Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldandslow View Post
ATGATT: Armored mesh jacket and pants, full face helmet, regular motorcycle boots, light gloves, and this: "HyperKewl" cooling vest. Here's my review:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HyperKew...-205709794-_-N

I have an 80 mile R/T highway commute and the airflow is critical to making it work. I also refrigerate or freeze it before my ride home.

It's been in the high 90's here in Kansas all summer. On the day it hit 105 I drove the car. Too hot for gear? too hot to ride!
How long does it stay cooler when you refrigerate or freeze it? Is there some kind of liquid in it?

Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It's quilted fabric - it doesn't contain any liquid, but it absorbs and holds a lot of water when you soak it.

How long it stays cool depends on a lot of things - how soaked it is (more soaked lasts longer, but gets your shirt wet), how cold it is when you start (more than a couple hours in the fridge doesn't change anything, and more than 30 minutes in the freezer and you can't unfold it! :P)

And then there's temperature, humidity, and airflow. It relies on evaporation, so it probably works better in Phoenix than Miami. It needs airflow, so my highway ride works...unless there's a traffic jam then it's like being in a sauna! And the the hotter it is outside, the quicker it loses its cool and dries out.

Which is to say, it's better than nothing, but it's not magic. Keeping your "core" cool helps, but the rest of you is still pretty hot

Really, the question isn't one of how well it works, but about your sanity:
"It's 97 degrees - I think I'll put on a second layer of clothes, boots, gloves and a helmet....and sit on an engine!"

I know where I stand!

Ride safe and stay cool!
Rob in KC, 2014 Versys 650, 18K miles
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 09:49 PM

Not as fancy on my end, mesh jacket, and in extreme heat (over 100 index) I have soaked my head and shirt under the mesh. Camel back to keep hydrated, it will sneak up on you!
tommyvous59 likes this.

2017 Versys-X 300 (Non ABS)
1978 KZ1000 Z1r
2013 CBR1000RR Repsol

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 04:37 PM

Garage
ATGATT. I wear a Rev'it Tornado 2 mesh jacket with matching Tornado 2 mesh pants. They flow a ton of air and come with CE 2 armor in the shoulders, elbows/forearms, hips, knees, and back (sold separately). I also wear a full face Shoei qwest, and AStars perforated gauntlet gloves. Lower the windscreen all the way down and get some nice air in the face. This setup works fine in the heat of the desert as long as you keep moving. Traffic lights in the city are problematic.

For me, if it's too hot to wear the gear, it's too hot to ride.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 09:49 AM

Rukka Air Man. good air flow thru material great protection. Pricey, but super comfortable to wear and temp control. Also, a fellow rider gave me a article explaining riding in the heat, I will see if I can find. gist of it was, skin temp is 93F. so above 93F you do not want max air flow (not a t-shirt and shorts, which of course is not ATGATT. you want controlled amount of air flow to allow for proper rate of perspiration evaporation. Too much air flow and you over heat. when riding above 93F it like you are in a convection oven being cooked. Look at people in the middle east who work out side. they are not fully exposed. its not for sun protection it is for body temp control.

J
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Rode 370 kms yesterday, temp was forecast to hit 33C (91.5F). I'm not SURE how high it was where I was riding, but about an hour from home my passenger and I poured some water down the front and back of our tee-shirts (UNDER mesh), and we stayed comfortably 'cool' till arrival at home.

My shorts were still damp in places, a few hours later, in the house.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Right now its 107 degrees i was headed to the garage to get the bike but decided to take the truck......Damn its hot today......

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 01:13 PM

Olympia Dakar mesh jacket and air glide pants. T shirt and jeans underneath in the morning commute, T shirt and shorts in the afternoon if the humidex climbs over 40C. Mesh is great when moving, but stop and go with no breeze is hot.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 06:40 PM

https://fortnine.ca/en/joe-rocket-mi...-armored-shirt

Pretty damn good, fabric is light and breathes well while moving, doesn't look like a power ranger suit and I can wear it on dates/casually!

https://fortnine.ca/en/alpinestars-copper-denim-pants

Casual look, big reinforced sliding areas, fits me perfectly, can hardly even tell they're riding jeans unless you're looking! Big pockets too which is really nice, and the ankle tapers so it fits without too much bunching up inside my ADV boots if i'm on longer rides, or doesn't flap around like crazy if i'm just wearing my riding shoes!

post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 03:49 PM

Garage
I use a Joe Rocket Hardcore Armoured Hoodie, top unzipped with belt loops attached, and my windscreen all the way down for maximum airflow. Gets a bit warm when stopped, but any other time it is free flowing. Scorpion Covert Jeans, various brands of armoured fingerless gloves, and all vents open on my AGV K3SV make up the rest. If it gets too much, I dawn the "dorko hat" cooling helmet liner.

Everything can be improved with speed.
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 08:07 PM

Garage
Heck yeah, I agree with your thinking!! Start early, finish early !

Poor planning on your part, doesn't constitute an emergency on mine!
post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
thats our daily temp numbers and have no problem riding with full attire. Like said above it for the slide and not the ride we get the jacket on. Its only when you stop that you will feel the heat otherwise any jacket will do, mesh or not.
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 10:52 AM

I recently bought an Olympia X Moto 2 jacket and its probably the best 4 season jacket that Ive seen (that doesnt require a 2nd mortgage on the house).

There are 6 large panels that zip down to expose huge mesh vents when its hot (2 on the chest, two in the underarm area, and 2 exhaust). It breathes really well. Better than a lot of my old sport bike summer gear. I recently bought a pair of Cortech Sequoia mesh pants as well but havent had a chance to ride them in real heat yet. I would have gotten the X Moto 2 pants but $350 seems a bit rich for any pair of pants.

If you are looking for good gear that you can ride year around, I think its hard to beat the X Moto 2 setup
post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
IF it's just a day-ride I wear mesh, top and bottom, but IF it's a multi-day ride I wear something like a Kilimanjaro 3/4 jacket w/ the vents OPEN or CLOSED, as required, as well as non-mesh pants.

For ADDITIONAL cooling I will wet my tee-shirt (pour water down the neck to soak the tee), which gives me PDG cooling at 110F, for 1.5 to 2 hours, then I re-fill the water as necessary.

I USED to remove the tee, soak it, then STRUGGLE to get it back on, but pouring the water IN works quicker....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 05:05 PM

+1 on olympia, they make great gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode