What do you wear to ride in the heat? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
What do you wear to ride in the heat?

With daytime temperatures hitting a previously unknown 95F/35C, what do you wear to ride in the heat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
For my commute, I wear a Cortech mesh jacket, Alpinestars summer gloves, FF helmet, and TCX Aura boots. Since I am going to/from work, I'm in a light shirt under the jacket and a pair of jeans. If it's a summer pleasure ride, I am wearing a tank top and shorts under the mesh jacket and a pair of mesh pants. With our summer temps in the mid 90s, and having a triple-digit heat index, it can still be rough.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Up to 95 deg I'll wear a mesh jacket w/armor plus lighter armored over pants instead of leather. No change on the helmet...full face full time.
After 95 I wear a Ford Edge with the ac blasting. I can deal with the cold better & longer that the heat.
turn8a, Turk, Kyle E and 1 others like this.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Mesh jacket and armored mesh overpants on top of normal cotton pants and shirt. Hiking boots or touring boots depending on how far I'm going. Regular summer armored gloves and a full face HJC helmet.

If you soak your jacket and shirt with water it will really cool you off if you are in a dry climate. It can be almost cold. It doesn't last more than about 10 - 15 minutes depending on speed and humidity, but it really does help. Soaking the pants helps a little bit but there isn't much airflow over the legs on a Versys.

Riding around the city in the hot weather is pretty miserable. I won't go further than a couple of miles on the bike. If it is a longer trip in the city I take the car with AC.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 03:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Olympia Airglide 4 overpants, Tourmaster Air Intake Jacket, Oxford riding boots and cheap BILT gloves. under that is my T-shirt and shorts. My legs get warm in the boots, but I can tolerate that if I change the angle for a minute to get a breeze in them (waterproof boots have poor ventilation I think).

It easily gets 100 degrees F in the Dallas area. I work nights so its usually less than 98 when I leave the house and less than 90 when I go home.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 04:02 AM

Also, as I am new to riding, I'll still go out if its close to 100. I just make myself drink more water to keep from having issues.

and I only have 1 full face helmet. Icon Alliance style. It vents well enough I guess.

Last edited by notyou83; 07-03-2018 at 04:05 AM.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 05:05 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I start out at sunrise and the bike is tucked away by 10 AM.

I also seek out roads shaded by trees and running along streams. Much cooler.
okinawa85 likes this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 05:56 AM

I have onde helmet for winter, one for summer and one multi season.

My summer helmet is an X-lite 1003 flip up. It is so well ventilated that in the morning I can't ride with all the vents open.

I also wear a mesh jacket and summer motorcycle boots.

And gloves of course.

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 07:30 AM
jpd

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Columbia PFG Omni Freeze active cooling shirt under a mesh jacket and Sliders brand pants. The shirt gets cool when you get it wet. (ie sweat) A little airflow in the mesh and it cools off. Drink plenty of fluids, water or sports drinks.

Jeff

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 08:59 AM

Garage
Alpinestars Joey Riding shoes
Dainese Nosorex tights under Levi's jeans
Revit Sand Jacket with all the vents open
Alpinestars Atacama gloves
Shoei RF-1100 vents/visor open

I also stand up a lot while riding to help the vents do their job.

Mind you it's rare for us to have more than a week or two of +35C/+95C straight. It usually hovers around 32/90

2010 Aprilia Shiver 750 "Ruthy"
2018 Kawasaki Versys 650LT ABS "Lucy"
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 09:28 AM

RS Taichi Armed High Protection Mesh Jacket (their actual name), mostly white.
Shoei RF 1100 helmet, mostly white.
Rev-it mesh gloves, again, mostly white.
Alpinestar Hellcat Jeans, blue.
Dainese boots, black.

I mention the color of the finish and fabric because white reflects heat (and is also more visible) than the more common black or darker colors which absorb heat.

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 10:28 AM

Don't dress for the ride but for the slide.....
Fastoman likes this.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 10:36 AM

While on vacation last year, a man let me borrow one of his cooling vest. It appeared to be made of chamois (chammy cloth). Wet it real good, wring it out lightly, put it on over a tshirt, then put on a mesh jacket. This is a really good cooling system.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot 69 View Post
While on vacation last year, a man let me borrow one of his cooling vest. It appeared to be made of chamois (chammy cloth). Wet it real good, wring it out lightly, put it on over a tshirt, then put on a mesh jacket. This is a really good cooling system.
I bought one for $20 from cycle gear a few years back. Equivalent to a damp synthetic sweater, 100% cooling efficiency but makes your shirt damp if it is not already.

Makes me feel like i am dingy sailing (being constantly damp and wet in wet clothes).

I find once the temp starts to get near or exceed body temp you will cook without one.

Last edited by twowheels; 07-03-2018 at 11:07 AM.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 11:18 AM

Garage
I wear Tourmaster mesh pants, either a Tourmaster mesh jacket or a Fieldsheer mesh jacket , Alpine star vented SMX6 boots and underneath I wear wool socks and Under Armor heat gear..which is a long sleeve shirt and long john style pants.
I've done 8 hour days in 95+ temps with no issues .

2016 green V1K
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
I wear a mesh jacket and pants (armored) along w/ mesh gloves. When it's REALLY hot I pour water (usually from a stream by the road) down my neck, which soaks my tee-shirt AND shorts that are under my gear.

The air blowing thru keeps me cool for an hour or so, then I do it all AGAIN.

REPEAT as necessary.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Mesh jacket with shoulder and elbow armor with duo-dry shirt underneath and carry soaking wet cooling vest in cooler for start. Mesh pants with knee and hip armor. Normal mid level boots and socks. Full face helmet all the time. I meet my friends at 6:30 (why AZ does not use daylight savings time) and we head out in to the country to try to keep moving. We usually stop in about 60-90 minutes and put on our cooling vests. We ride until about 9 a.m. and stop for breakfast at some place that is within 5 miles of all of our homes. After eating, I wet the vest again and head for home with a goal of in the door about 10 a.m. Yes, the wet vest makes you a contestant in your own wet T-shirt contest and I would not have it any other way. Sometimes if it is just the wife and I on a shorter Sunday morning ride, I just soak my duo-dry shirt in a sink some place and put it back on--this move will make you shiver no matter how ready you are to feel the cold. But it works until we get home.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 09:37 PM

in upper 80's to low 100's heat, i wear a mess jacket with armor, vented helmet, sturdy boots covering ankles and lower leg, vented armored gloves, in town or touring. UNDERNEATH, if touring, i wear a tight long sleeve polyester shirt and tight cyclist polyester underwear, with either carhart duck fabric double front work pants, or my old warm/waterproof/armored olympia riding pants. the olympia pants are not vented, but surprising comfortable in the heat. i have vented olympia pants, but the engine heat on windy 100 degree west texas days gave me 2nd degree burns on my calfs. btw, the tight polyester "underarmor" modulates your sweating and body temperature much better than cotton. just remember to hydrate when you gas up or sooner if necessary. it's worked for me on long trips to 108 degrees. any hotter and it might be better to pull over, find some shade, and wait for it to cool down a bit. wash the polyester underwear at night in the sink, and it will be dry before morning to wear again.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 05:35 AM

ATGATT: Armored mesh jacket and pants, full face helmet, regular motorcycle boots, light gloves, and this: "HyperKewl" cooling vest. Here's my review:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HyperKew...-205709794-_-N

I have an 80 mile R/T highway commute and the airflow is critical to making it work. I also refrigerate or freeze it before my ride home.

It's been in the high 90's here in Kansas all summer. On the day it hit 105 I drove the car. Too hot for gear? too hot to ride!
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 06:31 AM

Garage
For my commute to work, I wear Olympia mesh jacket an pants (jacket is hi-viz and pants are gray), Cortech summer gloves, and Alpinestar Roam boots. I'll say the worst part is my feet end up sweaty because my boots are waterproof and don't breathe. Yesterday on my way home from work it was 94 and I decided to skip wearing the pants over my jeans, and I think it felt hotter without the mesh pants over them. And in that heat, the vents in the helmet do pretty much nothing. So when I get into town or traffic, I open the visor to let some of the heat out.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.

Last edited by james75; 07-04-2018 at 06:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode