Motodevil down. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Motodevil down.

Hello fellow followers of the V.
Well, first a testimony to the importance of good gear..
On November 8th, Yours truly was getting a nice lean on round an off ramp, nothing insane, not even draggin peg. About a quarter way through the turn, my rear tire hit something and I went down. Memory is a little hazy from there until I woke up in hospital on the 11th.
Want results?
Severly shattered tibia and fibula, the worst the docs have ever seen, multiple fractures of the femur, and 7 fractures of the pelvis, and a broken clavicle on top. That's the bones...
Two punctured lungs, torn artery to the kidney, removed small portion of upper and lower intestine due to crushing damage.
That's all the major stuff, they were surprised I made it to the hospital as I lost a massive amount of blood. They put 11 units into me and apparently you only have like 9 to begin with, to put some perspective on it.
I was, as usual, wearing all my gear, the only gear I ever skimp on is the pants from time to time (which go miles to prevent road rash, not so far to prevent femurs from popping out of your leg). Oddly, I'm pretty sure I didn't even hit my head at all!!! Don't think for a second I'm about to ok no helmet, just odd how mangled I got with no head trauma.
In the week or so after I woke up, 3 people came into the ccu after Moro accidents, no helmets, 1 still breathes. Then 3 more, 2 very minor, one moe dead. I think a helmet is a good idea. I also believe my other gear may have saved me, especially my jacket, with it's massive Knox spine protection. I can't say for sure how much worse it would have been without that, but I assume due to the way I hit, it would not have been good.
Well, the V. Fared worse than me and is totalled. I fortunately stopped when my body hit the large median responsible for the bone crushing, the V. crossed the median and hit a CRV coming the other way. I have yet to see photos, but hear it's pretty mangled.
Well, they hope I can get out of the hospital in a couple of weeks, from there they say at least 3 months before I can put pressure on the left side (where all the broken bones are, btw.) So, can't walk at all for 3 more months, not well for who knows how long....best case scenario, lose leg, start over again....worst case scenario. I'll keep you informed as time passes.
I'll be done riding for a while, not entirely sure I'll return at all, at leash not on the street. My excessive personality doesn't exacly help on the safety factor either...
So I may pop in from time to tIme to say hello and see how you guys are doing, please, ride safe, have fun, and romp those V.'s!!!
Oh yeah, and wear your Fukken gear!!!
Aus,
Erik!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 01:33 PM

Sorry to hear about your accident. Thank you for keeping us informed and reminding us all to wear our gear. Broken femur is serious stuff - I did that when I was 12. Spent the entire summer in traction - oh, the bed sores.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 01:56 PM

So sorry to hear about what you're going thru... Wish you the best scenario outcome and a full recovery ASAP! Take good care of yourself...

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 02:17 PM

My commiserations Motod. Your injuries sound severe. I suffered a open comminuted fracture of my right tibia/fibula, dislocated left hip, broken wrist, and facial lacerations in an auto accident in 1981. The right leg required four operations over the next 4 years. It was a difficult time for me to say the least, but I recovered by and large. So hang in there. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 02:25 PM

Truly sorry to hear of you recent accident. As one who has "been there" I will pray for your full recovery.

Peace
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Man that sucks! I hate to hear it. Hang in there & get well, no matter how long it takes.

post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 10:19 PM

Sad to hear

Keep the chin up and the focus positive.

All the best for a complete and speedy revocery.

BBM
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 02:19 PM

Sorry man that is bad, but keep up the great attitude.

It seems a lot of damage when you were well protected specially on a low side slide out. Did you hit something other than the curb, sounds like some could have run you over??

Heal quickly.

Machog
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 01:10 AM

Erik, sorry to hear about the accident - I hope you have a speedy and full recovery!

Gustavo
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 02:11 PM

Woah! Get better Quick!

You have a great attitude for being so banged up - I agree that you must have been run over as well. Let us know how it goes. Heres to a speedy recovery and a new bike!

Last edited by Ocean; 12-01-2008 at 02:16 PM.
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 08:44 PM

Heal fast bro...with your attitude, you'll be back in no time. Thanks for the update....you are a trooper. I can't say I would be as upbeat as you.

Rick Danger
07 Versys
04 100 ci Merch V-Twin Custom
03 WR 426
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 09:47 PM

Erik, as you know, there are many implications that go with a bad accident, and I pray you are able to deal with them all. I had a bad motorcycle accident about 20 years ago that turned my world upside down. I guess I wasn't as strong as you because at the time I sure wished I just died rather than deal with it all.

You're in a predicament now, but things change. Please keep us updated. Feel free to PM me to let me know how you are doing. You're on my prayer list, for sure.
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 10:36 PM

That is a nasty one, glad you made it

I'm calm like a bomb!

post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys, thanks for all your well wishing and prayers!!! It truly means a lot to me! As far as the positive attitude, I figure there really isn't much option. I'm not a beaming ray of sunshine all day long, believe me, LOL! But, it is what it is, I know that it will get better as time goes on, and that eventually I will be healed. As far as getting run over, nope. I remember almost all of the accident, including that rear tire slipping, going down, hitting the median, bouncing off and flopping around to a stop. The bike hit a car in the oncoming lane, but not me. That is just what happens when a human body hits solid concrete at about 70 mph.
Well thanks again for all the goodness guys! I'll keep droppin in from time to time.
Stay safe,
Fukken cheers!
Aus,
Erik!!!
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 12:48 AM

Take care, man. Remember to heal the mental stuff as well as the body stuff (of course I am a counselor so I'd say that). Good thoughts your way.

David

David

I always come back from one of these trips with about 350 pictures of my bike - Ewan McGregor
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 06:53 AM

Heal up! Glad you were wearing your gear. Never know what is going to happen.
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

So how you doing big guy??

post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys and gals!!! Sorry it's been a while, but, well, I have no real excuse. So, Bear, and everyone else, here is a little progress report.
I was released from hospital, finally, on the 6th of January, I think that was about the 5th release estimate!!! I am at home now with my parents, I lived there to begin with so that made everything much easier!!! Things at home have been pretty good, although with some challenges. Of course it is awesome to be out of hospital, I now have my Xbox 360, satellite tv with tons of silly channels, and most importantly, REAL FOOD!!! I can tell you right now, hospital food is horrible!!!
I have just seen my trauma and orthopedic surgeons in the last couple of days, and they were all pretty amazed with my healing, not quite born of jackal, but hey... The only thing is my femur is looking like the bone is healing a bit slow, which they said is to be expected, considering the number of injuries my body is trying to heal. The same to a lesser degree for my tibia and fibula. They are getting me a bone stimulator to help with this. I am also finally cleared for full weight bearing on my right leg, and 25 pounds on my left!!! This means I can finally start physical therapy for learning to walk again!!! I am thrilled about this, I cannot even tell you!!!
It has been tough, and I've certainly had my difficulties, mentally with this so far. I am such an active person, and to be stuck with little freedom in my movement has gotten to me at times. But overall, I think I have managed to keep my attitude pretty good!!! I have decided that for sure I will ride again, and on the street. This time though, I think I'm gonna get something a little more Adventure oriented, thinking a KTM 990 Adventure. I'll be far less tempted to pull Moto GP antics on the street with something like that... Well, I hope you are all doing well, and enjoying the ride, even in the cold of winter!!! Oddly, in Colorado we are experiencing 60 degree weather for days!!! I see all the bikes on the road, and dream of my own again!!!
Be safe my friends, wear your fukken gear, and have a lot of damn fun!!!
Cheers,
aus,
Erik!!!
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 01:18 PM

Erik,

Man, thanks for letting us know how you are doing. Sounds like you're coming along "fine", which is better than "not so fine".

I've been keeping you in my prayers every day so don't go and waste them. Keep up your great attitude and patience. Like you said, when you return to riding, leave the MotoGP stuff up to the GP riders on the GP track. Streets are not for GP riding, but I'm fortunately now talking to one that realizes that more than most.

That KTM 990 is nice, but for me as a second bike to the V, that Husqvarna 610 looks good for a bit of short street riding and more serious dirt trails. Even the 500cc dual sports in Husky and KTM look good for that. But for mainly street, that 990 sure looks good. Of course, "good" has its price.

Heal up my friend and remember, just because you can't do all that you want to right now, there is a lot you can do and count your blessings for those.

Always keep in touch.
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Glad to hear from you! Going home sure makes a big difference, doesn't it. My son has been in & out of the hospital a few times throughout his short 16 years. We could always see a big improvement in him after he came home. I believe our mind set & emotional health go hand in hand with healing & physical well being, and it sounds like you're in pretty good spirits.

I really like the KTM big bikes. I wanted one for so long. I have a friend with a 950 (which is what they were before going to 990. You probably know that...). I've ridden it a few times. In fact, I almost bought a used black 950 a few months before the Versys, but backed out. Then of course the Versys came along & I couldn't resist, but that's another story! What great bikes the 990's are. I think you'll really enjoy it, especially in Colorado.

Well, keep in touch & get well!

Rick Peyton

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode