Knee protection - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Knee protection

Does anyone have the Icon Stryker knee armor? It has two lower straps on the calf but nothing that holds the knee protection to the thigh. It seems like it would move around and not be in the right place during a fall.

Other guards seems to put a third strap up top. That seems like a better design.

I'm having a tough time finding a set that provide good protection, can be hidden under jeans, and are 'relatively' comfortable to wear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 09:01 PM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 12:37 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 01:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndhurstMatt View Post
Does anyone have the Icon Stryker knee armor? It has two lower straps on the calf but nothing that holds the knee protection to the thigh. It seems like it would move around and not be in the right place during a fall.

Other guards seems to put a third strap up top. That seems like a better design.

I'm having a tough time finding a set that provide good protection, can be hidden under jeans, and are 'relatively' comfortable to wear.
Have something similar

Can't remember the brand/model ...

2 straps, both under the knee and holding pretty well in place... No complaint on that departement, always wear them under mesh pants, either over regular pant or over naked leg when wearing shorts

So no worry for them being displays during the ride, 2 straps under the knee works

LOP

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 02:20 PM

I have the Alpinestars Reflex knee guards. They just have two straps for the lower leg. I where them under Kevlar jeans so I have no issues then. One time I tried to wear them over the pants and I imagine I looked ridiculous on the bike (thankfully it was at 6 in the morning) since the knee part of the guard just jutted forward.
The Vapor knee guard looks nice.

All in all my recommendation is if these are going underneath pants it won't matter since the pants will hold the top down. If you are wearing these with shorts or on top of the pants get something with a thigh strap.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 03:40 PM

A pair of riding pants or overpants will work better.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 04:18 PM

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68385

I have the old style Icon Fieldarmor ones. They provide a significant amount of protection. Their only failing is that while walking around they want to slip down your leg a bit. Also like any leg armor you will need a loose cut pant to wear it underneath. My protection of choice is these + Draggin Jeans Kevlar liners or Sliders Kevlar jeans.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all for chiming in.

I forgot to mention I wear Drayko and bought then returned the Strykers. They kept sliding down. When I pushed even slightly on the side they moved right off my knee cap. I don't know the stats but I doubt my knee would hit dead straight in an off. More likely I'd slide and knee would hit at an angle.

(Alpinestars reflex) pretty much same design as the Strykers. When I read the reviews one had the same complaint that it needs a strap above the knee.

The pants seem to have pockets armor slides in. With no straps holding it to my cap I expect it won't be in the right place when my knee goes down and will likely move when you start tumbling and pants bunch up and twist.

The Vapor is the closest to the design I'd like. That cap is too massive (look bad under even baggy jeans) though and doesn't look like there is much articulation. I figure great for offroad racing where looks and walking don't matter at all but not as functional for street riding.

I know I'm being picky and taking a lot of guesses at what would happen but I think my train of thought is accurate. I'm going to keep looking around.

Last edited by LyndhurstMatt; 10-18-2012 at 10:13 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I have the ICON field armor leg protectors. No problem sliding down because my tall boots won't let that happen.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 08:26 AM

I wear FOX Titan knee pads under whatever pants I'm wearing.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 10:08 AM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 12:35 PM.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 03:29 PM

I have a pair of SixSixOne knee pads, about 4 or 5 years old, I wear under heavy jeans or overpants. Has 2 straps and stays well put.

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 05:58 PM

I wear Knox flex lite knee armor one strap only very comfy and light
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

I emailed this company to ask if there is above knee support. It's difficult to see. I really like they have a lot of support on the side of the knee.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/evs-sp-knee-guards
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 07:23 PM

The knox looks good. Told the S.O. that would make a fine xmas present. :-)

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 07:19 PM

I also have the Alpinestars Reflex, and I don't have any problem with them moving around. My jeans are a normal fit (not 1970s rock star tight nor 2000s gangster baggy) and they fit comfortably snugly over the knee guards and help keep them still. Plus, as twowheeladdict noted, they fit down into my boots, which also keeps them in place.

I also often wear full-on riding pants. But for short rides, I sometimes just put the knee pads under jeans and I really feel that all I'm giving up is some abrasion protection. My true riding pants are loose enough that the knee pads could be out of position when I need them most. I'm at least as confident the Alpinestars would stay in place.

They're no good for walking, though. I tried a two-mile walk in them once and had raw spots on my knees that hurt by the time I got back to the bike. Never again.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 08:00 AM

I like the look of the Knox Lite type. Unobtrusive. Can anybody say how any of these feel after 6 or 7 hours in the saddle? In hot weather? Does that elastic part get sweaty and irritable or binding?
Good thread, these may be my next purchase.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

EVS SP knee guards

I couldn't be happier with this purchase. Above the knee strap keeps the cup right on top of my knee cap where I need it. There is an elastic band between the knee cup and shin protection so you can comfortably bend and keep the armor in place. There are pads and hard plastic pieces on the side which is where I expect to take an initial hit in a fall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (54.8 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by LyndhurstMatt; 10-25-2012 at 06:18 PM.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 06:47 PM

Heya blip Ive worn the Knox's riding from Melbourne to Sydney in one hit around 11 hours in the saddle, no dramas. They have ventilation holes in the protective foam and the stretchy fabric acts just like a sock around your knee, you don't even know they are there when your riding.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
don't become complacent about the risk of crashing!

I see a lot of people riding in jackets and gloves but without leg protection. I've been limping around this last week, unable to bend my leg due to swelling, with no skin on my knee all resulting from a ~30-50ft slide on pavement in jeans. I can now say with certainty jeans, even heavy jeans, are not abrasion resistant. I obviously wish I had been wearing knee pads or motorcycle pants now. The point being I hope people will avoid drifting into complacency about the risk of crashing, like I did, and always wear armored, abrasion resistant, motorcycle pants or knee guards under kevlar motorcycle jeans because jeans wear through in maybe the first 1ft of a slide and road rash is like someone braising your skin with a blow torch.

Last edited by twowheels; 10-27-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode