4Likes
  • 2 Post By tennistime99
  • 1 Post By james75
  • 1 Post By RKA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Does anyone on here wear the HJC IS-MAX II helmet?

I've been looking at the IS-MAX II and I like the idea that it's pinlock ready, and the pinlock visor is less than $30. Does anyone on here use this helmet with the pinlock visor? I'm just curious is it really does keep the visor from fogging. My current helmet doesn't have a pinlock visor available, so I currently use an anit-fog spray, but I have to reapply it every couple days or it quits working. It just becomes a pita and I'm in the market for a new helmet anyway.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 09:17 PM

I have the IS-17 which is the non-modular version of it. The pinlock visor is worth every penny, with the drop down visor, get the darker tinted one, the one it comes with is a little too light. It is a comfortable helmet, and is decently vented, it is fairly loud so you will want earplugs.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvwbug View Post
I have the IS-17 which is the non-modular version of it. The pinlock visor is worth every penny, with the drop down visor, get the darker tinted one, the one it comes with is a little too light. It is a comfortable helmet, and is decently vented, it is fairly loud so you will want earplugs.
Thanks for the response! I didn't know they made a darker drop down visor, that's good to know. And I've already lost too much hearing so I wear earplugs every ride.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I just got a CL Maxx II.........does not have the dark drop down. I haven't had it long enough to see if it fogs or not. I generally don't have any problem with fogging though.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by james75 View Post
Thanks for the response! I didn't know they made a darker drop down visor, that's good to know. And I've already lost too much hearing so I wear earplugs every ride.
I bought this one after my original one broke.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SXGN7IK..._4-UVAbKSK2EVP

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
james75 and jensen_53 like this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 11:08 AM

I've had my HJC IS-MAX II for one season and love it. I wear glasses and the modular feature allows me to put the helmet on with my glasses on. I also like the drop down tinted visor and am not aware they offer darker internal visors, external yes though.
I'm 5'11" @ 220# and I had to get XXL to feel comfortable and I don't have a real pudgy face.
I bought all white but would have liked a model with hi-vis yellow features.
Happy shopping.
PJ
North Dakota
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensen_53 View Post
I've had my HJC IS-MAX II for one season and love it. I wear glasses and the modular feature allows me to put the helmet on with my glasses on. I also like the drop down tinted visor and am not aware they offer darker internal visors, external yes though.
I'm 5'11" @ 220# and I had to get XXL to feel comfortable and I don't have a real pudgy face.
I bought all white but would have liked a model with hi-vis yellow features.
Happy shopping.
PJ
North Dakota
Thanks for the info. I tried a Large on at my local shop and it felt great on my head. I shave my head so helmet fit is very important to me, as with no hair as a cushion, you feel everything. I also wear glasses and it accommodated them well. It seems like a really solid helmet. I plan to pick one up in silver later this week.

And I did do some looking online, and they do make a darker tinted internal drop down visor. They also make a yellow tint one. I going to get the pinlock insert and the chin curtain, but will hold off on the darker internal visor until I see if the stock one is okay for me.
jensen_53 likes this.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 08:05 PM

Have one. It's okay, XL (big noggin' has me) It is louder than most. The little grabby thing to lower the tinted visor broke. The clear visor that came with the helmet is much more clear than the backup I purchased. Installed a pinlock and like that a lot. Definitely not designed for riding with chinbar up. Does help at fueling time even though I've had attendants ask for me to remove my helmet before they will turn on the pump (only twice).

I will go with a Neotec when I get a chance but they are rather pricey,
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 09:42 PM

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ner-sun-shield

The internal visor. Available in light smoke (what comes by default in the helmet), dark smoke and amber.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 11:30 PM
RKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by james75 View Post
I've been looking at the IS-MAX II and I like the idea that it's pinlock ready, and the pinlock visor is less than $30. Does anyone on here use this helmet with the pinlock visor? I'm just curious is it really does keep the visor from fogging. My current helmet doesn't have a pinlock visor available, so I currently use an anit-fog spray, but I have to reapply it every couple days or it quits working. It just becomes a pita and I'm in the market for a new helmet anyway.
I have the IS-17 and like @mrvwbug said its a bit noisy but otherwise comfortable helmet with an excellent SHARP rating.

I use the pinlock insert and two things I have noted are
- first the pinlock insert is super easy to scratch and becomes a pain during night riding (which I do a lot of and had to replace within 4 months and then I became super careful)
- second if the pinlock insert is cold when you put it on it will fog up (once the anti-fog coating on it gets old), however it will clear up in a bit once the insert gets warmed up.

However in case of a modular if you open up for a long enough period in the cold I think the pinlock insert will get cold and when you close the front you might see the initial fogging. Again nothing wrong with the pinlock its just the way it works so being aware helps I think.
james75 likes this.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 11:00 AM

Garage
I picked an IS-MAX II when I got my v (discount in the accessory shop for buying a new bike) to try modulars out. I did notice it being heavier than my HJC FG-17 but loved the extra features (and ease to put on without taking my glasses off). Unfortunately, after about 30-45 minutes of wearing the helmet I got a severe headache... every time I wore the helmet. Eventually figured out the shape of the helmet did not fit my head.

Great helmet. Got the pinlock insert for it and enjoyed that (looking to get the pinlock insert on my FG-17 for this season).

2017 Versys 650 - Barkbusters, Koko Nut, T-Rex Engine Guard, Givi Radiator Guard.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 01:42 PM

I got the IS Max ll last spring after getting dizzy from researching modular helmets. Noise,heat,weight.... Cutting the weight down is an issue worth investing in. Some expensive modulars cut down noise but trap the heat. I did a little enlarging of the top vent channeling on mine and installed foam inserts in the ear flaps. My fit is capable of fitting a skull cap inside if my head gets cold. Anyways,I wear transition glasses and I haven't bothered with the pin-lock yet as my previous experience was that I didn't like looking through a third layer of plastic(or fourth with the drop down sun visor).But my other helmet had pin-lock visor when cold,works like it should. Take care wiping it,like the visors.Use the same care as cleaning glasses,its a costly little item.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:54 AM

Garage
Living here in sunny California (until the next wet season, we don't really have "winter") I haven't any interest in the pinlock, but the rest of the helmet is a nice hat. A bit noisy, but (shrug). I wear earplugs anyhow.

Thanks for letting us know about the darker internal visor. I ordered it, and it's not *that* much darker than the one that comes with the helmet, don't think "Men in Black" dark. Still, it's enough darker to be worth it to me.

2018 Versys-X 300 ABS. Former bikes: 1983 Honda FT500 Ascot, 1985 Honda XL-350, 2001 Kawasaki KLR-650, 2003 Kawasaki Concours, 2008 Suzuki V-Strom 650.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode