Skibum may want to put in his review in the comment section of that review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgatt View Post
Maybe you should look at getting a lawyer.
I'm not a lawyer (I don't even play one on TV), but the moment you put the controller together by yourself, you voided any liability the manufacturer had. The first thing they'll say is that it shorted due to a faulty repair. The thing to do would have been to send it back, but it takes a long time, so I would have probably done the same thing...

Gustavo
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 03:57 AM Thread Starter

As far as trying to post a review on Web Bike World, I sent them the negative review but they never posted it. The same happened where I purchased it from. I bought it from motorcycle superstore.com and they never postde my review. The actual controller did not fall apart the controller is conected by a nut it came undone. I just screwed it back on. Either way it shouldn't have happened.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum1015 View Post
I was going to get the same liner but I now have a bad taste in my mouth. My buddy has the same liner and has had some issues with it to. The manufacturer sent me an email from the response of the motorcycle superstore and when I emailed him back they never responded. JUST WANTED TO MAKE PEOPLE AWARE OF THIS LINER AS IT COULD BE VERY DANGEROUS! I am lucky that iI didn't have severe burns. So if you are thinking of getting this liner think twice.
I received this as a Christmas present and will pay close attention to the controller assembly. Will follow-up after I have used it for awhile.

• Black Firstgear Mesh-Tex 2.0 Pants + Y/B Fieldsheer Air Tour Mesh Jacket + N/S Deluxe All Season Cover X-Large + Evolution 4 Disc Lock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 09:55 AM

I've got the vest and pants. Haven't had any problems with the stuff personally, but I've heard of others having defective controllers. Definitely the weak link in the system. I know that Tourmaster has replaced a lot of controllers.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

I have both the jacket liner and pants. My controller started acting up (would go HOT when I plugged in, then couldn't change it: or couldn't turn it ON - the green button appears to be "seized") so I e-mailed Tourmaster who got Motorcycle Superstore to send me a new one that works great so far! And emphasized that there's a 2 year warranty.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode