New Cheap Motorcycle GPS - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
New Cheap Motorcycle GPS option

Just purchased this motorcycle GPS kit including all mounting hardware for car and bike for $122 CDN (CDN and US dollars are currently almost identical in value so price should be same in US). Will post a review when I receive it and have a chance to use it.

Last edited by twowheels; 09-29-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Interesting...looking forward to your review. I just bought this one a month ago. So far very satisfied. Only annoying thing is the touchscreen is years away from iphone touchscreen accuracy for example, sometimes you need to touch 2-3 times to get it to register...but otherwise the GPS itself is very accurate so far, offers good battery life (though I plug mine into the bike through USB connector. And at 209$ it's still 1/3 of the price of the other motorcycle GPS out there, and still a Garmin...
http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/nuvi550.html
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 04:01 PM

I've been using a nuvi 550 for three years now. The first one died on me a couple of months ago. Screen went black. Something must have come loose inside. Got a refurbished unit as exchange for $99. Ive been happy with it. I think a vibration dampening mount would have extended the life of the unit.

The 550 is like the ZUMO 220 minus lane assist and bluetooth.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Just purchased this motorcycle GPS kit including all mounting hardware for car and bike for $122 CDN (CDN and US dollars are currently almost identical in value so price should be same in US). Will post a review when I receive it and have a chance to use it.

Don't want to burst your balloon, but there isn't any maps or software included, I have seen Garmin GPS's on sale for $200 with software.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 06:26 AM

I have one that looks very similar. It is marketed in Germany by PEARL, a company specialized in gadgets and gizmos from asia. Pice is 169-199euro with German/European maps. The hardware looks just the same, and it comes with a custom iGo Primo software.

Most mobile GPS units are running Windows CE, so with some IT skills you should be able to get the software from many other deivces to run. Mine is running iGo8.3 MyWay with a special "skin" installed for easier riding on pc planed routes. Some riders prefer the Navigon software (from Navigon car GPS units).

You can find similar devices on http://www.alibaba.com/ - a place for chinese manufactorers and importing traders, around $100.

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 07:47 AM

I had a good chuckle at the product photos on that website...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 07:48 AM

I'm anxiously awaiting on the review of this!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 09:31 AM

So are those the "curves in front of you"?
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
I'm anxiously awaiting on the review of this!
There is a 180+ post thread / review, on this product on the Versys.co.uk site - http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php/topic,11389.0.html

Richard

at
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 08:09 PM

bought a Zumo 665 in August, died out of the box (was a refurbished unit), Garmin fixed it, no issues now. Touchscreen can be a little on the "touchy" side with gloves on, but I've got the XM activated on it and that is actually where I have more problems.

'09 Candy Plasma Blue Versys 650 (the fastest color)
Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 10:05 AM

I bought the same unit recently for about US$100. Seems very well built and sturdy. It did not come preloaded with any software or maps but easily fixed by going to gpsunderground where the necessary software and maps are available. I loaded both IGO Primo and 8.3 on my unit.

Is it possible to load Garmin too? I thought that for Garmin, it needs to be proprietary machines?
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
This arrived the other day. The included hardware is pretty substantial including everything required to connect it to your bike and use it in your car. It is more comparable to the $600 Garmin Zumo motorcycle GPS than the cheap GPS units you see discounted to $100. It also includes Windows CE on ROM. The only thing missing is an AC charger although you could use one of those cigarette lighter sockets that plugs in the wall. IT WILL NOT CHARGE FROM THE USB CORD INCLUDED FROM YOUR COMPUTER EVEN THOUGH THE CAR POWER SUPPLY USES THE USB PLUG. This fact confused me initially until I figured out I had to use my motor cycle battery trickle charger connected to the motorcycle bracket to initially charge it up overnight so I could configure it.

The big issue with this unit is you have to provide your own navigation software and maps. If you can get past this issue it is a really great deal for a motorcycle GPS (that is shock proof, water proof and comes with 2 cradles as well as two power supply cables, one for the bike and one for the car. There is nothing else required to use it on both your bike and in your car, but.... if your not at least a little bit computer savvy or are expecting the simplicity of a plug and play experience don't buy this unit. Software (iGo8 or iGo Primo) and the latest maps (NAVTEC - same as all GPS units) can be downloaded free on the GPS forums. Basically you download the the software and maps as RAR files (compressed file like a zip file). You then extract them on your computer. When you extract the software from the RAR file it forms a directory tree with all the included files in the right place except the map and poi (point of interest files). The map and poi files included with the map data (downloaded separately) then have to be copied into the MAP and POI directories. You then just plug your GPS unit into the computer and copy over the software's root directory. Once you configure the unit so it can find the iGo software it boots right up into iGo Primo. While it was not difficult to get the software running it did take some time spent surfing the GPS forums to get the necessary info but once you have the info you can do the initial install or software and map data in a matter of minutes.

I installed iGo Primo (December 2011 release) which is the latest software package from iGo. It actually is the same software found on a lot of car manufacturer's GPS units. It uses NAVTEC maps which are the industry standard and used by almost all GPS units. The latest version of these are usually posted on the GPS forums.

Downloads for iGo Primo software (newest version)
http://gpsunderground.com/forum/igo-...wnload%5D.html

Downloads for iGo software and maps
http://www.navitotal.com/forumdispla...oMap-and-other

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerMan View Post
There is a 180+ post thread / review, on this product on the Versys.co.uk site - http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php/topic,11389.0.html

Richard
I read through most of this thread, it's actually 19 pages and with only a few exceptions it can be condensed down to the info in my above post.

Last edited by twowheels; 10-20-2012 at 04:27 PM.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 01:10 PM

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Been using this for a while now in the car but only got the motorcycle cradle permanently mounted to the bike over the weekend. Sorry about poor picture quality, my camera phone over exposed it so you cannot see screen. I used a SW-Motech GPS mount which I bought used from a forum member rather than the included handle bar mount. Even thought the mount plate is drilled to fit a Garmin Zumo the holes aligned perfectly with the Peaklife motorcycle cradle.

I can confirm it is waterproof after two rides in the rain. Also the touch screen works well with motorcycle gloves - not all touch screens do. The voice prompts are well timed and eliminate the need to look at the screen, the only issue is you need a Bluetooth helmet communications system to use this feature on the bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gps2.jpg (148.6 KB, 7059 views)
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Looks like a nice unit for the budget minded who have technical savvy.

I found a Garmin 765T refurb for $125 delivered 18 months ago. I thought I would abuse it as my my first foray into GPS devices and then buy a motorcycle specific device. This thing takes a licking and keeps on ticking. It has stereo MP3 player, Bluetooth, FM transmitter, voice prompts, lane assist, traffic alerts, custom routes, and sometimes the auto routes actually don't frustrate me.

I will never own a GPS device that does not allow me to create custom routes. I want to search out and find all the fun roads and avoid large towns when I travel.

Will this chinavision GPS allow you to create custom routes?

My Versys Travels:

post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Looks like a nice unit for the budget minded who have technical savvy.

I found a Garmin 765T refurb for $125 delivered 18 months ago. I thought I would abuse it as my my first foray into GPS devices and then buy a motorcycle specific device. This thing takes a licking and keeps on ticking. It has stereo MP3 player, Bluetooth, FM transmitter, voice prompts, lane assist, traffic alerts, custom routes, and sometimes the auto routes actually don't frustrate me.

I will never own a GPS device that does not allow me to create custom routes. I want to search out and find all the fun roads and avoid large towns when I travel.

Will this chinavision GPS allow you to create custom routes?
Yes, like any GPS it does the routing for you based on how you set up your routing preferences. You can also create custom routes on the unit simply by selecting way points along your route. You can also import/export routes from or to Google Earth.

Last edited by twowheels; 10-17-2012 at 12:06 PM.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 11:59 AM

I was trying to find a software to make custom routes on my computer and then simply transfer to my Garmin NUvi 550. But no luck so far, I can only transfer points and then need to make a route out of those points in the GPS. One day...one day, Garmin will make a software to simply transfer Google map routes to their GPS...until then, it's driving me nuts everytime I want to make a route with more then 2-3 points...
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawa007 View Post
I was trying to find a software to make custom routes on my computer and then simply transfer to my Garmin NUvi 550. But no luck so far, I can only transfer points and then need to make a route out of those points in the GPS. One day...one day, Garmin will make a software to simply transfer Google map routes to their GPS...until then, it's driving me nuts everytime I want to make a route with more then 2-3 points...
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 12:22 PM

Thanks, I'll give that a try.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 12:35 PM

I get an error...would have been great if it worked...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
gps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode