sedici hotwired heated gear - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
sedici hotwired heated gear

i finally broke down and bought some heated gear. this past winter's gear was a conglomeration of what i found in the closet and some skiing gloves i bought from costco. it never quite worked right, but it was enough to ride with some mid-grade suffering..

fast forward - i sold a jeep recently and had some money to blow. i ran over to cycle gear for some handguards and they had the new sedici hotwired gear on sale. tried some on, found out it has a lifetime warranty (key for heated gear!) and walked out the door with a jacket liner and a set of gloves. the jacket came with a free controller, and the gloves have built in controls on each hand. pretty neat.

installation was brain dead simple. i rode with everything on this morning for the first time and, as everyone says, i'll never go back. though it's not super duper cold yet it's chilly enough to where i wouldn't be happy with my fall gear on, would be happy with last winter season's stuff (minus looking like the marshmallow man), and might not have ridden to work this morning.

i was wearing my scorpion leather jacket on top and an under armour long sleeve compression shirt underneath. on the hot setting i was BLASTED OUT hot and the low setting was perfect for keeping me toasty at 85+ on my 30 mile highway ride to work.

my ONLY complaint is this.. as with most brands the gloves plug into the jacket at the cuffs. when using a controller with the jacket the gloves will only allow for different settings when the jacket's controller is on max or high. this can be solved by running a Y splitter and separate cables to the gloves, but that defeats the purpose of a simplified wiring system. i believe when the weather turns and it gets cold (well, as cold as it gets in atlanta) i will have no issue running the liner on high and having more control over the gloves.

the jury is still out on how it performs in serious cold weather, but the price is right, the warranty is good, and the quality of construction seems to be good. i'll update when i ride with it on a cold day.

"What doesn't kill me postpones the inevitable"
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
09 Versys, Kawi Green
ATGATT!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 07:49 AM

I have heated jacket liner, pant liner, gloves, socks. I have a dual controler, full variable pulse unit. So one knob controls the jacket and gloves, and the other controls the pants and socks. I've never had the need to control the gloves separately from the jacket. I'd suggest trying just leaving your gloves set on "high" and control them with the jacket controller. If the jacket area gets too hot compared to your hands, just slightly unzip the jacket at the collar to get some ventilation, if needed.

Dave
Wisconsin ("up nort" from Atlanta)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indulf View Post
i finally broke down and bought some heated gear. this past winter's gear was a conglomeration of what i found in the closet and some skiing gloves i bought from costco. it never quite worked right, but it was enough to ride with some mid-grade suffering..

fast forward - i sold a jeep recently and had some money to blow. i ran over to cycle gear for some handguards and they had the new sedici hotwired gear on sale. tried some on, found out it has a lifetime warranty (key for heated gear!) and walked out the door with a jacket liner and a set of gloves. the jacket came with a free controller, and the gloves have built in controls on each hand. pretty neat.

installation was brain dead simple. i rode with everything on this morning for the first time and, as everyone says, i'll never go back. though it's not super duper cold yet it's chilly enough to where i wouldn't be happy with my fall gear on, would be happy with last winter season's stuff (minus looking like the marshmallow man), and might not have ridden to work this morning.

i was wearing my scorpion leather jacket on top and an under armour long sleeve compression shirt underneath. on the hot setting i was BLASTED OUT hot and the low setting was perfect for keeping me toasty at 85+ on my 30 mile highway ride to work.

my ONLY complaint is this.. as with most brands the gloves plug into the jacket at the cuffs. when using a controller with the jacket the gloves will only allow for different settings when the jacket's controller is on max or high. this can be solved by running a Y splitter and separate cables to the gloves, but that defeats the purpose of a simplified wiring system. i believe when the weather turns and it gets cold (well, as cold as it gets in atlanta) i will have no issue running the liner on high and having more control over the gloves.

the jury is still out on how it performs in serious cold weather, but the price is right, the warranty is good, and the quality of construction seems to be good. i'll update when i ride with it on a cold day.
My Gerbings liner allows for separate control of liner and gloves. The liner has separate wiring to the cuffs for the gloves. Are you sure you are connecting it correctly as this does not seem right.

Most liners have minimal insulation so you will need to wear your jackets insulated liner over top for max comfort in cold weather and avoid hot/cold spots.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
My Gerbings liner allows for separate control of liner and gloves. The liner has separate wiring to the cuffs for the gloves. Are you sure you are connecting it correctly as this does not seem right.

Most liners have minimal insulation so you will need to wear your jackets insulated liner over top for max comfort in cold weather and avoid hot/cold spots.
yeah im beginning to think i have the controller in the wrong spot.. i'm going to play with it this weekend and see. it's advertised that i can control them separately.

"What doesn't kill me postpones the inevitable"
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
09 Versys, Kawi Green
ATGATT!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 12:55 PM

Both temp controllers should plug in to the battery/power supply and jacket liner's power distribution panel. Gloves should plug directly into cuffs.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 06:24 PM

My guess from reading the 1st post is that you hooked them up right, but they're designed wrong. But not having seen them I could be mistaken.

It sounds like there's only one connection from controller to jacket, so you couldn't have erred there. And one each from jacket to glove controller. It sounds like the problem when you turn down the power to the jacket is the gloves don't get what they require to operate their controller. And that would be a design flaw.

On normal heated gear you'll connect a dual controller to the jacket, with the output of one controller powering the liner, and the output of the other powering the gloves. And if you're like me, you'll often turn the gloves on high and the jacket on low. Which it sounds like you can't do with that setup.

If it wasn't an error in how you connected them, I recommend returning them to Cycle Gear and buying a good product such as those made by Warm n Safe and by Gerbing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode