Can anyone recommend a good Tourmaster Jacket? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone recommend a good Tourmaster Jacket?

Hi All,

I have been buying some new riding gear, and so far have got both Pants and Boots from Tourmaster.

Tour Master Cortech Flex Pant
Tour Master Response 2.0 Boots

Both are waterproof and have really been nice products.

I am now going to be in the market for a new jacket -- I really need it to be 3 season and waterproof.

I figure to go with a tourmaster as the pants have a zipper attachment to work in tandem with a jacket for those times where it is really raining.

Anyone have experience with a particular jacket from tourmaster that works well?

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

Next Stop: 44Tooth Sprocket (To be installed)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Except for the truly hot days, I've been happy with the Transition III coat.
Between 90 & 100 I use a Speed & Strength mesh jacket.
Below 25 & above 100 I can think of other places I would rather be than up on 2 wheels
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
Except for the truly hot days, I've been happy with the Transition III coat.
Between 90 & 100 I use a Speed & Strength mesh jacket.
Below 25 & above 100 I can think of other places I would rather be than up on 2 wheels
Cool -- This is what I was looking at -- Can you comment on the waterproofing and heat?

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

Next Stop: 44Tooth Sprocket (To be installed)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
With the vents open I get good flow through the jacket & the liner zips out easy for the warm days.
Did a couple of hundred mile rides in the rain & only got wet from water thru which ever vents I left open (mostly water down my back from the helmet vent). But if you leave your windows open your gonna get wet. I think I saw on the Iron Butt web site that it's better to cover up over 95 deg. I think you'll dehydrate faster than you'll overheat. Your mileage may vary, I don't play a lawyer on TV, and have never slept in a Holiday Inn.

But the coats been fine from Feb 2012 to date in the Chicago area
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 06:03 PM

I have the flex pants and flex jacket. You have the pants already so I'll give you my take on the jacket.
It is great as a mesh jacket during the summer. I used it daily to commute and found I really like it. The outer shell is effective during cooler temps and I use it now. It is warm enough without the inner liner even these past few weeks. The vents on the outer liner work well and almost scoop the air as you travel. The scoop effect is noticeable enough that I close them while on the highway.
The mesh alone is NOT waterproof and I found it easier to carry my PVC rain jacket than zip the jacket liner back on while on the road....

It is a good value, and is versatile. Hope that helps

Dan
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I recently crashed at 40mph and the 2000D reinforcement patch of Cordura on my forearm wore through near the finish of the slide to the underlying armor. No injuries though. 2000D Cordura is is supposed to be as abrasion resistant as 1.3mm leather. I would really have hated to been wearing a lightweight 400D polyester jacket for this slide.

Not saying Tourmaster is bad gear but like other similar low priced gear they use cheaper polyester which offers minimal abrasion protection. Cordura for instance is ~8X more abrasion resistant than polyester of the same denier (weight). Just saying there is no free lunch. If you find a textile jacket for less than $300-400 it will likely have made some sacrifices in crash protection, unlike helmets, there are no crash certifications or testing for gear - at least in North America.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 08:56 AM

If you don't mind 50 miles of Velcro, the Transition is a great jacket. Vents well, looks great and has plenty of pockets. Or you could go with the Epic, which has several nice features including an internal kidney belt.

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 09:29 AM

Hard to recommend clothing when we don't know what you're planning to do with it. Touring clothes have different needs than commuting clothes.
I use my bike mainly for a commute 30 minutes each way so I prefer something that isn't bulky and doesnt take 10 minutes to get in and out of. If I were going on an all day ride, I would choose different gear than I have.
I tried a Transitions jacket. Very nice high quality jacket with lots of features but way too bulky for me and as was mentioned, the amount of velcro is absurd. My commute consists of mostly two lane 55 mph travel, not highspeed interstate, so I don't feel the need for thick heavy body armor.
Gear really depends on your riding environment.
I ended up with a Tourmaster Metro because it's lighter material, hardly any velcro but still armored, waterproof and well vented. The trade off is it doesn't have nearly as many pockets and isn't as customizable as some other jackets. But for a jacket that I put on and take off alot, it's easy to deal with and has been warm and dry when it needs to be.
The main thing I don't like about it is it's only made in black.

Last edited by ray h; 10-30-2012 at 09:35 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 03:44 PM

I have the Transition II. I thoroughly enjoy it except in 105 degree weather. With long sleeve underarmour shirt and the liner I'm good till about 28 degrees. Only use heated gloves.

I like the extra velcro. Makes it nice and snug when the vents are closed.

"Why do I ride?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 07:13 PM

Check out Teiz, they seem to make good stuff at not too much more than Tourmaster but have a lot of higher end features like SuperFabric patches (ceramic impregnated Cordura) and Cordura construction. Lots of good reviews on AdvRider.com. Just got an advertising email that they offer significant discounts if you are willing to wait for a shipment of standard sizes rather than ordering a custom size or opting for immediate delivery.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 09:40 PM

Transition III

I have four high dollar First Gear jackets in closet right now and my favorite jacket is the Transition III. I had a Transition II and just got the Transition III. The Transition II leaked through the small sleeve pocket when it rained. I have not ridden in the rain with the Transition III, but the fit and Velcro sleeve closures have been greatly improved.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 11:27 PM

Intake III. Is mesh. However, the two liners make it a decent 3 season jacket. Used to ride down to 40f. Very comfortable. Excellent value
Recently I got a sabre 3 for fall and winter. Relatively pleased due to low price. However, it has too much velcro. Some details show a bit of quality compremise but still good value. There is better stuff out there. However, Tourmaster price performance is hard to beat.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode